Bamboche

One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Forum rules
One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Lets keep it positive.

Re: Bamboche

Postby windhorse » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:37 pm

All in all, a great time! And well worth saving up all year for the big expense! Still quite a bit less than going out of country!
Attachments
Thom .jpg
Thom, my teacher and friend
Vanessa & Mike.jpg
Another shot of Vanessa and Mike
windhorse

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:06 am

Thanks for sharing these! I would love to attend one of these, maybe next year. :|
Any more videos from the rumba?
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby windhorse » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:13 am

Unfortunately no..
At least nothing I feel Okay about sharing publicly.

You can PM me, and I'll load you up with hours and hours of study material with various media that'll fit on an 8 gig flash drive that you mail to me, and I send back full.
But it goes with a fellow rumbero's honor code of not posting any of it publicly, or giving it to anyone who might not use it for the betterment of their own playing skills..

Dave
windhorse

Postby windhorse » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:23 pm

We just had a gig last week at our school. It was a fundraiser for a girl's school in Africa.
We played a small folkloric complement of Bembe, bata rumba, rumba, and Iyesa.
I'm now the lead singer in the group, so times are a changin!
Attachments
nov17.jpg
7 of us playing! Opening with a Razo then Bembe
nov172.jpg
Dancer's name is Bajo!
nov173.jpg
She looks really good when she's dancing!
nov174.jpg
Iyesa
nov175.jpg
gettin' down on shakers!
windhorse

Postby congamyk » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:19 am

windhorse wrote:Small movie clip of me playing with school choir a few weeks ago. Can you tell what folkloric rhythm I'm playing?
http://mrcrowder.us/cong/ch11.mov

Love this song! The choir director is awesome! :D
congamyk

Postby windhorse » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:35 am

Thanks Mike!
windhorse

Postby windhorse » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:56 am

Lately we've been honing up our chops on our Haitian repertoire. What with all the Haitian fund-raisers lately. We played at one in Ft. Collins a few weeks ago where they raised $10,000 for 3 different relief projects. Then, we did one last Sat. The next, which should be the biggest yet, is on March 13th. in Boulder. Wish us luck! :D

Here's Dave teaching us how Nous Rive fits over long bell: :mrgreen: sweet isn't it?
http://mrcrowder.us/cong/NousRive.mov

And here's a session working on Congo: 8) Makes me want to dance!
http://mrcrowder.us/cong/Congo.mov

Dave
windhorse

Postby windhorse » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:56 pm

Here's the poster for the next show at Naropa in Buolder Mar. 13th
Attachments
Haiti Concert Poster.jpg
windhorse

Postby windhorse » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:29 am

http://mrcrowder.us/cong/nousrive.mp3

Recording with Samson USB mic and garageband, I'm singing Nous Rivez & playing Haitian long 6/8 bell.
We did this song over Yonvolu rhythm at the show.

I had only 3 weeks to learn the song cold. It was work, but now that it has been four weeks, I still sorta like it.
windhorse

Bamboche at Streetside dance class

Postby windhorse » Mon May 31, 2010 6:20 pm

Last week's performance with Ramòn Dancing. The woman is one of his students.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER7bPCj3pUE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BQA_CxXjgU
windhorse

Postby CongaTick » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:13 pm

Superb.
CongaTick

The Perfect Gig!

Postby windhorse » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:28 pm

What makes THE PERFECT GIG?

Thom, Eric, Ritz, Scott, and I just played yesterday at “the NIC fest” in Casper Wyoming. The three letters “NIC” are the first letters of the museum in Casper - Nicolaysen Art Museum
http://www.thenic.org/
K2 radio of Casper sponsored our group “Tambores Afrocubano”.
http://www.k2radio.com/index.php
http://www.nicfest.org/Entertainment.html

Photos to come soon!!

#1 - $$$$$! We each got $400!!! for a total of $2000 paid to the whole group of 5! (not including accommodations!) That’s the most I’ve ever been paid for playing music! Our main teacher said, “Finally! It’s about time we get paid what we deserve for playing this music!”

#2 Accommodations and food/and or travel expenses are covered by the client.
We were set up in a Holiday Inn which had recently been renovated. The shower was as big as my entire bathroom, and the bed was King sized! Largest bed I’ve ever slept in! And we each got our own room! The hotel employees loved us, and we got free drinks the night before the gig with some homemade chips and an awesome seafood bisque to die for! I went down stairs for a stationary bike workout in the morning, and Scott hot-tubbed.

#3 The client is kind and supportive.
I can’t say enough how impressed I was with the locals in Casper. Everyone smiled at us! People move out of the way for you in Casper, and they’re courteous. No one is in a hurry, quite the opposite from Boulder.. Our theory for this phenomenal kindness was that people in Wyoming are much more spread out than the front range of Colorado. They look at acres and acres of untouched land, whereas we are packed in tightly like so many cities. This makes people much happier to see and interact with others of their own kind, since they don’t see them as often as people in crowded cities. I’ll buy this theory because I’ve seen it in the kids I teach. There is definitely a difference in city kids and rural kids.

#4 Nothing is required of you other than to do what you do, and enjoy yourself.
Our only requirement was to play 6 times for 30 minutes each round at one hour intervals. This was so that we would fill the sound gap between bands that played on the main stage. we had our own separate tent far enough away from the other stage that the other performers were never annoyed by our tapping, discussing, teaching passersby various drum principles, and occasional rogue rhythms. A small rain late in the day left us dry and happy with the solid tent canopy above us. We played bembes, guiros, guarapachangueos, guaguancos, Iyesas, a Mozambique, Comparsa, Yuka, Yambu, Congo, and bata llongo & Obatala. We simplified by not having to deal with microphones, speakers, and sound engineers. Everything is so much easier without all the wires and crap getting in the way.

#5 The crowd loves you.
I’ve never seen so many people stand and watch with their jaws agape in awe! Many people from each crowd that came to watch us approached the stage and made it a point to thank us. A few would come back for every performance as they were “hooked” on our sound. A cute local gal Jennelle, hired to photo-shoot the festival, really liked us and got numerous photos of us. (yes, we're supposed to get some from her) Later, it turned out that she had a huge crush on Ritz. Yeah!! The irresistible Italian Stallion - who could blame her? So, she hung out with us most of the day. We let her play shaker on a song and sing a rap at one point. She had a grand time, as we did with her and her friends. At one point we were told by a crowd member that a guy sitting out there was a percussionist. So, we let him play bell on an Iyesa, and he did great. He definitely swelled with pride when he went back out with his family!

#6 Nothing goes wrong, and no equipment loss or bodily injury.
It was sunny and beautiful on the drive up, and most Saturday when we played. Of course there are always going to be small mistakes that certain band members will make that only get noticed by the band, but beyond that, we nailed endings, played with strength and inspiration, no instrument losses or breaks, no injuries, cars made it the long journey, and no fights or complaints between us and the crowd!

The perfect gig!! I doubt if happens more than once in a lifetime!

Dave
windhorse

Re: The perfect gig

Postby windhorse » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:36 am

Some of the pics so far. These are reposted from Janelle's Facebook page.
Attachments
dave.jpg
yours truly
daveshaker.jpg
ericbw.jpg
Eric
ericdrum.jpg
Ritzcolor.jpg
Ritz
Last edited by windhorse on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
windhorse

Postby windhorse » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:38 am

Some more..
Attachments
ritzthombata.jpg
Ritz and Thom on Bata
ritzthomscottbw.jpg
Ritz Thom and Scott
scott.jpg
Scott
thomkata.jpg