Kompa rhythms

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Kompa rhythms

Postby Greensail » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:18 am

The following is an excerpt from an email exchange offline but was felt to perhaps have wider interest so posted here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As Chitmulato warned, I have become rather
Infatuated with Kompa. Pretty much have a good feel for it, been creating variations using 3 drums while staying true to the rhythm (I think so anyway. Am trying to find some other songs to add it to and starting to make some amount of progress. Have you ever tried that or have any additional advice? If you feel it useful, no problem if you think a
regular post would be beneficial, feel free. Regards.
Appreciate the very detailed reply.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why not creating a post? It would be another attempt to ‌wake our beloved sleepy forum up. ;)
And why not using 3 congas instead of 2?

The guys usually play 2 drums (quinto and conga, because they find the tumba too low in this kind of music), but assuming you are not playing the genuine regulatory orthodox kompa in a genuine Haitian band, feel as free as you want - in my eyes at least. And adding a 3rd drum always gives more freedom and appeals to our inventiveness. The simple fact of playing the left hand on the left drum for instance is very interesting, as you certainly know. I like to play on 3 drums, though I currently don't do it so often because of room (space) problems.

Re: songs, there are so many...

I can suggest you bands rather than songs :

Tabou Combo, of course (initially called Tabou combo de Pétionville, as they still lived in Haiti, and then Tabou Combo de New York)
Skah Shah (Skah Shah #1, Skah Shah de New York)
Dadou Pasquet & Magnum Band
Ti Manno & Gemini All Stars
Mini All Stars
G.P. Express
D.P. Express
Robert Nozile
Nemours Jean-Baptiste (the creator of this genre)
Caribbean Sextet
Shoogar Combo
Les frères Dejean
Zèklè (with some jazzy influence)
Scorpio
Karimi (more "modern")
T-Vice (same remark)
Robert Martino
Dixie Band
System Band

Except for T-Vice and Karimi, which are recent bands (and partially kids of some musicians from other bands I mentionned), these are "old" bands, which were famous through the 70s and the 80s. The 90s too. From what I know, current bands tend to use more keyboards,drum machines and rap elements, which doesn't sound as good to me, though some have kept the groove.

If you want an insight, I gave once this link on the forum : https://www.radiosudest.com/
It's a radio station in Martinique, which often plays kompa. There are of course many others throughout the Caribbean, but it's the only one I know.

I suppose you noticed the conguero always plays the same pattern in the kompa. What makes the difference is when they play some breaks or take a chorus.
Greensail

Re: Kompa rhythms

Postby Greensail » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:24 am

Thanks again Chtimulato. Lots to check out. Already have discovered some new vibes with the suggestions. One additional clarification - I am also trying to see if the base Kompa rhythm fits in other types or genres of music. Could it fit with blues, perhaps some jazz?
Greensail

Postby Chtimulato » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:19 pm

As it derives from merengue, amongst others, you could try to apply it to any rhythm sounding close to it.
If you listen to some other Caribbean rhythms/dances, you'll notice they often sound similar, or at least related. The conga part in biguine, zouk and other rhythm often sounds similar, with subtle variations (one note more, or one note less). So why not? As long as you have a clean playing and serve the music, I'd say go for it. Try this playing along with records first, : if it doesn't sound weird to you, it's good. If you're playing in a band, as long as your bandmates keep smiling and moving their head, and don't look daggers at you, it's allright. I gave up trying to explain mine what I was playing (most of them don't care), for instance telling them I had a 2/3 clave playing in my head, because they're not necessarily interested (I mean when playing something not latin). As I said, as long as your playing fits to the music, everything's OK. I guess you've seen Wim Wenders' Buena Vista Social Club movie. Ry Cooder's son explains that he's playing udu and other stuff on Cuban music, and that the Cuban guys smiled, because it didn't bother them. They found it funny. Experimentation is the key.

Stay safe, you all.
Chtimulato

Postby Greensail » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:07 am

Thanks again Chtimulato. To my ear, the various genres you mention sound related as opposed to similar. But maybe that's because I'm fairly new to the genre. Again, you provide a lot to explore. I do note nuanced variations that I'm trying to get a feel for in addition to my own. I've mostly enjoyed playing the basic rhythm on 3 drums.
Yes, I have been experimenting trying to incorporate it into tunes that I play with my mates with a little success (I think). At some point when I think it's working, I'll introduce. Generally everyone is pretty good about taking a tune and making it our own. (Plus, if/when I bail to the islands, doesn't really matter)
For those of you who haven't explored Kompa, I'd recommend.
Greensail

Return to Open Discussion