Any suggestions for recorder for drum workshops? - Something small & portable

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby eric » Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:27 pm

I am soon to attend the Afro-Cuban workshop at Humboldt State Uni. and I know from past experience that I will want to record the 90 minute drum/percussion or dance sessions. Obviously, I don't need studio quality here - and I couldn't afford it anyways.

I've got an old Panasonic "shoebox' cassette recorder but maybe I'd like something better?

Any suggestions for simple pocket sized recorder, maybe sound-activated, for dance & drum workshops? I'd like to spend under $200 -don't know whether to go cassette ('cause I have tons of old 90 minute cassettes I could record on) or go Digital with a USB port and dump the recordings onto my computer.

Any experience or suggestions out there?

Thanks,
Eric Limbach
Pocatello, ID
eric

Postby 120decibels » Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:04 pm

Lately, I have been using a Sony Minidisc Recorder and a Sony stereo microphone to record lessons and workshops. It works great. It is tiny (smaller than a cassete tape), and it was relatively inexpensive ($300 total). It makes digital recordings and can handle a lot of time (at the best, a few hours on a disc). However, you sacrifice frequency bandwidth for storage space. At near-CD quality, you can record 74 or 80 minutes on a minidisc. You have the option to lower the quality and pack more time on the disc.

I have recorded at the lowest quality setting, and the recordings still sound better than tapes. However, I always try to do the highest quality if I can. Minidiscs are relatively cheap at less that $2 a disc. If you want the details of my minidisc player, post and I will get them up on the Forum for you.

120dB
120decibels

Return to Open Discussion