Drum Head Conditioner and Hand moisturizer with Arnica

Sell your intruments here, or post up any bargains you come across for sale.
Forum rules
Sell your own gear here, or post up any links to sales of percussion instruments.
KEEP IT POSITIVE PLEASE, SAVE ANY NEGATIVITY TO PRIVATE MESSAGE.

Drum Head Conditioner and Hand moisturizer with Arnica

Postby Manito » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Hey group, I just wanted to take a second to let you know that I've got a few
more conga related accessories out there. One is a conditioner for natural hide
drum heads and the other is a soreness relieving and moisturizing balm for
drummer's hands before and after playing hand drums of any sort.

#1 Ardub Drum Rub:
Many people have opinions and ideas for how to best care for natural hide drum
heads, and Ardub Drum Rub is my own time tested formula that I've been using for
years on my skins. It nourishes the hide with all natural high viscosity, high
antioxidant tree nut oils and seals and protects the head with natural beeswax
at the same time. This drastically slows the uptake of humidity into the
drumhead. Humidity is the main cause for premature stretching in natural hide
drumheads. The microscopically thin layer of beeswax that's left also leaves
the playing surface just slightly tacky, making slaps and tones crisper,
cleaner, and brighter.

#2 Ardub Drummer's Hand Rub:
Ardub Drummer's Hand Rub with Arnica was created to soothe and promote fast
healing of sore hands due to hand drumming. As a professional percussionist for
over 17 years, I understand the tough demands that must be met by drummers'
hands. I created Ardub for myself several years ago after learning of the
strong anti-inflammatory properties of Arnica Montana, a naturalized flower
found nearby in the Appalachian Mountains.

After a hot Salsa gig, my hands would be left dried out, swollen and aching. I
realized I needed to do something to counteract the effects of 2 or 3 hours of
non-stop drumming. Ardub combines the anti-inflammatory effects of Arnica with
the soothing and moisturizing effects of several tree nut oils high in
antioxidants. I blend Shea Butter with Cocoa and Mango Butters, as well as Red
Palm Oil (Manteca de Corojo) and Olive Oil, Natural Vitamin E and Beeswax to
create a smooth formula for use before and after drumming.

I've got them both on Ebay and as a combo here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=STRK:\
MESELX:IT

Many Thanks!
-Manito
Manito

Re: Drum Head Conditioner and Hand moisturizer with Arnica

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:19 pm

Looks like a great product ! I cant wait to try it :)
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Sun May 29, 2011 9:56 pm

Personally I would never put "wax" or "Arnica" on tumbadora or bongo skin/s.

Arnica is commonly used for external "sprains", "strains" and bruised skin... as on human living skin.
It works very well, I have used it with results in 24 hrs, but it need to be 99% pure Arnica gel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnica

What's been used for the last 60 years (yes, since the 1940's) by drummers in Cuba and in the U.S. is Manteca de Corojo,
easily found in most botanicas in small bottles for a few dollars. Can also be found in small food markets where Africans or Caribeno's like to shop.
Use sparingly, a little bit goes a long way, about the size of a quarter.
If allowed to get warm, or stored anywhere the temperature is hot... the Manteca de Corojo will become liquid.

If you have a serious problem with dry/cracked/hands/palms/fingers... you can try "Bag Balm" which has been in existence since 1899.
Bag balm can be easily found in most major drug store chains (Rite Aid, CVS etc.).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bag_balm

The concept of "selecting" a skin (or skins) "sight unseen" on the internet (Ebay or from music/instrumet supply web sites etc.) is not in my reality.
Unfortunately, novice and younger players do not know what it is to "select" skin/s, untucked or pre-tucked... hold a skin, look for undesired flaws, hold it up to the light, look for even thickness/thinness, see if the skin still has it's natural oils, or is still supple as opposed to being chemically over processed (as the majority now are) or has been stored somewhere for so long that it's very dry.
Unfortunately for some people, they may live in a town or city where they are not able to hold a skin and inspect it themselves, or even know what to look for, so someone
on Ebay or an online music site does the choosing which often are skin/s they want to get rid off.
I have been picking my own skins since I was 15 years old, taught what to look for by my dad, a drum maker.
http://fidelseyeglasses.blogspot.com/2008/09/photos-my-dad-carving-drums-70s.html

I use nothing on my drum skins after I mount them, as I pick skins that are not dry and have not been mass produced and chemically over treated.
Occasionally, on my Changüi bongoes I will put a small bit of violin bow or bass bow rosin (obtained from pines and some other plants, mostly conifers, not "wax")
which allows for the 'bramido' to be done easily.

http://www.mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4916

M.
Attachments
Manteca de Corojo.jpg
Bag Balm1.jpg
Bag Balm2.jpg
Last edited by FidelsEyeglasses on Sun May 29, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby ABAKUA » Sun May 29, 2011 11:04 pm

After a hot Salsa gig, my hands would be left dried out, swollen and aching

It would be fair to say you need work on your technique then. :wink:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Marcus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:30 pm

Hey guys,

Interesting discussion on conga head conditioners. I have used natural shea butter, the yellow kind, from Drumskulls. I have also tried coconut oil yet for some reason it just did not feel right. The shea butter really brings out the tonal quality of my head. Playing bugarabus with guinea cow.

