mix up mule,cow ,fiberskyn,Nuskyn

One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Forum rules
One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Lets keep it positive.

mix up mule,cow ,fiberskyn,Nuskyn

Postby salzfaas » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:10 pm

Here is some music have made ,which uses all the qualities of thje various skins.I like the fake skins for their harmonic notes,The mule for it's depth of tonal variation and the cow for warmth.the piece of music is an inspiration from Tabla Wolof played by the Suffi's.I have tried to use the congas in melodic sequences.They were recorded with 2 AKG 414's an sm57 on the mule and a D1112 at the bottom for extra base. There are no edits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNldxxM29wM
salzfaas

Re: mix up mule,cow ,fiberskyn,Nuskyn

Postby Mike » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:56 pm

salzfaas wrote:I like the fake skins for their harmonic notes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNldxxM29wM

"Fake skin" - I like that one :lol:
I guess you mean the overtones, but I cannot hear many of them in your recording
- which is pretty decent!
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Dicemanb » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Nice one Vincent.
The tonal difference between the larger two drums and the others is pretty marked, and getting a bit Nurdy, did I notice an open tone on the quinto which was off to the side and had the thumb in the middle to give a harmonic??
Dice
Dicemanb

Postby salzfaas » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:43 am

mike wrote"I guess you mean the overtones, but I cannot hear many of them in your recording
- which is pretty decent!"Peace & drum
Mike

what I think you are saying is that the harmonic notes are in sympathy with the open notes.The overtones which sometimes in this forum people are trying to get rid of, I actualy really like as long as the drum is tuned very evenly and if playing lots of congas, sypatheticaly tuned to the other notes.when I tune, I try to make sure the harmonic (overtone) note is good first before checking the fundamental or open note.If the skin is unevenly tuned all around, the harmonic note seems to stick out real nasty and you wouldn't want to actively draw attention to it.
Thanks for your comments always welcome
Vincent
salzfaas

Postby salzfaas » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:54 am

Hi dicemanb
not Nurdy at all just good attention to detail.my notes on the tips of my fingers on the edge are playing the harmonic,(bougarabou style) one can touch the centre to find anothe note, but not in this case The middle drum which you refered to as the quinto I tuned to C so the edge sound is A an octave up.In panlogo drumming in Ghana The thumb pressed in the middle is used quite a lot.Way back when I was learning that kind of drumming a Ghanaian showed me all the possible notes ,with their names ,to demonstrate to me that drums really can talk(African languages being tonal in nature)
Thank you
Vincent
salzfaas

Return to *** PHOTOS/VIDEO CLIPS OF YOUR GIGS/JAMS ***