KING CONGA Videos & Photos

One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Forum rules
One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Lets keep it positive.

KING CONGA Videos & Photos

Postby KING CONGA » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:51 pm

During my recent trip to Arizona I had the pleasure of meeting Onile, Tony. One of the nicest guys you could meet, he received me and my cousin with open arms, even cooked a wonderful Puerto Rican dish, "pernil" and "arroz con gandules", Chacho!!! pero que platillo :P he said "It's pretty much traditional in our cultures that when folks bless us with their company, that we provide food and drink" say no more hermano you wont get any argument from me :lol: . As I walked into his house the first thing that caught my eye was his set of portable pearls on that awesome custom made stand, I could not help but to be in awe as I laid my eyes on the rest of his arsenal :shock: , all in the living room, Matt's, Islas, LP Patatos and 1 JCR/Mat, all of those wonderful tambores, each one just begging to be played. Once he said "go ahead Tocalos", it was open game, I took some long strides to the Matt's. sat on the throne and just felt them, the first live set of Matt's I've ever seen, or touched, wow, pero que tambor!!.
After chatting a good while, drums drums and more drums, he went into his room closet and pulled out one out of the three "FATS", man what a beautiful drum.
After the drool and the awe's he played on the Islas for me, pero chico!!!!!, man can that guy play, he really knows his stuff. He is also a teacher of the drum, man If I lived in AZ I would be taking lessons from him all the time. I could literally feel his love/passion for the drum and the Afro Cuban Culture. Man I was just soaking it in as best as I could. Another thing that greatly impressed me about Tony was when he said "the best challenge that we can accept in this life is to pass the torch (knowledge, skill set)", this to me spoke volumes about his heart, character and interest in teaching others.
You might be wondering why that Patato is upside down, that's the quinto, Tony told me that that conga had fallen one too many times, notice the small bottom, and he did not want it happening again.
Tony, once again, y con todo corazon hermano, gracias por todo, the videos, the manteca de corojo, but especialmente tu hospitalidad. Bendiciones.
Juan
Attachments
juicy congas.jpg
Me at AZ2.jpg
Me at AZ.jpg
Last edited by KING CONGA on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
KING CONGA

Re: KING CONGA Videos & Photos

Postby onile » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:34 pm

Alafia Abure King Conga!
Espero que todo este bien contigo y la familia!

Wow! That was a very nice write up of our visit together, Thank You!
It was actually my pleasure to have you and Sergio over. I'm glad you enjoyed the food and, obviously the drums. I had a blast myself, jammin' and sitting down talking with both of you guys. Please say "hi" to your primo for me whenever you get a chance, and don't be a stranger yourself mi amigo Juan!

I am really diggin' the jazz CD you gave me, some great tunes on it. Whenever you're in town again, give me a holler and we'll get together again for a jam.

I hope that you and your family have a very blessed and joyous holiday!

La bendicion!

Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby congamyk » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:54 am

A GREAT conga Christmas!
Great post, enjoyed reading it.
Brother Onile is a tremendous asset to this website.

I haven't seen a Fat Congas® brand in awhile.
congamyk

Postby debbie » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:58 pm

Brother Onile is a tremendous asset to this website.

i totally agree, he's always been incredibly helpful whenever i had any questions/queries! a very nice set of pics, glad you all made such a good connection.
debbie

Postby windhorse » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:15 pm

Inspirational!! Thanks for that post!
windhorse

Postby Congadelica » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:41 pm

I love snipetts like this , Thanks for sharing your meet with Onile . and wow what a collection .
I notice you have a Isla Poplar tumba the lighter coloured one , Im guessing this is for Guiro ?

M
Congadelica

Postby onile » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:14 pm

Alafia Abure Congadelica!
I hope that you are having a wonderful holiday season in your corner of the world!

As for the lighter tumbadora sitting next to my Islas, well that is the JCR that wasn't completed by Cali, so it was sent to Matthew to finish, and was I glad he did. In fact, I have the other two JCRs with Matthew at this moment to have them matched up to this one.

Many blessings Abure!

Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby GuruPimpi » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:41 am

King Konga - waw, very nice post, you are a lucky man! Nice to get across this kind of post after a long time here and see how the good vibes between congafreaks are still around! ;)

Onile you are great! After sending you a PM I found this thread...
If I'm in Arizona or you in Slovenija - we meet! ;)

Take care and Groove On!

PimpS
GuruPimpi

Postby KING CONGA » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:55 pm

This is a link to a video of an event for which I put together a Latin Jazz group to perform.
It was a two hour set, truly the most fun I have ever had playing.
The whole experience was awesome, from finding the musicians to the rehearsals, arranging the group, man I’m still on cloud 9 :mrgreen:
I needed an extra percussionist and so 3 weeks ago I started to teach my friend Ed to play the Guiro and different cow bell patterns, he did exceptionally well for his first time.

Sorry for the quality of the video but it's the only one that I have come across so far.
Please tell me what you think.
Cheers
K.C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ7E8tUe2xU
KING CONGA

Postby KidCuba » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:39 am

Sounds like you had a great time, sorry I couldn't make it out. Been busy with work and the family. Congrats on a successful gig!
Triple Pulse Conga Practice- http://www.larumbero.com
KidCuba

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:23 pm

Here is another link from our Sep 21st event showing a partial video of our Latin Jazz Ensamble playing Watusi Boogaloo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJPd7So ... ata_player
KING CONGA

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:30 pm

My new Babies. Sound Great!!! After comparing the Originals to the Patatos I found that the Patatos are lighter and do in fact have a louder projection , they are also a little more comfortable to me for sit down playing being that I am 6'2" tall.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
KING CONGA

Return to *** PHOTOS/VIDEO CLIPS OF YOUR GIGS/JAMS ***