In the winter months with a very dry house I seem to need to apply the shea butter a bit more as the drying from the inside shell side is apparent. Also when I humidify the house and the drums sound wonderful as the humidy is absorbed via the inside shell side of the head. I seem to apply the shea butter regularily as the oil must evaporate between applications.

I would imagine that the humidity in Cuba would lead to head stretching if a conditioner or moisture barrier is not used.

Live in Seattle so winter months in the house are dry until the weather warms up. Anyone using shea butter or any comments upon its use?

thx, Mark
Marcus

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:01 pm

Marcus wrote:Hey guys,

Interesting discussion on conga head conditioners. I have used natural shea butter, the yellow kind, from Drumskulls. I have also tried coconut oil yet for some reason it just did not feel right. The shea butter really brings out the tonal quality of my head. Playing bugarabus with guinea cow.

In the winter months with a very dry house I seem to need to apply the shea butter a bit more as the drying from the inside shell side is apparent. Also when I humidify the house and the drums sound wonderful as the humidy is absorbed via the inside shell side of the head. I seem to apply the shea butter regularily as the oil must evaporate between applications.

I would imagine that the humidity in Cuba would lead to head stretching if a conditioner or moisture barrier is not used.

Live in Seattle so winter months in the house are dry until the weather warms up. Anyone using shea butter or any comments upon its use?

thx, Mark

Marcus, I know what it is to deal with skin/s in a "humid" climate as I lived in New Orleans for 14 years.
Re: Shea butter... several months ago I bought a pair of Cuban maracas on Ebay, the skin was visually very dry from the "chemical processing" used on the skin .
I bought a small tub of shea butter, lightly massaged it into each maraca, wiped of any excess and it took away the dry appearance, it gave the skin a nice rich amber color.
But I wouldn't use it on a drum skin/head, as it leaves a slightly tacky feeling on the surface.

M.
Attachments
maraca.JPG
shea.JPG
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby pcastag » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:27 pm

I thought we were not supposed to make ay dispariging comments about items being sold here. I still find it amazing how the forum rules are appllied selevtively . C'mon folks, fair is fair, if other people are geting deleted for making comments that are outside of the "rules", then we should all try to follow them. Or get rid of them.
PC

PC
PC
pcastag

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:16 pm

pcastag wrote:I thought we were not supposed to make ay dispariging comments about items being sold here. I still find it amazing how the forum rules are appllied selevtively . C'mon folks, fair is fair, if other people are geting deleted for making comments that are outside of the "rules", then we should all try to follow them. Or get rid of them.
PC

PC

Not sure what post you are referring to, if it was mine, I said personally "I would never put "wax" or "Arnica" on tumbadora or bongo skin/s."
Nothing said as in you shouldn't buy it or don't buy it.

M.
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby pcastag » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:57 pm

That's like me saying below an add for Pearl Congas, " I would never play pearl congas, the best are....... instead of buying this stuff you can buy.......... Just saying, the forum rules state keep it positive, no negativity, if I'm selling a product and somebody comments below that they would never use it and the stuff to use is XXXX brand it seems like a violation of the spirit of the no negative posts, if not the letter of it. Then the admin comes on and says, yeah , manteca de corojo is the shissle, again, reinforcing that the porduct the dude is trying to sell really is not necessary. I mean hey, if the rule is stated I'm just saying we should all follow it. For sale is for sale, otherwise we could all sit here and comment to death about prices too high, those sound like s..., these are actualy better sounding.
PS i think the arnica was only in the hand product.
PC
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:48 am

PC is correct, sorry if my post came across that way. Have deleted the comment regarding the drums skin product.
My apologies.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Marcus » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:50 pm

Fidel (eyeglasses)

You are correct the shea butter does leave a bit of tack if left on the head. I usually apply a coat and then the next day wipe off the excess and buff slightly. After that there is no tack feel at all just a nice round vibration and good hand feel.

I will be purchasing congas in the next few months with "latin cow" heads, but right now it is the bubaragu with guinea cow and the shell is just okay not the best wood or highest quality--however with the shea butter and the right mix of humidity and the tuning to the sweet spot it is a great light weight drum.

A friend has some LP with original heads. Been about 8 years and just last week he applied a shea butter mix (something labeled as organic) and the skins came alive. I think if you are in an enviroment such as the south or even the bay area where relatively humidity is abundant the heads are good to go. Humidity does affect the vibration of the head and a dry head will not resonate as well.

