Aretha Franklin gig

One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Forum rules
One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Lets keep it positive.

Aretha Franklin gig

Postby yeeman » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5q2gLc3_N0

This is a clip of a gig I did with Aretha Franklin on Oct. 30, 2009 at Madison Square Garden in NYC. She was part of the 25th Anniversary Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Concert
that took place on Oct. 29 & 30. Highlights from the 2 nites is on HBO this month. You'll probably just hear the congas on the short drum/percussion break.
Annie Lennox,from England, is the guest singer with her here. Lenny Kravitz sang w/Aretha also, but it wasn't aired.
yeeman

Re: Aretha Franklin gig

Postby umannyt » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:35 am

yeeman,

I just watched the video! Way cool!!!

I'm mainly a pop percussionist myself, a big fan of Aretha Franklin and, to a lesser extent, of Annie Lennox (luv her provocative t-shirt). "Chain, Chain, Chain" is one of Aretha's songs that my dance band covers.

I tried catching your fundamental conga pattern(s)/rudiment(s). You seem to do a variation of the galloping (caballo?) pattern on the high drum combined with a hit on the low drum on the 1st beat of every 4/4 bar. Am I right?

All the best,
umannyt

Postby yeeman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:24 am

...hmmmm...I actually don't recall what I played!!! Thanx for the keen eye & ear anyway !!! Hopefully, when the DVD set comes out, there will be more footage of the other songs she did. I think we played 6 tunes...HBO only aired 3 of them. Aretha only got a total of 11 mins. out of the 4 hr. program...everyone else seem to get at least 20 mins. or more. Lot of great bands & rock stars. I only stayed & checked out Jeff Beck a little. Hope you can catch the HBO special. I'm more into the commercial aspect of hand drums & percussion. Working on an instructional DVD right now. Keep in touch...good to hear a response....thanx.
Last edited by yeeman on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeeman

Postby pavloconga » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:13 pm

Congratulations... Nice work and what an awesome gig to play!
Definitely one to remember and great that you have video of it.
Pavlo
pavloconga

Return to *** PHOTOS/VIDEO CLIPS OF YOUR GIGS/JAMS ***