Light Seeker Gig Pics

One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Forum rules
One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Lets keep it positive.

Light Seeker Gig Pics

Postby Light Seeker » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:11 am

Couple of pics from a gig I played with my band, Umoja Orchestra, on Saturday, 12/6 in Gainesville, with my new Islas.
Last edited by Light Seeker on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Light Seeker

Re: Light Seeker Gig Pics

Postby Light Seeker » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:19 am

This is Fundamento Rumbero, a University of Florida ensemble that I'm in, directed by Johnny Frias of Rumbakua.
There's Johnny on the left, with one of the dancers.

Same performance... I just like this photo a lot for its aesthetic value. The music auditorium at UF is gorgeous; it's kind of like a cathedral inside, with huge vaulted ceilings and stained glass windows.

Same ensemble, earlier performance. There I am on quinto cajon. The girl on the left, on tumba, is a PhD student from China. She has no background whatsoever in percussion-based music, let alone Afro-Cuban. Most of the people in this ensemble had little to no experience with Afro-Cuban music, but Johnny is an excellent teacher and made the ensemble sound surprisingly decent despite that fact.
Light Seeker

Postby Light Seeker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:26 pm

These are pics from a Fundamento Rumbero end-of-semester party that I hosted at my house. We set up a PA system and had food and drinks. The ensemble played a couple sets of rumba, and for the rest of the night we played salsa and had a dance party in my living room. I thought it would be kind of small, but a lot of people showed up, and it ended up being one of the most fun parties I've ever been to.

Light Seeker

Postby Congadelica » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:19 am

Hey Lightseeker .
looks like my kind of party bro . great pics

marco
Congadelica

Postby umannyt » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:41 am

Light Seeker,

Very nice pictures! The high level of fun is clearly evident!

I couldn't help but notice the Mario's latest rim design on your Islas. Very nice, too! I wish I also have them on mine. Someday, perhaps.

Best,
umannyt

Postby windhorse » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:06 pm

Awesome! Looks like you guys have a great Rumba scene! Kudos to Johnny and yourself for creating the energy and drive to get more into the ensemble! Beautiful new drums!! Keep up the good work!
Dave
windhorse

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:59 am

Greeting light seeker you guys are no doubt having a ball, pictures dont lie I only wish I could have been there. Those Islas look "WICKEDLY SICK" :twisted: . I noticed that very creative way of holding the Cata, with a keyboard stand and some cloths, I love it, by the way, is that one of BNB Cata's? :D
KING CONGA

Postby Light Seeker » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Thanks for all comments. I'm definitely having a lot of fun with the Islas.

King Conga - no, the cata belongs to the UF school of music. I'm not certain who made it.
Light Seeker

Postby Light Seeker » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:34 pm

My band has posted our entire upcoming album to our myspace page. I would really like it if you folks would listen to one song in particular, "Yambu Despedida" and tell me what you think. Keeping in mind that we are young, and relatively inexperienced, especially when it comes to rumba (so basically I'm asking you not to be too harshly critical). On this song, I'm playing quinto and singing the backup vocals.
So please, check it out, it's the last song on our profile: www.myspace.com/umojaorchestra
Light Seeker

Postby CongaTick » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Light Seeker.

Yambu Despedida is superb. I am not an expert, and perhaps I don't have a trained, critical ear however, the music took me immediately back to my youth in Puerto Rico in the late 40's and early 50's (Yeah, I know. Old as dirt). Umoja is certainly a "gift" and you have every right to be proud of your part in it. Excellent!! And thank you.
CongaTick

Postby windhorse » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:10 pm

Here's what I wrote in your comments on Myspace:

I love it! You've got all the necessary ingredients for a following of dancers and music admirers. The vocals are really well done! You've produced a nice mix of the traditional Afro-Cuban nasal sound with the "prettier" Western sound. Overall a nice blend of styles and I hear in the music how much you guys like each other. That's important!
windhorse

Postby Light Seeker » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:19 pm

Thanks a lot, you two! For the levels each of us in the band are at in terms of experience and practice, I'm very proud of what we have made together. Thanks for the compliments.
Light Seeker

Postby Light Seeker » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:04 pm

Two vids from a recent performance of Fundamento Rumbero, the University of Florida ensemble, on 10/23.

Here is a Tonada Trinitaria, a nearly-extinct form of music from the city of Trinidad de Cuba (this could perhaps be the first ever performance of a Tonada Trinitaria in the U.S., haha): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9vh-52bTg

And here's a yambu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8hEMstPQqs

Johnny Frias is the director/lead singer.
Light Seeker

Return to *** PHOTOS/VIDEO CLIPS OF YOUR GIGS/JAMS ***