Timbales:Custom Builders?Help Appreciated.

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Timbales:Custom Builders?Help Appreciated.

Postby norskdrum » Wed May 02, 2012 1:18 pm

:D :?: Hello Once again....
As I had just posted the same question but on the CONGA forum I thought I would ask on the TIMBALES Forum..who out there is the Mat Smith Of Custom TIMBALES makers :?:

I do not wish to bore folks but I am kind of running before I can walk...Time is really not on my side and seems to be ebbing away at an alarming rate.
I am already convinced I should take Proffessional lessons either in the USA or elsewhere to learn at least the correct habbits..this applies equally to the Conga`s I know it`s a lot to take on at the same time...but I need this challange and I need to achieve something in my life.I have to prove something to myself..and at this point I will not go to deep.

If I finally opt for Mat Smith Congas then I thought what the hell lets go for the some of the best Timbales to :idea: Not the normal way of doing things I know..

I am due a quite large back payment from UK Government :x being waiting 10 years to date lets hope it arrives before I am pushing up the daisies :wink:

anyway if anyone can give me links and a short list to look at with any personal thoughts I would be very much obliged

Best Wishes Steve :mrgreen:
norskdrum

Re: Timbales:Custom Builders?Help Appreciated.

Postby ABAKUA » Wed May 02, 2012 3:35 pm

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby norskdrum » Wed May 02, 2012 3:54 pm

:oops: Hello ABAKUA hope you are well..
I must apoligise to you and fellow members,i`m afraid my memory is not good..and I should have checked my old threads as I had totally forgotton that Mat also makes wonderful Timbales...I had actually seen the video about a year ago now and it could well have being you who kindly linked me?

I have a very vague notion that I read somewhere could well have being on these boards? that someone critisised certain aspects of mats manufacturing techniques..it sort of dwells in the back of my mind? maybe someone can refresh my memory on this and what excactly was the critisism.

So Mat is first on the Timbales list (at present) hope I may get one or two other comparable builders (if they excist?)

many thanks
Steve
norskdrum

Postby ABAKUA » Thu May 03, 2012 1:32 am

There are a set of JCR timbales up for sale on this forum, they look great: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7898
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby norskdrum » Thu May 03, 2012 7:16 am

:D Morning Abukua
Great to hear from you again...I really thank you for passing on the link to the JCR Timbales
good price as well.

AS previously mesioned am not ready to buy just yet..and I really wish to spend time narrowing the wish list...I do not mind ordering from the USA even though the costs are frightening to ship.Just wish to make sure I am totally cool with the decition.sure you understand.

All the best for now
cheers Steve :D
norskdrum

Postby salsapati » Thu May 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi There Norsdrum i'm the owner of those copper timbales with real skin u saw on the video made by matt. Just get a him to make u a pair.. They sound great and also there's not to many people that make hand made timbales outside of cali from jcr and matt smith. Peace
salsapati

Postby norskdrum » Thu May 10, 2012 4:08 pm

:mrgreen: Hello salsapati
Really great to hear from you and what a recommendation.so they were your timbales Matt was making
you must be very proud of them.
and you beleive there is nothing else comes near? am I correct.

Matt is already at the top of my Conga drum list followed by Resolution & Isla

but ther are 2 x German & 1 x Danish makers that seem to make excellent Congas so am waiting for some feedback on them

very best wishes Steve :D
norskdrum

Return to Timbales