exercise for improving speed

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby carlitos » Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:07 am

Can someone direct to where I can find exercises to improve hand speed.

Carlitos
carlitos

Postby Simon B » Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:18 pm

Rudiments and more rudiments. At the most basic level - do a roll and hold it exactly at the same speed for five minutes without stopping. Easier said than done. Do this every day gradually increasing the speed.

Also proper warm-ups and stretching so your wrists can be in peak condition.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby carlitos » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:05 am

Ok Simon, that gives me somthing to work on I currently now do it for a min and then go into tones slaps muffs and base, I proceed to do each hand in doubles for the same tones I guess I need to increase my time in doing each exercise. What warm ups do you suggest and what wrist exercises.
Thanks
Carltios
carlitos

Postby Simon B » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:36 pm

In terms of wrist warm-ups shake both wrists gently for a couple of minutes (as though you were strumming a guitar). Then hold out both arms imagining they are resting on a conga. Retract one hand fully, then the other - repeatedly - for a few minutes more, (as though you were doing open tones, but bringing the hand right back). If you can get hold of 'Mano a Mano', the Giovanni video, there are lots of these sorts of warm-ups on there - the idea is to get the tendons and the joints relaxed.

Then stretch. The best one I know is to kneel on all fours with your finger-tips facing your knees. Then very slowly kneel back - when you are near your limit hold for twenty seconds or so and repeat if you want. Now you're ready for playing!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:45 am

The one thing I would recommend is single stroke rolls, until forever. Giovanni has done almost the impossible and plays 64th note buzz rolls. So it is possible to play that fast it just takes hours of practice like everything else. Hope this helps...At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA..... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby RayBoogie » Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:21 am

JC, is that true? 64 note buzz rolls! DAMMMMMMMNNNN, I need to practice.
RayBoogie

Postby carlitos » Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:42 am

Thanks to you all, single stroke rolls, what about doing paradidls

Thanks
Carilitos
carlitos

Postby congabebe » Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:54 am

Not that I have speed undercontrol... But my comment to add is a metronome is a great study tool. Practice even strokes at a speed you are comfortable with, push the tempo til you find some speed you are comfortable with but takes effort. Keep that speed till you know it is steady. Then push the tempo up and practice faster that you can play for a few minutes till you convince yourself to relax enough your ear and limbs will adjust but not quite ('go for it' speed). Then back the tempo off and keep pace it a notch or 2 above you comfort zone and keep pace with it until it doesn't feel fast, then push the tempo back up... I was a flute player before I took up congas. So, the movements are completely different but I think it will translate to any instrument. Of course stretching is a must. And Take a break when you get really frustrated. Sometimes you have to let your mind catch up to what you body can do. Like reseting a clock.

my 2 cents,
Congabebe ;)
congabebe

Postby RayBoogie » Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:27 am

Speaking about metronomes. My former teacher told me to use the metronome when doing the Tumbao and Guaguanco. He said it help you to......, how did he say it. Oh yeah, "keep it in the pocket".
RayBoogie

Postby 120decibels » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:55 pm

The metronome has been key in my learning to play "in the pocket" no matter what instrument I play. Especially in the complex, syncopated, polyrhythmic world of Afro-Cuban music, a metronome can really help you figure out how things fit together.

Call me a computer-geek, but after playing guauanco, mambo, etc. with a metronome, I took it one step further and wrote a computer program to play clave for me. I have found it really useful. Unfortunately, I haven't put it together into something I can distribute yet.

Zach
120decibels

Postby 120decibels » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:01 pm

One other thing that I thought was worth mentioning in this discussion of playing fast. I wanted to make the point that, while playing 64th note rolls and other lightning fast licks is great for solos and fills, it doesn't make the player. What makes the player, in my opinion, is swing, groove, time, whatever you want to call it. If you can play "in the pocket" and occasionally throw down, you can always find a gig. However, I've seen folks that could play faster than I could ever hope to, but they were circus acts because they couldn't swing.

Of course, the aforementioned Gio has both talents. That is what makes him a monster.

My $0.02,

Zach
120decibels

Postby congabebe » Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:56 am

They have so many electronic gadgets out there, it is unbelievable. I got a Dr. Beat 15 yrs ago, and am amazed that they still make them and it is just about the same technology. I loved my old wooden metronome, but the Dr. Beat, you can put on a head set and pump up the volume so your playing doesn't drown it out. Another handy tool, a tape recorder. Record your self playing, and play against your self. This was great for flute playing. It really wakes up your ear to what you do wrong, makes you aware of tonality that you produce and .... keeps practice interesting. I got a cheap keyboard recently. Guess what, it has a metronome and a drum machine that plays different styles and you can change tempo and program it in phrases. I haven't done anything with it along those lines but I could see some neat practice tools in it. I think I need to go practice ... :D

bye,
congabebe
congabebe

Postby RayBoogie » Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:12 am

Hey 120, my sentiments exactly. Swing, grooze and timing will always get you gigs. ;)
RayBoogie

Postby KingKongas » Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:59 pm

Good suggestions. I'll take them all in and try and get that 64th! I have been practicing to a metronome lately. It has shown me what some have told me already... Slow down! I tend to get too ahead of the clave when I play. Using a metronome even while practicing exercises has helped to control my tempo alot! One day.... I agree with 120 that you should try and get real clean sounds at the lesser speeds. I've seen guys who are lightning fast for about 30 secs and then they fizzle. Or ask them to play a rhythm for over 10mins and they cant. The best would be a little of both worlds... Get your groove together and keep working towards the speed. The groove will get you gigs and the speed (if played right) can get you some shine!
KingKongas

Postby KingKongas » Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:01 am

Good suggestions. I'll take them all in and try and get that 64th! I have been practicing to a metronome lately. It has shown me what some have told me already... Slow down! I tend to get too ahead of the clave when I play. Using a metronome even while practicing exercises has helped to control my tempo alot! One day.... I agree with 120 that you should try and get real clean sounds at the lesser speeds. I've seen guys who are lightning fast for about 30 secs and then they fizzle. Or ask them to play a rhythm for over 10mins and they cant. The best would be a little of both worlds... Get your groove together and keep working towards the speed. The groove will get you gigs and the speed (if played right) can get you some shine!
KingKongas

Return to Open Discussion