old lp timbales question

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

old lp timbales question

Postby musiqman » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:58 pm

So i've bought these 13/15 (yea strange combi, yet works perfect together) LP stainless steel timbales.

Before the serious cleaning (they were a total mess) :

After the cleaning (latest picture with Remo Starfire heads)

Now i'm wandering from which period of tim they are. They have the 3th bead at the bottom (which came with a green badge) but already a gold badge (which came with the models without 3th bead) The badges are original. The stand (LP prestige) was bought separately.
musiqman

Re: old lp timbales question

Postby 11am » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:24 pm

Now i'm wandering from which period of tim they are. They have the 3th bead at the bottom (which came with a green badge) but already a gold badge (which came with the models without 3th bead) The badges are original. The stand (LP prestige) was bought separately.

22.jpg

This was my set up in 1972-1973, I was playing with King Curtis's former Lead Vocalist at the time, David Ward. I was playing Rogers and had just switched over to LP's. It's been a while, but I seem to remember that LP just started to make Timbales around then. ( I could be wrong) The first ones had green badges, at least the brass ones did.
11am

Postby Thebreeze » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:30 pm

musiqman.... As far as your question, I am not sure myself. I have the green badge models. But I wanted to add something to the sizes that you have, 13 and 15 inch. I think that is a great setup because...and I think this is a subject that does not come up very often is.. Some people like to crank up their Timbale heads a little too much and you will notice that the sides where the brackets are will even start caving in a little bit becuase there really isn't much support to prevent that from happening. But with a setup like you have, the 13 inch head is already tuned high so you do not need to tighten it as much and that will prevent the sides from caving in. I have seen this in many pictures of timbales and I am sure many of the forum members have noticed this too.
Thebreeze

Postby pcastag » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:56 pm

I just sold a set of gold badge tito's with the outer flange. Definitely newer made in thailand, but still had the old school heavy shells. I think they took away that flange when they started makingthe thinner shells.
PC
pcastag

Return to Timbales