Ritmo y Ron 10/10/10

One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Forum rules
One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Lets keep it positive.

Ritmo y Ron 10/10/10

Postby Garvin » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:10 pm

Here's a quick excerpt from a promo video I'm putting together for a little group which I call "Ritmo y Ron"

When completed, we'll have some Afro-Haitian, Ghanain, Bata, and Rumba material to show. In the meantime, here's a clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9KIebmB ... r_embedded
Garvin

Re: Ritmo y Ron 10/10/10

Postby MedinaNYC » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:09 am

Nice job! Those are Sol's? They look sweet! Look forward to seeing the complete recording.
MedinaNYC

Postby Garvin » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:21 am

Yeah, between everyone in that group we have 3 sets of 5 Skin on Skins, 1 set of 5 Sol's, and a handful of Valjes and Gon Bops. It's crazy... None of them are mine though.

Here's another clip of the rumba the night before...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08n66E9vshU
Garvin

Postby MedinaNYC » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:02 am

I dig it. I also like the introduction. very creative. that quinto really can sing. that's some collection of tumbadoras! 5 sets of s.o.s? wow.
MedinaNYC

Postby Garvin » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:37 pm

Here's the full version... From Haiti, we played dance conga, and dejuba, from Ghana, kpanlogo, awo-awo, & bedwe. On bata I think there was Latopa, Yongo, Elegua, Shango and cha-cha. I chopped some of that out though because of youtubes 15 minute limit. Then a comparsa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hyzZ5CGh2c
Garvin

Postby Garvin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:21 am

Maybe a pointless post, but I know that those of us with kids in this forum love to see our little guys/girls sitting with, playing and generally embracing and sharing our passion for drums.

In this case, my three year old was asking me "Papa, can you teach me drums?" --- Absolutely son... I love my boys. The little one is gonna be a monster!
Garvin

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:08 pm

I do not think is a pointless post. Is very good thing to see you guys doing your thing with the drums on video.
Also a thing of beauty to see your children on the drums. That's a sure way to keep the flame going for future
generations. Keep drumming.
RitmoBoricua

Postby KING CONGA » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:08 pm

That SOS sounds awesome. Youre tearing it up on that Rumba Garvin. Yor children are beautiful, you are a blessed man. Continue to raise them in the ways of the drum.
Can you tell me a little more about that Quinto, is is the typical size? when was it made?
KING CONGA

Postby Garvin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:13 pm

Thanks guys... Both of these boys are gonna get piano lessons as soon as they can sit still for more than 45 seconds at a time, but they will both be shredding drummers as well. :)

As far as the quinto goes, it is awesome, but I'm not the guy playing it. That is Matt. He lives for rumba. He has 5 skin on skins in cherry. That one is his quinto (not requinto). It was made about 4 years ago I think, and I love that drum. I've had a lot of up close time with those drums. I have noticed a little bit of separation on the staves in one spot on that drum, but it still sounds incredible. The skin is very thick.
Garvin

Postby Garvin » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:24 pm

MOZAM - SAMBA:

In an effort to keep all the clip I post consolidated, I'm just adding to this thread. Here is a recent rhythm we recorded which combines a couple of mozambique parts along with samba (on the low drums)... The audio was recorded with an AKG C1000S, the video on a camcorder. To hear the mid/low end, turn it up or use headphones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6of2SqdnXA
Garvin

Return to *** PHOTOS/VIDEO CLIPS OF YOUR GIGS/JAMS ***