Nicky Marrero and Manny Oquendo

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Nicky Marrero and Manny Oquendo

Postby martingoodson » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:19 pm

I am going to buy some timbales. I want to acheive a sound as close as possible to the sound on these amazing timbales solos

Nicky Marrero on hermanidad fania live at yankee stadium II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmTEeN_XUy8)

Manny Oqundo of Anabacoa Grupo Folklorico Experimental Neoyorkino (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh2ebm_-8HU)

I am thinking of the LP prestige Timbales. For the experts in the group: should I get the 14" and 15" or 13" and 14" timbales to achieve the sound I am looking for?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Martin
martingoodson

Re: Nicky Marrero and Manny Oquendo

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:33 pm

Greetings martingoodson. If cost is not an issue I would personally recommend the Tito Puente series 14' & 15" which has in many cases become the Industry standard. You will no doubt get the sound that you are looking for with these Timbales in fact it's probably the most common amongst professionals.
Good luck
KING CONGA

Postby jesse_velazquez » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:43 pm

I agree with that. These are the most used Timbales. If you are exactly looking for the exact sound of Nicky from that era, you would have to check for the LP Timbales with the Gold and Black Badge, these surface on ebay from time to time. Also, for more of a Manny Oquendo sound, I would suggest looking in to the Thunder Timbs 15/16, they have a more deeper sound and are more used in Charangas.
jesse_velazquez

Postby salsapati » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:55 pm

They both used 13 14 when those records were recorded papa.. U should also consider having a pair of both 13 14 and
14 15 that way u cover all the bases and from there is just becomes all about tuning and dynamics... Good Luck
salsapati

Postby martingoodson » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:27 am

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I am not so much going for what is most popular at the moment and I am more interested in the older sound. I think I'll take salsapati's advice and go for the 13 and 14"

thanks again to all for taking the time to reply - anyone got another opinion?

Martin
martingoodson

Postby Callao » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:31 pm

I agree with jesee velasquez i have owned and still have many sets of timbales and i recorded myself playing...get the old lps with ambassador coated drumheads if u want to achieve that sound, the new ones will give a more loud tight ,brighter modern sound.
Callao

Return to Timbales