how do you play guiro

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby yalla » Thu May 22, 2003 6:39 am

Well, what I was trying to describe to martin is one of the mostly used pattern for Cuban guiro, related to cuban music - there are obviously many other ways to play guiro, and different kind of instruments, materials, grooves, scrapers. But I would like to point out that played in cuban style, the guiro not only adds a sound but really propels the band and the dancers, when played correctly.
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Postby yoni » Thu May 22, 2003 9:46 am

Hi Jorge, hope all is fine with you also. Most guiros I saw in the Eastern Caribbean were home-made and not the large size like the gourd type, but a smaller wooden one (I don't know the difference between Cuban and Dominican guira, but the smaller wooden kind is the one I mostly saw and heard).

I don't have a guiro right now and I will soon have much less access to this computer, but will try to record the patterns I mentioned on a "guiro substitute", like a ribbed cup or something...

Here's a try at a zouk pattern in print. Zouk conga parts are a little similar to merengue. Perhaps the guiro part is also similar.

guiro zouk (4/4)

zzzt zt tzzzzz, zzzt zt tzzzzz//
1 2 3 4

zzzt and zt are upstrokes. zt comes just before the downstroke.

Hope this helps!
Yoni
yoni

Postby Laurent Lamy » Thu May 22, 2003 10:11 am

Hi,
in zouk, the conga part is like the haïtian compas. The origin is the biguine. The name of the güiro in the french islands Guadeloupe and Martinique is "Sillac". It is a stem of bamboo that is played stuck between the stomach of the percussionist and such a vertical surface like a wall or a tree.
Laurent Lamy

Postby tamboricua » Sat May 24, 2003 4:13 pm

Hi Laurent, hope all is well! Can you please recommend me some good Zouk and Haitian compas artists?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Laurent Lamy » Sat May 24, 2003 5:01 pm

tamboricua wrote:Hi Laurent, hope all is well! Can you please recommend me some good Zouk and Haitian compas artists?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

:) Yes, with pleasure.

COMPAS:

La Perfecta
Tabou Combo

ZOUK:

Kassav'
MARIO CANONGE
Zouk link: http://www.zoukzone.com/sommaire.htm
You can listen some audio extract of the cd's.
Laurent Lamy

Postby Laurent Lamy » Sat May 24, 2003 5:24 pm

Hey Tamboricua,
do you know the art of Gwoka playing? I have a hot link for you but it is in french: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/lameca....hm.html
Laurent Lamy

Postby tamboricua » Sat May 24, 2003 6:39 pm

Laurent Lamy wrote:Hey Tamboricua,
do you know the art of Gwoka playing? I have a hot link for you but it is in french: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/lameca....hm.html

Thanks, Laurent! No, I'm not familiar with the Gwoka tradition. In which country does it originated?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Laurent Lamy » Sat May 24, 2003 6:47 pm

Guadeloupe and Martinique, french carraibean islands. Some of these rhythms are very similar of the bomba rythm!

Edited By Laurent Lamy on May 24 2003 at 19:53
Laurent Lamy

Postby tamboricua » Sat May 24, 2003 6:53 pm

Laurent Lamy wrote:Hi,
in zouk, the conga part is like the haïtian compas. The origin is the biguine. The name of the güiro in the french islands Guadeloupe and Martinique is "Sillac". It is a stem of bamboo that is played stuck between the stomach of the percussionist and such a vertical surface like a wall or a tree.

Laurent, do you have a picture of the actual "Sillac"?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Laurent Lamy » Sat May 24, 2003 6:58 pm

No, I am really sorry! I would have liked to share it indeed with the list.

Edited By Laurent Lamy on May 24 2003 at 19:58
Laurent Lamy

Postby tamboricua » Sat May 24, 2003 6:59 pm

Laurent Lamy wrote:Guadeloupe and Martinique, french carraibean islands. Some of these rhythms are very similar of the bomba rythm!

Yeah, I did notice some similarities on the drums construction, and in some of the rhythms names. Which rhythms do you find similar to the Puertorican Bomba?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Laurent Lamy » Sat May 24, 2003 7:07 pm

Like the biguine!
Laurent Lamy

Postby tamboricua » Sat May 24, 2003 7:20 pm

Laurent Lamy wrote:Like the biguine!

Laurent, which of the Puertorican Bomba rhythms do you find to be the counterpart to biguine?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Laurent Lamy » Sat May 24, 2003 7:44 pm

Do you have an idea?
Once, several years ago I gave a course to a native of the French islands, I showed to him bomba sica adapted to the salsa! He didn't want to believe that it was not from his country!
I hope that my answer agrees to you because I don't see how to answer you otherwise...

Edited By Laurent Lamy on May 24 2003 at 20:46
Laurent Lamy

Postby tamboricua » Sat May 24, 2003 9:19 pm

So it is Bomba Sicá the Puertorican "Seis de Bomba" more similar to the biguine? I said "Seis", because in Puerto Rico for example, the different Bomba rhythms in the Northern part of the island are known as "Seises de Bomba". On the Southern Bomba tradition they are known as "Sones de Bomba".

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on May 24 2003 at 22:21
tamboricua

PreviousNext

Return to Other instruments