Vintage Fat Congas in Mint condition from the 80's

Sell your intruments here, or post up any bargains you come across for sale.
Forum rules
Sell your own gear here, or post up any links to sales of percussion instruments.
KEEP IT POSITIVE PLEASE, SAVE ANY NEGATIVITY TO PRIVATE MESSAGE.

Vintage Fat Congas in Mint condition from the 80's

Postby Mr.Rumba » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:17 am

IMG_6878.jpg
Fat congas closer look
IMG_6869.jpg
3 Fat Congas
I am just testing out the waters to see who might be interested in these amazing drums. Back in the day, (before Volcano) these were the most "exotic" drums. They are made from what I believe to be solid birds eye maple wood. The drums as you can see are in excellent condition. I have purchased 3 top of the line skins for them as well but have not mounted them yet. The bottom ring (that touches the ground) on the very bottom conga fell off (i have it) and the quinto is missing the same bottom ring.They were originally glued on. I am thinking of putting a clear tube there instead (like on the Skin On Skin and Matthew Smith conga bottoms) to protect the drums and the floor you play on a swell. The drums sound great as is and I have made some videos of them if you want to hear them, just let me know or I can post here as well. My desire is to possibly trade for something like Matthew Smith, Skin On Skin, JCR or Junior Tirado drums as an option to selling, or I may just keep them.
Attachments
IMG_6879.jpg
beautiful birds eye maple wood
IMG_6882.jpg
Tumba
IMG_6883.jpg
requinto
Mr.Rumba

Re: Vintage Fat Congas in Mint condition from the 80's

Postby pcastag » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:51 pm

Beautiful drums, one of the few custom drums I've never laid hands on, how would you describe the sound in relation to other drums ( ie valje, gon bops, matts , sos etc.)
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Omelenko1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:05 pm

My friend Miguel Cruz, leader of "Skins", was Fat Congas first endorser (late 70's). He complained about the drums having no such a good sound projection. Poncho also remarked the same to me, at the time Poncho switched to Skin on Skin. Fats are the only congas I have never owned.
Omelenko1

Postby conganalu » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:35 pm

The owner brought the set to my house yesterday. These drums are beautiful and in such a good shape that they look brand new ! And you won't believe how much he paid for the set ! Tremendously good deal :D .
conganalu

Postby onile » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:17 pm

I must say, I have a set of 3 Fat Cherry Congas and they sound incredibly beautiful, but as was previously stated......they lack in volume :( :(

I wouldn't sell mine unless I was offered 3.8 million dollars for the set! :lol: :lol:

As far as volume is concerned, I've got my Matthew Smiths, Islas, and LP Patatos!
Attachments
180636_1636122220888_1171699794_31384966_6722550_n.jpg
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Jerry Bembe » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:11 am

Deleted
Last edited by Jerry Bembe on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Bembe

Postby pcastag » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:42 pm

500 is a great deal, and there's nothig wrong with making some $$$$, but hey, if he posted a starting bid at 1500 and somebody met that and then he pulled them? Unacceptable!! :P
PC
pcastag

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:20 pm

I met the Brother that used to make Fat congas out of his garage in Santa Barbara California.. I can't remember his name unfortunately ..it was around 1978-79...my problem was one, no projection and 2 you couldn't get your legs around them to hold, though they were great to look at ...and Yes Miguel had used them with his group Skins back then...couldnt scan the whole cover...
Miguel Cruz and Skins  (1).jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby Omelenko1 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Miguel Cruz, sitting behind the Gon Bops quinto, in the center (above) was the first endorser for Fat Congas. He complained about the poor sound projection, preferred to use fiberglass LPs. Poncho also endorsed Fats, sound projection was also a problem for him.
Omelenko1

Postby onile » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:57 pm

I had bought my set from Rick Buschemi, from Santa Barbara CA back during the years you mentioned JC.
I was blown away with the time it took from payment to delivery, 3yrs. I was equally blown away with the drums themselves however, beautiful work of art, as well as a very warm sound (soft, deep, and melodic). Not the projection of sound that one needs on a latin gig, or otherwise, without excellent mics and a great sound system. I took them out on a couple of gigs, Latin Jazz only.
Attachments
fats.jpg
onile

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:59 pm

RIGHT! RICK BUSCHEMI...Tks...!...he also made maracas and claves as well...and ventured into cajon making...what ever happened to him???.
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:39 pm

....from my last communications with him, which was a couple of years before he sold the company, he had become too busy making cajons. The focus of the company, which consisted of him, his wife and an "intern" (which is what his wife, Millie used to refer to him as), there was little to no time dedicated to making congas towards the end of his reign over the company. I would constantly request that he make me a 14" super tumba, but I would NEVER be able to talk with him. Millie would always answer the phone, and/or emails. Her response to me ALWAYS was.....at the moment he's working on getting a cajon shipment ready, but "hope springs eternal" (essentially telling me to keep hoping). Unfortunately, I never got to speak with him again, and now I don't know what his status is.

The company was sold, and this person seems to have bought it......I am not sure if they're still in business anymore though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cAka_P_5H8

Stay well JC!

Onile
onile

Postby bobzline » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:26 pm

Are they available and how much are they today?
bobzline
bobzline

Postby Jerry Bembe » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:08 am

Deleted
Last edited by Jerry Bembe on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Bembe

Postby bobzline » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:02 pm

Jerry, I will be on vacation 'til the weekend of the 20th. I will probably pull the trigger then, if they are still available. Do you have cases for them and where are they? I'm in Miami. bobzline
bobzline

Next

Return to INSTRUMENTS FOR SALE