Moisturizing a Conga Skin Head - What should I use?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Benjamin Esparza » Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:47 pm

I have a conga skin head that is a little dried out and I'm afraid that it will split if I don't do something soon. Fall and Winter are approaching and I don't want that to add to the problem. Can anyone recommend a cream, lotion, or oil that I can use to rejuvinate the head without affecting the tone or resonance of it? Please let me know. BTW, it is an LP "Hand Picked" head. Thanks.

Big Ben
Benjamin Esparza

Postby tamboricua » Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:30 am

Benjamin Esparza wrote:I have a conga skin head that is a little dried out and I'm afraid that it will split if I don't do something soon. Fall and Winter are approaching and I don't want that to add to the problem. Can anyone recommend a cream, lotion, or oil that I can use to rejuvinate the head without affecting the tone or resonance of it? Please let me know. BTW, it is an LP "Hand Picked" head. Thanks.

Big Ben

Benjamin, some people use "manteca de corojo", which is palm oil. Johnny Conga up in Seattle, uses just plain "manteca", which is "lard". Udder balm also works. Basically, any hand lotion with lanolin will do the job. Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio ;)
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:35 am

Vaya tamboriqua...I actually found some West African palm oil, and did my bongos and quinto with it. I do prefer it to Lard, actually. It's just easier to find than the Palm oil. I found it by accident at Pike's Market downtown Seattle. Put a thin coat and then put it out in the sun for 5 6 hours or under a heat lamp if sun is not avalable...Hope this helps...At your Service ...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Benjamin Esparza » Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:30 am

What exactly is palm oil? Is it cooking oil? If not, what kind of a store can I find it in and under which category? I just came back from Savon and bought a product called "Udder-Wize Moisturizing Balm" figuring it is the udder balm that Jorge suggested. Please enlighten me on a brand name of palm oil so I can narrow down the search. I also had a hard time finding anything with Lanolin. Is there a product or product name that has lanolin or pure lanolin? Thanks.

Big Ben

Edited By Benjamin Esparza on Sep. 05 2002 at 03:31
Benjamin Esparza

Postby Bongo Boy » Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:50 am

My goodness it's a drum head...I wouldn't freak out about this. Get any old bottle of hand cream such as St Ives or Vaseline Intensive Care or whatever--you're not going to permanently damage anything, especially if the head is already dried out to the extreme. Chances are it's already a crappy head and you need to get a new one anyway!! This isn't rocket science--anything that you think will be absorbed into the skin is better than nothing, eh?

While you rub the head with both hands lubricated with some selected soothing emolient, repeat the words, "Ohmmmm she lakka lakka...ohmmmmmm she lakka lakkaa." I think you'll soon see a big improvement in the head condition.

...do it with feeling, tho, not just some bullsh..t mantra. Eh?

Edited By Bongo Boy on Sep. 05 2002 at 20:54
Bongo Boy

Postby 120decibels » Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:40 am

HA! Bongo Boy, you've hit the nail on the head. (no pun intended). Thanks for making me laugh this morning.

Zach
120decibels

Postby michael rosario » Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:32 pm

dry skins is a normal situation, buy a small jar of palm oil, ruba little in your hands and apply it evenly over the heads, wipe off any extra with clean cloth,let the drums set for a day,andthey should be fine... please remember only to use a little amount of oil. you can buy oil from botanical store..
..... take care ... michael rosario... e-mail is. fyodor21@aol.com
michael rosario

Return to Open Discussion