How did Mongo influence you as a Conguero?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby RayBoogie » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:23 am

As everyone here in CongaForum knows, I'm a Cal Tjader fanatic. I have listened to Ray Barretto, Giovanni Hidalgo, Carlos "Patato" Valdez and Armando Peraza, but no one and I mean NO ONE "keeps in the pocket" like Mongo (he's not riff happy like other conguero). All the other percussionist listed are Master's in their own right, but Mongo really put accent to his drumming style. As stated in articles and reviews about the man himself, more congueros try to emulate his style of drumming than any other conguero in the world.

Let's not get into his bongo playing. As JC stated in one of the other posts, he has the loudest slaps in thebusiness, "and that's no lie".

I wish I had the opportunity to see Mongo perform, but Thank GOD I have a lot his cd's and I could always hear the Master conjured magic on those congas.

Everytime I listen to Cal Tjader's tracks I disect his drumming and try to mimic what I hear. It take a while to perfect the style, but when I got it down, there's no bigger thrill to me. I hope I don't sound wishy washy, but the man had a enormous impact on me as a percussionist.

Thank you Mongo for your ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE!
RayBoogie

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:11 am

I could probably write a book on my "adopted Godfather" of the drum that I play today. I saw him probably with his strongest band ever. Carmelo Garcia on Drum set/timbales,Victor Venegas on Bass,Hubert Laws, Pat Patrick-saxes/flutes,Marty Sheller on trumpet,Rodger Grant on piano, and Mongo downfront at Carnegie Hall in 1965. I was just 17. I went there with 5 friends of mine and we all bought our tickets at the ticket window,but little did I know, how much that would change my life ,forever. As we went inside Carnegie Hall,which is incredible atmosphere and history abounds. All my boys were finding there seats but I couldn't find mine. My friends were all sitting the 4 row from the back ,bottem center. I went up to the usher and he said "Follow me!". He led me to the 2nd seat in the front row.-DESTINY!...I came out of that place so high and excited by what I had exerienced it was then at that moment everything changed for me. As we were exiting Carnegie Hall I turned to my boys and said "your gonna see me play here one day!".....I performed in Carnegie Hall in 1977 with Sergio Mendes and Brasil 77. and all my boys were there! That is what Mongo did to me, I loved him like the humble son I wanted to be for him. We had a great relationship and am Honored to have known him and share the stage with him. MONGO LIVES!............JC JOHNNY CONGA
JohnnyConga

Postby REQUINTOFUNK » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:23 am

May Ramon Mongo Santamaria rest in peace...........but it is a shame that the congueros who are famous and recognized because of him were not at his funeral.............they know who they are,which is all of them. He made the drum what it is today. But the man was a beautiful person besides anything else. He had 6 children from different women but not once turn his back or treat one different from another.....he was a humble generous man, who byt the way, gave me a set of his personal drums dedicated to me and this is a plan that is set now for life................Mongo,thank you for your beautiful heart and soul,your humble ways, and your positive fusing message from the drum and music.....we the Lopez family miss you dearly and will always be in our hearts and soul........granted as we grew up with your music and your consejos......mua te quiero mucho.......
REQUINTOFUNK

Postby muddy323 » Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:26 pm

Thanks Mongo, for all the great music, solo's, concerts. I got most of my chops from Mongo. His records were the 1st solos i tried to copy, I remember seeing Mongo,Bobo & Tjader at latin jazz concerts at the Concert By The Sea in Redondo Beach, Ca and The Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach in the late 60's or early 70's. I was still in High school, sneakin in clubs, that when I discovered percussions and put bass clarinet on the back burner. I'm still playing those same drums that i brought in 1976 and those Gonbop's have given me so much pleasure, still today! I still remember those shows at The Playboy Jazz Festivals Mongo with Elrey and Poncho. My all time favorite song by Mongo is Las Guajiras on Via Mongo.....Thanks Mongo

Edited by muddy323 on Feb. 05 2003,17:20
muddy323

Postby muddy323 » Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:37 pm

Remember Mongo at the Blackhawk. This is a classic. Mongo was pure afro sound that gave me hope that i could be a conquero in a band that play music that i have loved. All the Mongo solos i have copied that made me sound like a winner. Mongo shown me that i need sound 1st before technique. Once i understood the differents sound i could make from a drum, then i started working on technique more, once i put them both together KABOOM. It sound so good after 26 years of playing congas.... It started with MONGO

