My Drum Brother Jerry G

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:39 pm

I have known Jerry Gonzales since he was 15 yrs old while growing up in the Bronx. He is a personal; friend of mine and a very respected musician in the Drumming community. Jerry is now living in Spain where he has finally found his "true" audience and "respect" as a musician. I have known many musicians in my time that have left the States to pursue careers overseas because musicians are treated as "true artists". I am very happy for Jerry and I know that he is happy too being where he is. America has lost another artist and Europe has gained by it. I lived in Germany for over 3 years and also know what Jerry is experiencing. If not for personal reasons I would have never left Europe where musicians are treated with respect and admiration. I wish Jerry all the best in his new life abroad.......At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby muddy323 » Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:37 am

I guess i wont be seeing Jerry G. anytime soon in Los Angeles. That is bad news for me. I was lucky to see Jerry G. wit Chico O'Farrill at the Greektheater in 2000 or 2001 im not sure of year. He was playing congas. #### i never heard of him until then.But one thing for sure is his drumming left a lasting impression on me. I started searching all the used CD stores and put together a impressive collection of his music. I learned alot on timing from those CD's. Tell Jerry thanks for the lesson's and i hope to see him soon. I think America is ready for his music now! Jerry Gonzales is befor his time.
muddy323

Postby Simon B » Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:42 pm

Hey I would like to see more master players settle in the UK rather than mainland Europe! We're short!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:40 am

Hey Simon what about "Snowboy"? isn't he a recognized "player' there, in the UK? He seems decent enough to me, but I guess I know what you mean about "not enough" short as you say of "Master Drummers". Do you like Snowboy? Have u heard of him? I know he started out as a DJ who just happend to play congas. Am I right about that?....Hey got a gig for me? I haven't worked England since 1976 with Gloria Gaynor at the "old Bailey clubs" in Leicester, Burmingham and London. I still have my work permit from England. My Bro Jerry is fine and he will be back again, I'm sure. Like I said he has "found" his "audience" which I can relate to very well,I'm still looking for mine, that's why I left Miami and moved to Seattle. My audience was very short lived for living there 17 years and I couldn't sustain a "career" which I am now doing in Seattle. I'm 54 years old and still "kick it" with the "Best" of them. I am in the process of putting a "new' band together here in Seattle whcih will be a little ddifferent from my last in Miami. If you would like to hear my music please GOTO http://www.ShowGigs.com/JohnnyConga, and go to the Audio page.. 15 minutes of music from my first CD. I have 8 originals for my next CD and will be playing more of the "Vibes:(vibraphone) on my next one. Jerry plays trumpet, I play the Vibes. Remember "Versatility is Key".....Happy New Year with Peace and Congas...At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby RayBoogie » Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:45 am

JC, you are 100% correct. Snowboy was a DJ for Latin Jazz before he plyed the congas. I purchased one of his cd's and like you said he's a decent player. He's not riff crazy and he keeps it "in the pocket".

I wish you the best in Seattle!
RayBoogie

Postby 120decibels » Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:10 pm

JC,

Is Jerry really in Europe? I heard that Fort Apache did a couple of festivals in Colorado and elsewhere this year and just assumed that he was living here. Is Andy still in the US?

Zach
120decibels

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jan 04, 2003 11:17 pm

Yes Jerry has been living in Spain for about a year now. Andy is still in NYC and has been producing a group called "Rumba Club" out of the DC area. He still plays with Libre and Manny Oquendo on occasions. I imagine the next time you hear Jerry he will be coming out with some dynamic shit!......At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA.....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jan 04, 2003 11:18 pm

THANKS RAY...got a gig for me????? :D ...JC JOHNNY CONGA
JohnnyConga

Postby Simon B » Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:18 pm

To add to the Snowboy discussion, yeah he is THE figure on the UK Latin scene because as well as a prolific player he is still a regular DJ, as said, and also a journalist for at least one magazine. He recently released a new album 'Para Puente' - a tribute to Tito, though all the tracks are original and in Snowboy's own take on the heavy mambo sound. He was taught by a guy called Robin Jones who is probably the most senior conguero and percussionist in the UK.

The problem in the UK is that Snowboy and other top percussionists and teachers (many of whom are settlers from Brazil, Cuba, America) are nearly all based in London, with a smattering in only a few other cities. I am in Sheffield, about the fifth biggest city in the UK and there is no-one in this city to really teach me and the two or three other properly active conga players here. My 'lessons' usually involve talking and playing with my friend and conguero Marcello Bravo, an Argentinian who has travelled the world and befriended Latin musicians in various different places, who collars them when they tour here (Tata Guines was here a few weeks ago and invited him to Cuba) for techniques and tips! These he then passes on to me!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby muddy323 » Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:23 pm

On Snowboy... the only CD that i own is Afrocubanjazz...its some hard driving Mambo, not bad. But! not enough conga solo's for my taste. It may be 1-solo on this CD that came off a little weak. The organ grinder sound is classic, which makes this CD a keeper.
muddy323

Postby Simon B » Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:05 am

There is no getting away from it - Snowboy is no Giovanni. In fact no-one I know of in the UK is at the level of the top echelon of mainly US-based congueros. I don't want to be unfair on my countrymen but there are too few players and too thin a Latin scene! Growing up in Latin American or in a Latin district of a big American city has distinct advantages!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:26 am

Hi guys FYI Snowboy has recorded at least 8 CD's a couple are on Ubiquity also I think. Simon I have heard of Robin Jones. But i don';t remember who he has played for. At your Service..JC JOHNNY CONGA..
JohnnyConga

Postby Simon B » Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:06 pm

I think Robin Jones had records out with a group called King Salsa in the 1980s.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby 120decibels » Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:29 pm

Johnny,

Thanks. I knew that Andy was producing Rumba Club. As we've discussed before, I study with Sam Turner, their conga player. Did you ever call Sam to talk about old times?

Anyway, thanks for satiating my curiosity. I can't wait to hear what Jerry's working on!

Zach
120decibels

Postby benbaboon » Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:48 pm

Does anybody has recommendation as to which one of the 8 snowboy albums is the one to check out for starters?
Also, Is Jerry's work in spain being published anywhere?
:D bb
benbaboon

Next

Return to Open Discussion