various gigs

One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Forum rules
One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Lets keep it positive.

various gigs

Postby andreas » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:54 am

andreas

Re: various gigs

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:45 am

In other words andreas "La Timba Esta Brava Especialmente En Puerto Rico,
Echa' Caldo Que Los Garbanzos Estan Duros, Sacude". Love the videos, thanks
for sharing.
RitmoBoricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:51 pm

man some of these conga players today just 'beat the shit' of their drums....they wont last on the drum playing like that..even when i was in my 20'30's i never raised my hands above my shoulders and never "pushed" into my drums.....it hurts to watch!...
JohnnyConga

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:44 am

JohnnyConga wrote:man some of these conga players today just 'beat the shit' of their drums....they wont last on the drum playing like that..even when i was in my 20'30's i never raised my hands above my shoulders and never "pushed" into my drums.....it hurts to watch!...

JC, let's go down there, lay down the law and get these young whipper snappers drum hackers online with the program. :lol:
That's why we need more teachers like you around but unfortunately we don't, to point out what we are doing wrong and more
importantly how to do it right. They are young they can play hard all day all night and come back and do it again, that's what
youth is all about. Years down the road they will slow-down and be more matured. Either you change with time or time will
change you.
RitmoBoricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:25 pm

You right about that!....we don't have enough 'dedicated' teachers..I also find that the youth of today have an attitude about learning properly..they just want to do it 'their way"....versus traditional and foundational skills etc...and i don't really get this "i want to play as fast as I can routine?..it's cool but there's more to playing than 64th buzz note rolls etc....LEARN THE FORM OF THE MUSIC!...LEARN TO PLAY TIME!!...LEARN RHYTHMS? HOW LONG CAN YOU PLAY A SIMPLE TUMBAO FOR????...I challenge anyone here to try and play all the way thru the tune(no stopping) "DIRTY WILLIE" by Mongo Santamaria...it will go into a 6/8 section(which you should also cop), but Mongo's tumbao is up there in tempo...and it's just Tumbao...one of the hardest patterns to play,properly, and consistently for any length of time....plain and simple ...but 'simplicity is key'...find your own identity on the drum...there is only ONE GIOVANNI..everyone after him is second...so if your thinking of taking his chair, good luck..it will take u the rest of your life to get to his 'gifted' level...just my 3 congas....and 48 years on the drum...

To hear DIRTY WILLIE go to SPOTIFY and type in search Dirty Willie Mongo Santamaria .it's there..as well as 90 hours of Mongos music...so that is my challenge today....I'd also like to hear from those that try to keep up with Mongo and how they found playing along with the tune was...
JohnnyConga

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Too much speed and drum rudiments been thrown out-there if you ask me.
They want to play all out all the time with nothing held back. Once again
that's why in some disciplines like sports you have a coach to correct and
guide the young talent in particular. The Gios and Angas are freaks of nature
but they also had the good fortune of having teachers/mentors along the way.
RitmoBoricua

Return to *** PHOTOS/VIDEO CLIPS OF YOUR GIGS/JAMS ***