bougarabou technique - more like congas or djembes?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby woodard » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:56 pm

hi
im a long time reader of this site but this my first post. i play djembe and congas, but recently played a bougarabou. i loved it and began doing research on this drum. so far i've found artists, material to make them, history, and origin. but i've been unable to find anything on stroke technique. thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
woodard
emmett woodard
woodard

Postby Chupacabra » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:04 am

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd resurrect this one from the grave!
I have heard of some congueros etc. using the "bougarabou technique". Is there anyone who can elaborate on this?
I have a really nice set of 'bougs and can't play them enough. I just use the "conga technique" to get those beautiful sounds out of them. Is there anything else I should know?
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby Derbeno » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:55 am

You may have seen this and the associated discussion on page 53 of the video threads forum
Just in case:
[URL=<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zIYhFgLnZFA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zIYhFgLnZFA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>]

Edited By Derbeno on 1202040216
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby pavloconga » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:26 am

With a bugarabou, I think a lot depends on the thickness of the skin. I have a bugarabou that I bought in Ghana.

It had a skin a little thicker than a djembe on it and therefore needed technique more like on a djembe. I later had it re-skinned by a drummer from The Gambia who put a very thick skin on it for me (like a conga skin). After that it felt a lot more like a conga and needed a more conga like technique. Even then, the feel of the drum still felt like something in between a djembe and a conga. Beautiful drum by the way.

BTW like I said in the discussion in the vid thread above, the drums in that vid don't look like bugarabous to me. They look more like sabar drums (or related), which are quite different again. As I understand it, bugarabous do not have the horizontal tuning pegs like those in the video. But instead are strung like a djembe and have a similar shape to djembe but narrower.

Edited By pavloconga on 1202110772
pavloconga

Re: bougarabou technique - more like congas or djembes?

Postby Greensail » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:46 pm

it's really a completely different instrument. Different shape and there different tonal qualities. Also a Dijembe uses a goat skin which is thinner and therefore louder and more ringy to my ear. It is a lead instrument. in contrast, a bougarabou has a cow skin and is a good bit more like a conga. However most I have seen use much thinner skins than is typical for congas. I use mostly conga technique. A fantastic sound, and do I ever wish I could get that booming bass note I can get on my boug on a conga!
Greensail

Return to Open Discussion