I suppose no one plays didjeridu? - Probably a vain hope

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Fish » Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:27 pm

Just wondering if anyone here plays or is learning didjeridu (or didgeridoo or however you want to spell it). I've checked out didj forums but no one is as nice as you guys. :D There's just a few things I'm unsure I'm doing right.

Hopefully someone will reply...

Fish
Fish

Postby 120decibels » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:12 pm

Fish,

I've dabbled it Didj a bit. I'm definitely not an authority, but I'd be happy to share any info I can. What are you looking for?

Zach
120decibels

Postby Fish » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:27 pm

Ok, I started learning didj about 2 months ago and I'm at the stage where I'm trying to incorporate circular breathing into my playing. I'm unsure if I am meant to snatch a breath at a set time in each bar (I think of it as being in bars of 4/4) or just when I can. Also when I do snatch a breath there is a definite rise in pitch and a short gap before I can start droning again. Will this disappear with practice?

Thanks,

Fish
Fish

Postby Fish » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:28 pm

Also, have you heard of a band called Brother. I have'nt got round to getting any of their songs, but it appears that they incorporate didj and bagpipes into a standard rock outfit.

Sounds like it could be cool!!

Fish
Fish

Postby 120decibels » Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:12 pm

Fish,

Haven't heard of Brother. I'll have to check them out.

I am also struggling with circular breating. However, I have seen experienced players do it with little or no change in pitch.

Anything you can do to stay in rhythm and make it sound like nothing's changing as you breathe is a good thing.

Zach
120decibels

Postby Chelsea » Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:19 am

Hey Fish,

We were shown a neat little circular breathing exercise in school as part of a brief didj lesson, which might be useful for you. (Yes, an Australian school. :))

Grab a cup full of water and a straw. Practice blowing out through the straw in your mouth whilst breathing in through your nose.

I've seen players who look as though they're taking a snatch of a breath in through their nose, but I think it's that when you're almost out of air, you let your nasal passages fill with air while expelling through your mouth. Quite tricky.

Chelsea
"Every instrument has to abide by the Clave. Stay on the Clave and you'll make it." - Tito Puente
Chelsea

Postby Fish » Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:39 am

Evening all,

The water/straw thing is a good exercise. I can't do it too well but enough to impress my friends :) . It seems that the answer is just to keep practising. A good video for newbies is one (can't remember its name) by Alastair Black. It's fairly common in Australia but I don't know how available it is in the States (or wherever).

Fish
Fish

Postby Fish » Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:53 am

I'm feeling a lot better about the whole circular breathing thing because I tried putting the end of my didj in a corner on a hard floor rather than carpet. It sounds a lot deeper and more resonant and masks gaps where you breathe a lot better. Of course that's how everyone but you hears it normally.

Also, with regards to changing of pitch when breathing. I read a thing which says that some change of pitch is perfectly natural - and adds a sort of "bounce" to the rhythm - sort of like using the first overtone.

Finally, has anyone experimented with using clapsticks (I believe that's what their called). I saw a video - not the Alastair Black one - where the player kept time by clicking one against the side of the didj. Also he could hold one on either side of the didj (sort of like a 4-mallet grip I guess, Zach) and execute rolls.

And I need an acceptable word for someone who plays the didj - didjeriduist just doesn't work.

Fish
Fish

Return to Open Discussion