jam/learning session groove patada, please comment

One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Forum rules
One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Lets keep it positive.

jam/learning session groove patada, please comment

Postby Alan1984 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:47 pm

Hi there,

As I am new to this forum first of all a short introduction:
I'm Alan from holland and since about 2 years I have been focussed upon afro cuban rhythms, with a special focus on the conga's. Together with other musicians that are learning I formed a band called "groove patada". In this we all try to explore the rhythms and different interpretations, while also trying to synergize forces to prevent for becoming too isolated on your own instrument.

You can see a short introduction of our band practice here; there are indeed flaws in it, as we all are very much learning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzetVt7UzEs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5ZDL1yjhtY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4XXxzic44Q

I'm eager to hear some of your comments! Thanks.

Alan
Alan1984

Re: jam/learning session groove patada, please comment

Postby windhorse » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:34 am

I think you guys sound pretty good, especially for only 2 years!
The guiro is the only thing I thought needed some real work,, but hey, nobodies perfect,, especially in only 2 years!
Which one are you?
windhorse

Postby Alan1984 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:59 am

hey, thanks a lot for the compliment!

actually, we are only working on this for about 1 year, starting from scratch: learning tumbao, cascara, montuno etc.
Nonetheless, my brother (the piano guy) and me (the conga player) have been into other styles of music for a longer time as hobby.

Switching to afro cuban has actually been one of the best decicions of my life, it has become the greatest passion
However, it seems the longer I concentrate on conga playing, the more I realize how much there can be learned in regards to my own modest position.
I doubt if I ever would reach a position in which I will be truly satisfied...

At the moment I regularly follow lessons from a local teacher, which is the timbalero of one of the greatest Dutch latin jazz bands.
Next to this I just opened an account on congamasterclass.com, which is very much recomendable I think.

I do very much agree with you on the guira player. Will work on that.

Thanks again!
Alan1984

Postby debbie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:55 am

well done!!!
debbie

Postby windhorse » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Alan1984 wrote: I just opened an account on congamasterclass.com, which is very much recomendable I think.

I didn't notice this the first time I read your response.. Yes, the practice, the technique, the depth and breadth of the rhythms is amazing considering that you get it from a movie rather than in person. If you go through these and add them to your rhythm vocabulary, you can't help but get better!
Kudos!
windhorse

Return to *** PHOTOS/VIDEO CLIPS OF YOUR GIGS/JAMS ***