Brazilian congueros (Sergio Bore?)

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Simon B » Sun Oct 27, 2002 9:55 pm

Heard a CD today from 1995 by a Brazilian group, Tambores Urbanos - there seems to be no title though. The congas are fantastic - deadly technique, experimentation with different tunings, rat-a-tat quinto attacks. Although the sound is very Brazilian there is obviously a lot of Cuban influence - one of the tracks is called 'Rumbata'. Liner notes say all percussion is played by Sergio Bore, with additional congas by Don Chacal.

Anyone heard of these guys?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:19 pm

Yes ..I have met Chacal he was the one I replaced in the Sergio Mendes band in 1977. He was a great percussionist and we were good friends. We met years later in Rio he was playing around. He is a very popular conga/percussionist in Brasil. I have never heard of Bore.....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:01 pm

Hi guys, hope all is well! I have heard from Dom Chacal. He was part of Paul Simon's Rhythm of the Saints tour, and I believe he is on the famous Paul Simon video tape shooted at Central Park in New York. Brazilians adapted their "Atabaque" playing techniques to the tumbadora. Johnny, can you confirm? They use multiple combinations of bass, tip, open, and slap tones for their rhythms. They don't use much or at all, what we know as palm tip combinations. Other good Brazilians players to check out are: Jorge Alabe, Meia Note, Cassio Duarte, Paulihno da Costa, Duddu Tucci.

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio

http://www.rhythmweb.com/jorge

Edited By tamboricua on Oct. 27 2002 at 18:05
tamboricua

Postby twigg » Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:51 am

:) De Costa was featured on a video of " Lee Ritenour and Friends". Cool techniques to watch.

Twigg
twigg

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:01 pm

HI Guys ...Well Paulinho De Costa and Chacal are personal friends of mine and both are incredible percussionists. There styles differ greatly from the "typical" latin percussionist and approach the drums more melodically than rhythmically. though they are rich in 'traditional afro-brasilian" rhythms. They also play the Atabaques differently than congas, more open slaps and more palms. They incorporate more of the northern afro-brasilian rhythms that are famioliar with Bahia and other northern states....At your Srvice.. JC JOHNNY CONGA....PS NOBODY CAN PLAY A PANDIERO LIKE PAOLINHO DA COSTA....At age 18 he was the number one sambista in all of Brasil...... ;) HE is also on about 5,000 recorded albums as a percussionist in a 30 year period of recording in Los Angeles.
JohnnyConga

Postby Simon B » Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:27 pm

Wow - Paulino de Costa is a hero percussionist for me. What sort of projects is he involved with now JC?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby TresGolpes » Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:35 pm

I recently discovered a Brazilian conguero called Dudu Tucci. Initially I heard him first on the CD The Heart of Percussion. Then I ordered 3 of his CDs through Weltwunder records, evidently both him and other percussionist have been living in Germany where there is a lot of interest in percussion.

Dudu has an extremely clear + sharp style on the quinto, I highly recommend him since he brings a new twist to my usual expectations from the Afro Cuban drummer.

Perhaps the only criticism I have of these CDs is that Dudu plays all the instruments, one by one, recording them on a track and then playing with the track, thus adding 5-6 instruments to his one-man ensemble. It makes for a good percussion study, but this artificial aggregation of tracks lack the feel a band has when playing with each other.

Still, I highly recommend his CDs...
TresGolpes

Postby Simon B » Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:22 pm

Sounds interesting, TresGolpes. Is it pure percussion - i.e. no vocal, no bass (though both very percussive in their own way of course)? Are the rhythms/instruments quite Brazilian?

I had a quick look and have found Odudua for sale on the net.

Simon B
Simon B

Return to Open Discussion