Bamboche

One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Forum rules
One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Lets keep it positive.

Re: Bamboche

Postby windhorse » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:09 pm

Well, the programs I used are presently in a state of flux. I use a retina 15 inch macbook pro 2013, which is still going strong. I film with my I phone on a tripod. Camtasia is the video editing software, but I'll probably move to Final Cut Pro when this version stops working. I'm guessing it'll be next time I update the OS. Just Garage Band for sound, and a little bit with Audacity. I've got a really nice USB mic - Samsun G-Track.

When you make it to the Columbia on Vimeo, you'll see this one's noticeably different from the rest, and that one's recorded and edited with my friend Paul who has Final Cut Pro, really nice video cameras - two per shot (1 closeup the other wide angle), and really good dynamic mics.

Thanks for saying something Chtimulato!
-Dave
windhorse

Postby windhorse » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:26 pm

No monetization, no ads, no joining a service. Just a place to look for info you want.
Hopefully this is helpful. :)
https://vimeo.com/772848651
windhorse

Postby windhorse » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:27 pm

Here's Palo. I did all the parts with a click track except for some backup vocals and shaker with a friend.
https://vimeo.com/791340372
windhorse

Postby Chtimulato » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:26 pm

Nice work, windhorse. :)
Chtimulato

Postby Thomas Altmann » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:29 pm

Hi Dave,

sounds pretty good to me!

Not really being an expert on the Congolese stuff, I'd like to know who taught you to apply this type of bell pattern? I remember having heard it somewhere in Arará music, but not in Palo.

Greetings,
Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby windhorse » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:10 pm

Thomas Altmann wrote:Hi Dave,
sounds pretty good to me!
Not really being an expert on the Congolese stuff, I'd like to know who taught you to apply this type of bell pattern? I remember having heard it somewhere in Arará music, but not in Palo.
Greetings,
Thomas

Thanks Thomas. My main teacher here, Dave L. taught Palo to us with this bell. He got it from Geoff Johns, and my knowledge stops there. We call it "long bell" which Dave Peñalosa calls downbeat 6/8 bell. My teacher explains that those songs fit more easily over this bell. I would agree they're tailor made for that bell. I have not heard a Cuban who played bell this way. We asked Lazaro Galarraga once in a lesson, how often they use that bell pattern and he said rarely and usually on slow stuff. Good question.
windhorse

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:22 am

Thank you Dave.

As a matter of fact, I have learned two types or styles of Palo, none of which I found represented in the available field recordings. I might check them again specifically for bell variations, but I tend to confine myself to your information. It is more than an impression of mine that the Congolese culture, being the oldest African tradition in Cuba, has proved to be the most permeable, adaptive, variable, flexible corpus, whatever you call it. No big wonder then, if this bell pattern had its place in Palo, too.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby windhorse » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:36 pm

This latest one is my imitation of Calle 54's "Compa Galletano". It pushed us to our limits (the reason for doing it), as you might imagine if you've heard the song. A virtual masterpiece with so many Afro Cuban legends playing together. Loads of drums with Andy González on bass. So, a very humble interpretation: https://vimeo.com/811053947
windhorse

Previous

Return to *** PHOTOS/VIDEO CLIPS OF YOUR GIGS/JAMS ***