JCR Timbal Bell Buzzing

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

JCR Timbal Bell Buzzing

Postby RetroVintageDrummer » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:12 am

Timbaleros,

I have a JCR Timbal bell that buzzes every time it is hit. I bought it brand new a year ago from Rhythm Traders in Oregon and it was like this from day one. I haven't used it since I got it. Does it need to be broken in, or is it just defective?

Thanks,
AndyG
RetroVintageDrummer

Re: JCR Timbal Bell Buzzing

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:48 am

Andy, basically all bell have more or less strong overtones, otherwise they would
not be able to carry their sound through the mix.
Some bell are ringy to an annoying extent though, especially when you practice,

If that is what you mean by buzzing, well ,t hat is nothing defective, but rather normal.
Taping the bell mouth or attaching a piece of felt or foam inside are common methods
to lessen this ringing.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby RetroVintageDrummer » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:17 am

I've owned many bells over the years and this isn't your normal buzz. It's almost like it has a crack somewhere and is producing an abnormal unwanted sound. I showed this to another well respected timbalero in my city and he thought it must be cracked somewhere, but then again I showed it to another old school percussionist who said I need to tape it up and muffle it and that'll solve my problem. I have since stopped muffling my bells as it leaves that nasty residue and now use "Moon Gels". Thank you for your input though Mike.
RetroVintageDrummer

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:40 am

Hi RVD,

choosing bells is much like choosing cymbals. If you order one without testing it, you run the risk of receiving an instrument that has unpleasant overtones or interferences of vibrations. The more you stop the sustain, by taping or muffling it, or by just slightly pressing the stick with each stroke, the less it will ring, and consequently the overtones will be less annoying. This will not make it a better instrument, though.

A real buzz, however, I would most certainly ascribe to an imperfect soldering or welding of a seam. You can cut it down by muffling the bell with whatever, but it will still have that crackling, un-resonant sound. There may be a few people who find it funky in a positive sense, and work with that sound musically, but I cannot imagine to really enjoy it. If you have the option, return the bell.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby RetroVintageDrummer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:15 am

Gracias for your input Thomas. I would have loved to have picked these bells myself, but there is no dealer of JCR timbal bells near me. The Guitar Center near me only carries cha cha bells and bongo bells. I'll experiment with taping this one and hopefully save it. I bought this bell over a year ago and am now finally messing around with it after putting it on my shelf for a while haha so it's way too late for me to return this bell now.
RetroVintageDrummer

Return to Timbales