Wobbly heads

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Michael S » Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:29 pm

I've mentioned this problem before but I would like to know if it is unique to Toca. My heads do not sit flat on the drum when loose. (They are Traditional Series.) All three drums are like this. The head will wobble on the drum. The drum will sit flat, upside down, on a flat surface so I believe the drum shell is true. I tried to correct the problem by soaking the heads to soften them and then mounting them wet, but loosely tensioned, on the drum to dry. But the heads still came out the same. This leads me to believe that it is the rims that are not true. Is this a problem exclusive with Toca or has anyone else had this problem. I did not have this problem with my Aspires and I'm thinking this why I have trouble getting a consistently good tone from my drums. The Traditional Series is very reasonably priced; did I get what I paid for?
Michael S

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Jan 26, 2003 9:30 pm

I would think it is because of the inner hoop that the skin is wrapped around. If it is warped it will do that to the heads,make them "wobble". At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Michael S » Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:27 pm

You're right JC; if either the mounting hoop or the rim are out of plane, it will cause the head to mount unevenly. I think the test is to soak the head until it is soft and then place it on the drum to dry but WITHOUT putting the rim on. This should cause the head to form the shape of the drum shell as it dries.
Michael S

Return to Open Discussion