Edited By muddy323 on Feb. 11 2003 at 21:50
muddy323

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:27 am

Hey here's an idea,why don't we put out a search for any video on Mongo from around the country. I know he was videotaped and did numerous television shows. What ever we find we can make copies for each other. What do you think forum? So I think the question is . Does anybody have a videos of Mongo in concert.? there is the Fania All-
star video Live at Yankee
Stadium 1974. I was there that night too, in the Bronx at Yankee Stadium listening to Mongo and Ray B. have a conga duel that drove the 40,000 people in the stadium wild to the point they jumped into the field area.(The stage was on 2nd base). and created a minor riot. But the drumming went on. You can hear that duel on record also.......At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby KingKongas » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:27 am

Excellent idea! Unfortunately I have no video of Mongo to share with the forum. However, I've been trying to compile a picture file of Mongo. I have lots of his CDs as I'm sure alot of you have out there. The old pics are worth their weight in gold! When you consider the time in the "old days" and what it must of been like for everyone back then. I love to see old photos of "esos tiempos". I too am from the Bronx and grew up listening to Barretto, mostly, Milton Cardona, Francisco Aguabella, Patato, etc. But I can vividly remember playing Mongo on LP (warped and all) on the phonograph and thinking that this guy is awesome. I heard about 90 Mongo songs the other night in tribute to Mongo and I felt good about it! Let's join resources and put together a Mongo thing!

PS. I didnt attend the Yankee Stadium battle of the congueros but have heard the album so many times it aint funny. I do like Barretto, dont get me wrong, but Mongo smoked Barretto that nite in my opinion. Mongo bought out some serious shit from the homeland and Barretto was overmatched that special nite.

PSS. I dedicated tonite's percussion class to Mongo!
KingKongas

Postby RayBoogie » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:57 am

I agree, getting video's of Mongo would be an excellent idea. Yet, I have none to offer. I did see small clips of that performance of Mongo and Ray Barretto. Did Mongo really SMOKE Ray Barretto? I will see if I can get that "BATTLE OF THE CONGUEROS" at Yankee Stadium!

Hey Requinto, Poncho Sanchez didn't even show up to Mongo's funeral?? That would be a total shame, if it wasn't for Mongo there would not be a Poncho Sanchez!!
RayBoogie

Postby KingKongas » Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:09 am

Well... I've always felt that there are many more drummers than the ones we commercially know... BUT you have to give the props to the ones who we have heard of and gave us our inspiration. In that vein... Let us not forget Chano Pozo! Other congueros that have played that we may not have "heard of" are too numerous to mention.

I've heard of a Mongo and Tito Puente cut (both in their PRIME) with incredible percussion. I believe it's from a CD called "Top Percussion" but please dont hold me to it. It's either "Ti Mon Bo" or "Mon Ti"... remember they used to shorten their names to title a song... The first one might be "tito mongo "willie bobo" but I'm just guessing... the second one might be "Mongo and Tito"....
KingKongas

Postby Simon B » Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:11 am

Fascinating reading, guys. What is the actual title of that Fania All-Stars CD with Mongo duelling Ray?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:55 pm

THE TITLE IS "lIVE AT YANKEE STADIUM 1974".... I couldn't make the funeral either as I have just moved from Miami to Seattle WA. So I was beside myself not being able to make it. But my boys Daniel Ponce and some others played rumba at his gravesite and a friend of mine put a small drum that i had given her in Mongos hand for me in his coffin so a piece of me went with him. That made me feel better not being able to be there. But a lot of musicians sent flowers or called, if they couldn't make it. Ray was one of them. Of course even Ray Baretto was influenced by Mongo,he actually took Mongo's place in Puente's band after Mongo and Willie left to play with Cal Tjader. Puente in Percussion-Top Percussion- and Tambo are the best of Puente's percussion music. TiMonBo is Tito Mongo and Bobo....Top percussion has Patato added to it. .........MONGO LIVES!.......JC JOHNNY CONGA ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby KingKongas » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:07 pm

The name of the album is Fania All Stars, Live at Yankee Stadium. There is a Vol. 1 and a Vol. 2. I'm almost sure the duel is in Vol. 2.
KingKongas

Postby Doctorumba » Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:42 pm

JC,que pasa hermano,soy yo Dario. I got videos of Mongo,you know that.I got the one at Yankee Stadium with Ray.Ray is my good friend as well but that night Mongo kicked -ass like always,Manu Dubango was there and he almost fell off the stage due to Mongo's slaps.I have a video of his carrer as well done in Boston about 15 yers ago.I also have one with him and the band featuring Tito Puente on timbales and Max Roach on drums,again Mongo ate them alive on Afro Blue.There are some great ones but Don Ramon will live for ever,"el tapao mas salvaje del mundo".I was there in the hospital and in the funeral and was the only non family pole bearer.Daniel Ponce "metio tremenda rumba in an imotional farewell. Saludos, Dario
Doctorumba

Return to Open Discussion