Bongos Not Bombs

One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Forum rules
One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Lets keep it positive.

Re: Bongos Not Bombs

Postby niallgregory » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:00 am

bongosnotbombs wrote:San Francisco has an event called Sunday Streets where they close streets to cars in changing neighborhoods on Sunday.
Last year when it happened in the Mission we had a rumba in front of our main rumba spot.

Rumba at 0:18, 1:48, 3:54
http://www.openfilm.com/videos/streets_ ... sion_2009/

Great vid man , what a lovely idea ! Cant see them doing that in Ireland :oops: Cars rule the streets here .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby windhorse » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:35 pm

Yeah, I thought I recognized the shirt and hands.. 8) :lol:
windhorse

Postby apollo » Tue May 11, 2010 11:43 pm

Hello,
I'm new on Congaplace and from the San Francisco peninsula, from one of your pics it looks like Mission Bay? I see China Basin in the back, and you mentioned Carlos Aldama's class, i'm looking for a hand drum class but most classes seem to be in the east bay which dosn't work for me.
BTW very cool pics and videos BNB.
Thanks,
Apollo
apollo

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed May 12, 2010 12:03 am

We call it McCovey Cove, next to the Giants stadium.
Carlos Aldama teaches in the Mission District of San Francisco.
bongosnotbombs

Postby apollo » Wed May 12, 2010 1:08 am

Ok thanks, I will look into Carlos Aldama classes.
Thanks again
Apollo
apollo

Postby ABAKUA » Wed May 12, 2010 1:18 am

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby windhorse » Wed May 12, 2010 2:10 am

ABAKUA wrote:Have I mentioned recently that I hate you? :lol: :lol:
http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/download/file.php?id=2781&mode=view

Wow! Geordie, are those your tubs? Nice line-up!!
windhorse

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed May 12, 2010 2:51 am

I'm feeling the :evil: :evil: :evil: Abakua , and I don't even have my bongos or bata in that picture!
When you getting that requinto?

Yeah Dave, that's my little collection, you've played on some of them, #2,3,4 from the left.

I can say I've been lucky as far as drums, it may seem like a lot, but they all get played and each set has a purpose.
bongosnotbombs

Postby ABAKUA » Wed May 12, 2010 2:55 am

Should have a few more details tonight, I need to call him to confirm a few things.
Those SOS you got look killer. 8)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:14 am

Taken last week at a jazz gig.
Attachments
Gwordparty1.jpg
bongosnotbombs

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:02 am

A little fun at the Golden Gate Park drum circle. Yeah I know it's a drum circle, but sometimes it's fun to make some noise with the crazies in the warm California sunshine. At least no one yells at you for crossing the clave 8) That's my beautiful JCR bongo bell I'm playing in this picture.
Attachments
181663_500290747014_583147014_6693721_5779630_n.jpg
Last edited by bongosnotbombs on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:03 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:Thought I would post up in here and get a section rolling.

Here are a couple pictures of my defunct band BruMar. I played bongos. A sweet pair of Meinl Woodcraft bongos.
In the end they were too wide for me.

It was a fun band, our singer was from Portugal and could sing in 3 languages. A couple of classical guitars and myself.
We did a few bossa nova tunes, some fado and some flamenco adaptions.

Very Nice postings ! I like the Meinl Bongos too but same deal, I did not care for such a wide set, For years I used them only as mounted bongos & finaly sold them to a friend for $220 + a new pair of Matador bongos ( he got a great up grade ! I lost $$ on the deal, but helped a fellow drummer. The drums I sold were the 20 year anniversary model that matched my Brass set & SS set of Luis Conte timbales that I bartered for some P.A. systems. The shells were great but a bit to large & heads would bond up & not tune well I I was disgusted in that ass backward devolutionary model that should at least have a free floating shell that fits standard drum heads correctly. Besides...the Bongos do not match my GB congas :)[attachment=0]My meinl bongos.jpg[/attachment
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:20 pm

windhorse wrote:

Wow! Geordie, are those your tubs? Nice line-up!!

SWEET collection except for the Isla Quinto. That company needs a total redesign of the incredibly crude hard wares.A close up inspection shows the hooks will not tune down into the lug w/u seizing up, the crown are not pre beveled edges before assemble w/ the crude attachments to the hooks & the side plates are crude as well. The handle is very lame & will scratch other drums & not even feel good to hold ! The shells are great as far as I see in web site but REALLY ! ? WOW, Devolutionary not offering any refinement at all. It amazes me that people actually buy this design. The first time I saw them, I thought they were made in China knock offs for student level markets in Europe ? I see the potential with the cool shells & great selection in heads for traditional sounding drums here, but the hard wares ~ even though they use low grade stainless steel, are going to be very problematic to the user & may fail by warping crowns & hooks that have no room to enter the tuning lug which limit tuning. What a wasted effort ! The bongos are not any better, I would not trust them between my legs w/ all the sharp edges & not very dependable hard wares.The photo shows heads are flush to the head ( they don't allow for comfort ? The bands are strong but protrude out w/ edges as well. Hmmmm, Let me know how these drums perform or fail OK ?
Islacongasbonga.jpg
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:37 pm

Right now Im using my Meinls 'free ride' bongos..with a Remo Nuskyn on the macho and natural skin on the hembra

Here i am on a gig here in Seattle playing them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PEzNn-f0T4

I am now waiting for my New Volcano bongos soon to arrive... I know they will surpass any bongos I have ever played on ....

Here i am using my Meinls on a gig with artist Omar Torrez
OMAR TORRES 4.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Ernesto Pediangco wrote:SWEET collection except for the Isla Quinto. Hmmmm, Let me know how these drums perform or fail OK ?
Islacongasbonga.jpg

Correction, they are ALL great drums!
Last edited by bongosnotbombs on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
bongosnotbombs

PreviousNext

Return to *** PHOTOS/VIDEO CLIPS OF YOUR GIGS/JAMS ***