country patterns

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby ally » Thu May 09, 2002 9:36 am

I have not been playing long and I play with a guitarist and a sequencer. I know the basic patterns and was wondering which basic patterns suit most countryrock music. We play everything from 60s rock through to 90s dance, reggae etc. We are going to be learning a few country rock songs . Any help would be appreciated.
ally

Postby congabebe » Sun May 19, 2002 4:42 pm

Hi Ally,
I have been playing in a band like you describe. I sat in with a guitar player that had never played with a percussionist and he loves country. Some stuff doesn't work with congas. So I used woodblock or tamborine and I found a scratch sound I can do that sounds like a washboard effect. This guitarist had told me he hated tamborine and reluctantly let me sit in. I lucked out cause I am friends with the drummer and the bass player is my husband and they are a great team and I really just follow them in style. Some country music has congas in it, so you will be surprized it is not that uncommon. I use the same latin patterns I just change the pattern to go with what the drummer is doing. I will say the best thing is listen and blend. Get the recording that you are working on and play along with it. Experiment at home. Eventually you won't have to decide, the pattern will come with the music. And I will pass on the advise I was given when I started playing. 'JUST PLAY put your heart in it'
I hope I was able to help.
Good Luck,
congabebe :D
congabebe

Return to Open Discussion