Some Gig and Set Up Pics...

One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Forum rules
One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Lets keep it positive.

Some Gig and Set Up Pics...

Postby Bourge17 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:23 am

Thought I'd go ahead and post a few pics of past gigs.

I play with a few groups and we have a few gigs coming up so more to follow. And in those, I'll hopefully display my new congas which I should receive on February 19.
Attachments
CajonKit.jpg
Cajon Kit/Congas/Percussion - This is my new set up for The Couzan Band. This is a party band that does Rock-n-Roll and New Orleans Funk covers.
IMG_0025.JPG
Couzan Band - Carolton Station, NOLA
halloween 2007-5.JPG
Halloween 2007 - A House Party - Lots of fun.
IMG_0007.JPG
Lucy's Retired Surfer's Bar and Restaurant, NOLA - Habitual Line Steppers. Congas and Cajon - cant go wrong with those.
Bourge with Mia Borders (3).jpg
Mia Borders - House of Blues, NOLA - Parish Room - Fundraiser. I'm in the back - I swear...
Bourge with Mia Borders (3).jpg (26.75 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
Bourge17

Re: Some Gig and Set Up Pics...

Postby KING CONGA » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:39 am

Bourgue17 it looks as though you and the guys are having a swell time. Where are these pictures from? Is that a German Cajon on the first picture?
KING CONGA

Postby Bourge17 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:07 pm

Definitely having fun.

These pictures were all in the New Orleans, LA area where these bands are based.

As for the cajon's, they are German. The big box is a Schlagwerk Bass Cajon and the other is a Roland Peil Signature Cajinto. I also sit on a Schalloch Burl Wood Cajon. I started using this (with congas) as a quiet kit for our acoustic gigs but one of my bands liked it enough that they asked I use it with the full set up. Some songs I play only congas, others, I compliment the drummer with the cajon kit, and on others, I play both while using lots of small percussion. It’s a lot of fun but this arrangement requires that I use a lot of microphones.

As for the Cajons -

The Roland Peil Signature Cajinto is great as a standalone, place between your legs, Cajon. However, I am still searching for the right sticks to use when utilizing it as a snare drum. So far, Flix Sticks have worked the best. It may have been a better idea to buy a mini snare drum.

The Bass Cajon is nice but I got the Schlagwerk 2inOne Bass Cajon which has more spirals than the Booster Box. Thus, dialing back the rattle/sizzle of the snare is difficult. I placed some painters tape over the snares to help that out. I bought this one with the bass plate to use as a bass drum but also so I could play it on its own. However, I find that other snare Cajons (not bass Cajons) sound better. Sometimes I prefer playing my Schalloch Burl Wood Cajon over the Bass Cajon even though that was my first Cajon and was much, much cheaper.

All in all, it serves its purpose as an alternative/quiet drum set. The drums are quality and have held up. However, if I had it to do again, I may have gone a different route simply because this set up was expensive.

In other news, my new congas have been delayed until February 22, 2010. (Sigh...) Hopefully no more delays.
Bourge17

Postby Bourge17 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:17 am

I have to make an addendum to my previous Schlagwerk 2inOne Bass Cajon assessment. I played on it a bit more recently and with a bit more painters tape over the snares I found the right sound I've been looking for. Also, with such a large drum, it really makes a difference where you hit that thing. Anyway, now, plenty of snare effect with a good and deep bass. Definately my go-to Cajon. Great sound.
Bourge17

Return to *** PHOTOS/VIDEO CLIPS OF YOUR GIGS/JAMS ***