Shekere #2

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Re: Shekere #2

Postby KidCuba » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:25 am

Thanks for all the input.

Johnny, you get that fishing line at the sports store?
Triple Pulse Conga Practice- http://www.larumbero.com
KidCuba

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:46 pm

Yea at any of those places and Sports World...if there is one near you..Now Im talking about 'waxed" string..it's white with green bands on it...and comes in a spool...it will last a long time as well..35 pound weight...it won't break or shred once again it is easy to knot, as well...let me know how it turns out...the 'secret' of the sound of the chekere is the amount of beads that are put on the 'skirt'..heavy beading -loud...less beading--softer not as loud..I am also the first guy to actually put a bottom leather patch on my gourds(though there are newer materials today that I would use versus leather)...that I would glue and staple on ...mine are still on my gourds today after 30 years..it protects the gourd if it is dropped...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Here is the bottom of my very first chekere I made back in 1980 with the leather patch still on it with glue...the second one is with the newer material glued and stapled..
DSCN0679.JPG

DSCN0677.JPG
JohnnyConga

Postby KidCuba » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Where do you find those leather patches? I been looking around, but aside going to a fabric store - I haven't seen anything.
Triple Pulse Conga Practice- http://www.larumbero.com
KidCuba

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:03 pm

I experimented with materials until I found the green one..which comes in multiple colors..orange, blue, etc..I don't remember what the material is called..but it's not a leather product ..it comes in sheets(8 1/2 by 11) and I got them at a Womens Fabric and hobbie store...it's a bit thicker than leather and actually better to use...it doesnt wear and doesnt shred or anything..I have had the green one on that chekere for more than 15 years now....
JohnnyConga

Postby OLSONGO » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:14 am

On my high end Shekeres I put glass beads with plastic beads. So in this case less beading is louder than heavy amount of plastic beading. Also depends on the pattern one is working on.
There are various types of nylon string, some very strong and non stretch and more for the money... just need to look around in your area or the web.
Peace
Olsongo
Attachments
shek.jpg
shek.jpg (15.25 KiB) Viewed 6033 times
OLSONGO

Previous

Return to Other instruments