Vintage Bongos Ebay/LP PP Quinto NYC CL

Sell your intruments here, or post up any bargains you come across for sale.
Forum rules
Sell your own gear here, or post up any links to sales of percussion instruments.
KEEP IT POSITIVE PLEASE, SAVE ANY NEGATIVITY TO PRIVATE MESSAGE.

Vintage Bongos Ebay/LP PP Quinto NYC CL

Postby PRDRconguero » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:05 pm

Hello All,

Due to just plain being busy, I haven't been on here often but I hope everyone is well. I figured I'd come here to put it out there since I have to thin out the herd a bit: I an selling an old cuban bongo and an early LP Quinto.

The bongos are currently on ebay simply under "Vintage Bongos". They are for sale but even if no one here is interested, I'm curious if anyone can I.D. them. I recognize the style but cannot pinpoint anything on the maker or shop. The stamp on the inside of the drum sparks my curiosity:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271178554704?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

The early LP PP Fiberglass Quinto is on NYC Craigslist. It's in fantastic condition and includes the original LP leather bag:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/msg/3703653736.html

If anyone's interested, great, but if not, I'd love to hear any input....especially about the bongos. I'm considering upgrading from my Matador Timbs and going for the 14/15 Brass Prestige drums as a playing set. If you have anything along the same lines, I may be open to a trade/partial trade. Thanks.

PS: If anyone is interested, please reach out to me via ebay since it goes to my phone directly, and the email tied to this account does not. I'll check this over the next few days though.
PRDRconguero

Re: Vintage Bongos Ebay/LP PP Quinto NYC CL

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Just curious. Do you know the year that quinto came out?
That handle on the quinto is kool.
RitmoBoricua

Postby ponceno48 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:27 pm

what is the value of those bongos?
ponceno48

Postby PRDRconguero » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:31 am

RitmoBoricua wrote:Just curious. Do you know the year that quinto came out?
That handle on the quinto is kool.

I'm not sure but I've never had one with this type of handle.

ponceno48 wrote:what is the value of those bongos?

I have no idea....kind of playing it by ear on ebay. I'm hoping someone here has some knowledge on this drum.
PRDRconguero

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:35 am

That have to be an early quinto because that handle
is not your tipical LP handle. That handle looks like
it came out of somebody's garage or basement machine
shop.
RitmoBoricua

Postby docarroyo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:58 am

Theyare not a home made handle I owned a set of three with the same handel, If I find my photo I will post it. I sold them to a guy in Philladelphia who was moving to central America, I cant remember the country. I purchased mine used in 1978 they were the first issued series of LP Fiber Glass congas made. As a matter of fact the way to tell the age is by the handel. I do regret selling them I fell they were the best sounding Fiberglass drums I have heard to date. Good luck with your sales Those Cuban Bongo are F'ing sweet and only the market will determine the value.
docarroyo

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:16 pm

Than
docarroyo wrote: As a matter of fact the way to tell the age is by the handel.

Thank you shipmate, Doc. I knew the handle was key on telling the drum's age.
I have a conga 11 3/4", black too, with the exact same handle and the original
LP tripod stand. I am looking for the tumba; this quinto with the bag is very sweet
and tempting. Almost forgot the price is very attractive too, priced to sell.
Last edited by RitmoBoricua on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RitmoBoricua

Postby PRDRconguero » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:20 pm

Thanks guys. The quinto sounds great but I already have a matching set of 3 black fiberglass. I bought a mint set of what I believe to be LP walnut bongos with the quinto....those will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands. I'll put a pic up soon.

I added another pic to the bongo eBay auction. Judging by a thread on requenas here and some great input from a forum member, it looks like this maker got his skins from the same guy.
PRDRconguero

Postby Omelenko1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:14 pm

LP started in 1964, Cohen started making bongos first. Congas came in around 1967, those were the first handles he used, very art deco. I date that quinto between 1967 and 1971. In 1972, of which I have a trio, that handle design changed. I will enclosed photo of my set.
The bongos are Candido Requena. Luis Martinez, just like Solis Music Store, might have been a reseller that Requena made bongos for.
LP%20original%20model.jpg
LP%20original%20model.jpg (31.45 KiB) Viewed 5225 times
Omelenko1

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:34 am

Thanks for the info Dario.
RitmoBoricua

Postby PRDRconguero » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:54 am

Omelenko1 wrote:LP started in 1964, Cohen started making bongos first. Congas came in around 1967, those were the first handles he used, very art deco. I date that quinto between 1967 and 1971. In 1972, of which I have a trio, that handle design changed. I will enclosed photo of my set.
The bongos are Candido Requena. Luis Martinez, just like Solis Music Store, might have been a reseller that Requena made bongos for.
LP%20original%20model.jpg

Dario,

Thank you very much for the detailed information. Regarding the bongos, I had an inkling but would never state that unless I had a more informed opinion. I have a solid shell Requena in dark stain and the hardware looks almost identical except for the wing nuts on the solid shell ones. Like it was said many times here before: "If those drums could only talk..."

Regarding the fiberglass quinto, I only wish that I had a full set of three but I'm happy with my later set of three that I do have. I had a conga/tumba pair in your same color but sold them when I realized I had too many drums at that time. If I don't get any bites on CL for this quinto, I'll try ebay. Hate to see her go but oh well.

Thanks again.
PRDRconguero

Return to INSTRUMENTS FOR SALE