JOHNNY CONGA videos & photos

One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Forum rules
One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Lets keep it positive.

Re: JOHNNY CONGA videos & photos

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:09 pm

Good stuff JC, thank you. I do not care what anybody says, them tumbaos you played with Gloria Gaynor back in the day are as good as any other tumbaos.
RitmoBoricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:02 pm

Here is part 3 of 4 parts... you can really hear me on this mix as well... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjD5WWW86hA
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBdU31KIus part 2 ...anyone here know how i can download these vids to a dvd on my PC?..Tks..JC
JohnnyConga

Postby Psyammy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Hi everyone i have been here for a long time but never posted befor.
Johnny, this might be what your looking for

http://www.top5soft.com/tutorial/downlo ... o-dvd.html

hope that helps

Psyammy
Psyammy

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:13 am

THANKS BROTHER!...I was able to download a free program called "FREECORDER".COM and now I can download any video from youtube and download it to a DVD on my PC...Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!....JC
JohnnyConga

Postby CongaTick » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:14 pm

Also, the one I have

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/

which gives you a lot more than just downloading video from the internet. Also FREE.
CongaTick

Postby mrhands » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:16 pm

Respect Johnny Conga, Respect!

I have a question... I saw an interview with Luis Conte on youtube and he talks about avoiding any traditional afro-cuban, cuban rhythm's when he's not playing those styles...What's your take on this? I noticed that you actually do play some traditional rhythms in the disco rnb stuff. I'm asking because I play ina funk/rnb band and a tumbao is always a safe bet. Most of the rhythms I play for the band are based off of it. However, I have been using your youtube vids to add variations.. Do you agree with Conte? I personally think that if it sounds good, I'll use whatever rhythm.
mrhands

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:37 pm

I don't agree with Luis Conte.. I use what ever may work in an arrangement ..If i can work a traditional pattern into a modern musical situation why not?..Now i dont play 'straight" tumbao in any of this disco music.. they are mainly R&B patterns(though i did throw in some afro cuban rhythm here and there but briefly)...so basically what im saying is experiment with different patterns and see which ones work ...if u need any patterns that you dont know how to play( or dont know about,) let me know....my thing with playing mainstream music is if you don;t know what to do "follow the bass line figure" and play along with it...and that will give u an idea of a pattern to play...it works for me and always have...the congas are an 'extension' of the bass line figure in Latin music and other styles...so listen to what the bass player is doing and play around it, with it, and through it.....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:57 pm

Here is a gig I did last Sunday here in Seattle. This band gets together one Sunday a month to play . I wasn't too familiar with the tune but u can chek it out. I do some trades with Gary on drumset...Johnny Conga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zuc5qOEBCg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:33 pm

Here is a video of a recording session I did with the Miho/Diego Duo here in Seattle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKD1D1tHFo
JohnnyConga

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:36 am

JohnnyConga wrote:Here is a video of a recording session I did with the Miho/Diego Duo here in Seattle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKD1D1tHFo

Johnny thanks for sharing. That was awesome.
KING CONGA

Postby CongaTick » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:35 pm

Outstanding!
CongaTick

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:31 am

Rare photo of Sabu Martinez ....
SABU MARTINEZ.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby jorge » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:11 am

mrhands wrote:Respect Johnny Conga, Respect!

I have a question... I saw an interview with Luis Conte on youtube and he talks about avoiding any traditional afro-cuban, cuban rhythm's when he's not playing those styles...What's your take on this? I noticed that you actually do play some traditional rhythms in the disco rnb stuff. I'm asking because I play ina funk/rnb band and a tumbao is always a safe bet. Most of the rhythms I play for the band are based off of it. However, I have been using your youtube vids to add variations.. Do you agree with Conte? I personally think that if it sounds good, I'll use whatever rhythm.

Maybe this belongs in another thread, I don't want to hijack JCs video thread, but responding to this post, I think Luis Conte was talking about specific religious rhythms played to particular orichas, and Abakua rhythms that have particular meanings. I do agree with him on this. You rarely if ever hear religious drummers who are also top drummers in popular Cuban or Latin music play the real rhythms unmodified in popular songs or jazz. Rhythms from rumba, all the time, modifications of chachalokpafun, ñongo and other bata, guiro or bembe patterns, yes, little pieces of bonko parts yes, but not straight unmodified religious rhythms. I think this is done to show respect for the religions. Pedrito Martinez, Irakere, the late Pancho Quinto and others have used a lot of their deep knowledge of religious music in popular music, but it is always modified. JC, I don't think I am disagreeing with you, we hear pieces of Afrocuban parts in lots of salsa, R&B, jazz and other popular music, I am really talking about playing complete, authentic religious rhythms in popular songs. Right now I actually can't think of even one example of an unmodified religious rhythm in a popular song, can anyone think of one?

I agree with playing along with the bass part, although locking in with the kick and snare is important also, so as not to clash. This takes a drummer with some knowledge of AfroCuban rhythms to leave some space and not do fill ins at every opportunity.
jorge

Postby mrhands » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:46 pm

He wasn't talking about religious rhythms specifically. He was talking about cuban rhythms in a pop setting. He said he doesn't play cuban rhythms unless he's playing cuban music. I hope that clears things up.
mrhands

PreviousNext

Return to *** PHOTOS/VIDEO CLIPS OF YOUR GIGS/JAMS ***