Vintage Fat Congas in Mint condition from the 80's

Sell your intruments here, or post up any bargains you come across for sale.
Forum rules
Sell your own gear here, or post up any links to sales of percussion instruments.
KEEP IT POSITIVE PLEASE, SAVE ANY NEGATIVITY TO PRIVATE MESSAGE.

Re: Vintage Fat Congas in Mint condition from the 80's

Postby onile » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:55 am

pcastag wrote:could've sworn I saw those fats up for sale again.
PC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fat-Congas-Mapl ... 7675.l2557

I was right! Here they are, looks like they made their way to Miami somwhow. Interesting.

The impression left from all of this, is that someone is not being forthcoming with the truth. Greed is a common factor in todays economy, and it will certainly drive one to do deceitful, and desperate things in order to obtain a higher price. In the infamous words of that great resident of the town of Mayberry, "For shaaaaame, for shame, for shame!" (Gomer Pyle).
Attachments
th.jpg
th.jpg (11.74 KiB) Viewed 12961 times
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Omelenko1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:27 pm

The set in Miami belonged to a friend of mine Steve, who had it for several years. I thought of buying it, but my friend Miguel Cruz of "Skins" and Poncho also, they claimed that Fats did not project well. I played these one time and was not impressed with the sound projection. I played them against SOS, Mopercs and Tom Flores Valje and they couldn't stand up to those in sound projection. With that said, I always thought they were beautiful looking congas.
Omelenko1

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Omelenko I concur!...look good!..not good sounding, as I tried them out years ago as well...i wasn't impressed..and you cant get your legs around them either to hold them, unless u play standing up with stands...
JohnnyConga

Postby Omelenko1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:12 pm

JC my brodda,

Our mutual friend Miguel Cruz was Fat's first endorser, Poncho also endorsed Fats'. Both of them were not pleased with the sound projection, you also, a seasoned player concurs. I was always blown away by their looks, I played the set that was here in Miami in hope of buying it, but the sound was sort of flat when I compared it to a set of Matadors. It might have been the skins on them, so I didn't go with it.
Omelenko1

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:13 am

They just didnt project for me..it wasn't a sound that smacked you in the face...like my volcanos or sos, or juniors...no comparison...
JohnnyConga

Postby Thebreeze » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:26 am

Well.....looks like someone just shelled just over 700 dollars per drum ( with shipping ). Hopefully they will be satisfied with the sound projection on the drums, but the first thing they should do is fix that horrible micky mouse glue job that was done on the bottom ring of one of the drums. You have to have been blind to do work like that. Other than that the drums seem to be in decent shape, but I would not hold my breath trying to resell them for the same amount any time soon.
Thebreeze

Postby Thaiconga » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:50 am

These were two sets of different FAT conga drums from different owners.
Thaiconga

Postby Mr.Rumba » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:26 am

I am the owner of the FATS in question. I still have them. Also, everything is fine between the person who wanted to buy them and myself. We worked it all out.
Mr.Rumba

Postby congalero » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:21 am

Mr.Rumba wrote:I am the owner of the FATS in question. I still have them. Also, everything is fine between the person who wanted to buy them and myself. We worked it all out.
congalero

Postby congalero » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:23 am

Thanks for the response. Question! Are the drums still for sale?
congalero

Postby Mr.Rumba » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:54 am

No, I decided to keep them. Thanks for your interest.
Mr.Rumba

Postby MichaelC » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:39 pm

OK, I just found this thread... I confess, I paid for those Birdseye Maple Fat Congas. They are absolutely Beautiful!!! They sound fine, not as loud as Skin On Skin, or Matt Smith. I own sets from both makers and have picked up my drums from them both personally, a real treat for me. I think they sound more like Valje, and I have sets of those too. I prefer thicker skins. I'll get new skins sometime, but they sound fine now.
I've already fixed the bottom rings on all three drums, since they are stainless steel, as is all the hardware, I think maybe the drums contracted over the years just enough to loosen them as they were only glued on. I used silicon sealant and that has worked perfectly. These drums are all as well made as any drums I've ever seen, each drum has 6 lugs, even the 10", and each lug is centered on a stave. Inside the drums are even, but no alma, and since the wood grain has the 'bird eye' feature the drums were not turned on a lathe but rather hand finished, something that is felt rather than seen. I'm very happy with them.
MichaelC

Postby Omelenko1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Did you buy the ones from Steve in Miami? I was familiar with those.
Omelenko1

Postby Seneferu » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Fat Congas ended up being bought by Swan Percussion, who make some very innovative cajons. As far as the sound projection of the Fat Conga, I never had a problem holding it between my legs or projecti a clear beautiful tone. I have a 12" maple conga. Started with an oak drum. Both project very well with lots of overtone. I still play that drum today. About to play it and 3 Fat Conga cajons tomorrow. Everywhere I plsy that drum, drummers fall in love with it. With all due respect to Poncho Sanchez and Johnny Conga. Matter of fact, my Fat Conga projected so well, I let my partner use my board in or order to project on a carpet floor. Right now Swan is focusing on building cajons. Don't know, if ever they will put out a Fat Conga conga drum. If you have a vintage one, one better keep it. Just my opiniln. Musically yojts in peace and joy, Seneferu
Seneferu

Postby smackdaddy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:48 pm

I think that I make good cajons too, though I defer to Fat Congas, they are the best! Here is some of my work. . . my link is in my sig to my shop. . .BTW, I also offer something that no other major company has and that is the 28" tumba. . .
Attachments
IMG_0950.JPG
10012436_809454692415192_4269535682163535222_n.jpg
inventory.jpg
https://youtu.be/10wqmq94w5Q

Me on quinto with the rumberos of Kansas City!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/63rdstreetpercussion

Afro Cuban cajons for sale.
smackdaddy

PreviousNext

Return to INSTRUMENTS FOR SALE