Mongo's Health - Does anyone have any details?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby 120decibels » Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:23 pm

On February 1st, 2003, The following message was posted to another conga message board (yahoogroups):

"Please I ask all the conga club members to pray for Mongo Santamaria.

The Conga Club"

I assume that Mongo is having more health problems. Does anyone have any details? I'll keep him in my prayers....

Zach

Edited By 120decibels on Feb. 03 2003 at 11:24
120decibels

Postby tamboricua » Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:47 pm

Hi Zach and CongaForum, unfortunately "El Maestro", Ramón "Mongo" Santamaría is no longer with us. He did pass away early Saturday morning in Miami, Florida.

CongaForum member "Doctorumba" Dario, was a very close friend to "Mongo" and his family, perhaps he can give us more details about this very sad news.

"El Maestro", will be missed. I feel we should honor "Mongo's" legacy with a special tribute page here in the CongaForum. Are you there Congaman?

"Los tambores estan de luto"

Cordialmente,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on Feb. 03 2003 at 17:49
tamboricua

Postby RayBoogie » Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:48 pm

This is a sad day in the percussion community. He's one of the congueros that I try to emulate and he will definitely be missed.

I agree that CONGAFORUM should have a tribute to the Grand Master, Ramon "Mongo" Santamaria. Que va en Paz!
RayBoogie

Postby nanigo » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:14 pm

February 2, 2003

Jazz Musician Mongo Santamaria Dies in Miami

By REUTERS

Filed at 8:29 p.m. ET

MIAMI (Reuters) - Latin jazz musician Ramon ``Mongo'' Santamaria, a Cuban-born percussionist and bandleader known for his conga rhythms, has died in Miami at age 85, hospital and funeral home officials said on Sunday.

Santamaria died on Saturday at Baptist Hospital.

He was best known for his 1963 recording of Herbie Hancock's song ``Watermelon Man,'' which became his first Top 10 hit. In 1959, Santamaria penned ``Afro Blue,'' which quickly became a jazz standard covered by stars such as Count Basie and Dizzy Gillespie.

Born in Havana, Santamaria performed at Havana's famed Tropicana Club before moving to New York City in the early 1950s, touring with the Mambo Kings and performing with Tito Puente and Cal Tjader.

Santamaria recorded scores of albums in a career that spanned nearly 40 years, mixing rhythm and blues with jazz and hip-swaying conga. In 1977 he was awarded a Grammy for Best Latin Recording for his album ``Amancer.''

In recent years, he divided his time between Manhattan and Miami. He was to be buried on Monday at Woodlawn Park South Cemetery near Miami, a spokesman at the Caballero Rivero Woodlawn Funeral Home said.
nanigo

Postby Francesco in Paris » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:24 pm

I wish to express my sadness. I am new to the conga world, but a few months ago I was cooking while listening to his great music and decided to name the pasta-dish I improvised after his name: "Maccheroni alla Santamaria". His music had inspired my modest creativity.

Che riposi in pace per sempre e che la sua musica continui a ispirare tanti altri

Francesco
Francesco in Paris

Return to Open Discussion