Still I would hope that others in dryer climates would weigh in on this discussion. Not sure what to do with the heads on my future congas. Certainly will just leave them be for a long time.

peace, marcus
Marcus

Postby Manito » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:56 am

Hello all,
Thanks for the comments. The formulation for both of the Ardub products is based on high vitamin E containing tree oils which are all natural and non toxic. Some folks like to stay away from Petroleum based products like Bag Balm and I am one of those. Here's Why I never used it:

The active ingredients of Bag Balm are 8-hydroxyquinoline sulfate 0.3% (antiseptic) in a petroleum jelly USP and lanolin base.[2]

Bag Balm, in the past, has been documented as containing 0.005% mercury "from ethylated sterols".[3][4] Mercury was once used in many products as an effective antiseptic,[4] although much less commonly today, now that the toxic effects of mercury and its compounds are more widely understood. Mercury is no longer listed as an ingredient in Bag Balm.

Lanolin is also great but to me it seems to go rancid and can eventually leave a rancid smell on the head if used alone, so I left it out of my formulas.

Shea butter plays a large role in the moisturizing effect, but it is not the only player. I think it's important to state clearly that my two formulas are not the same. As PC said, there is no Arnica in the Ardub Drum Rub. Arnica's main activity is in preventing and reducing swelling and I think that's kind of a moot point for the skins.

In my experience, Shea butter is excellent for just about all types of skin, living and rawhide or even fine leather if it's applied right. It is the main moisturizing ingredient in both of my formulas. The other tree nut oils in the mix : Manteca de Corojo, Mango Butter and Cocoa butter each have their own densities and properties that make them beneficial for all types of skin, but they are all different. The admixtures for both Drum Rub and Drummer's Hand Rub are something I've been working on for quite some time until I arrived at what I consider the best mixtures to perform the task at hand: either conditioning a drum head, or soothing swollen dry hands. Each ingredient has a purpose and I believe the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. For example, using manteca de corojo straight leaves an orange oily stain on the head and the hands. It takes quite a while to fully soak in and I always felt the skins were left too oil saturated. Goodbye cie tones (whale tones), which is problematic for playing Afro-Haitian rhythms. It is however great for skins when tempered with stiffer and denser oils. The beeswax goes down in a microscopically fine layer to seal out humidity, sort of like a temporary clear coat. After a while of steady playing, your hands will pick it back up off the head, but after the Drum Rub sinks in, the head has just the right amount of tack that helps fingertips stick for easier slaps and bent cie tones are easy and resonant.

Everyone has their own ideas about how to care for (or not) their drumheads. I say whatever works for you is great, but this stuff works for me and I stand behind it all the way because I've been using it for years.

As far as Arnica and High Anti-Oxidant Natural tree nut oils go for the hands, I don't think there is any dispute that they are extremely beneficial. But the Hand Rub is not just for the hands, I have people who use it for Psoriasis, Eczema, bruises and sprains, I even use it on my sore back after hoisting 650 lb logs onto the lathe. Again I use it because it works. I'm not out to market a product I don't believe in or use myself

@Abakua, funny brother, but have you really never played gig after gig, or for hours on end at a bembe or a guiro or a rumba and had swollen hands after? :shock: Didn't see your comment about the Drum Rub. Have you tried it?

Bendiciones,
Manito
Manito

Postby Marcus » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:15 pm

Hey All,

I was wanting to condition my conga heads with the suggested Manteca De Corojo, red palm oil. Seem like a silly question but if I go to a local African market and buy red palm oil is this the same as the fancy jars labeled Manteca De Corojo. Wondering if there is any difference with quality and such. I am use to the rating of olive oils but not familiar with red palm oil.

Thx, marcus
Marcus

Postby pcastag » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:59 am

Yes it's the same, I always just buy african red palm pil. There may be different grades but I don't know of any.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby jorge » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:48 pm

pcastag wrote:I thought we were not supposed to make ay dispariging comments about items being sold here. I still find it amazing how the forum rules are appllied selevtively . C'mon folks, fair is fair, if other people are geting deleted for making comments that are outside of the "rules", then we should all try to follow them. Or get rid of them.
PC

PC

I did not see any disparaging comments made about items. I think we need to differentiate disparaging comments (which have an element of mockery or emotion and not a constructive intent), from criticisms (including opinions that may or may not be based on objective evidence). Evidence based criticisms, and when objective evidence is not available, opinions based on subjective personal experience, can be highly valuable and important parts of our information interchange here.

And regarding manteca de corojo or palm kernel oil, it can go rancid as well in hot climates. I store it in the refrigerator for long term storage.
jorge

Next

Return to INSTRUMENTS FOR SALE