Breaking into the Latin scene - Hints, tips, etc.  HELP?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby 120decibels » Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:13 pm

I was motivated by a post by RayBoogie to start a new discussion topic. I think that there are a lot of people who, like Ray and I, have really had a lot of trouble getting into the Latin Jazz scene where we live. Can anyone else offer experiences or suggestions that might help?

My own experience: I am a classically trained percussionist who spent many years playing in all kinds of bands from Rock to Jazz to Scottish Bagpipe bands. I fell in love with Latin jazz and latin percussion in college, but never really spent the time an money it took to learn it.

Finally, two years ago, I realized that I was a "jack of all trades but master of none." I decided to really study latin percussion and make it my focus for a while. I found an excellent teacher and really started practicing and learning.

Now I'm ready to play. I've found that from my experiences in rock, blues and other more "poppy" styles I can find those opportunities pretty easily. However, finding Latin jazz opportunities has been much harder.

I've been lucky in that my teacher lets me sit in with his band, Rumba Club, on occasion. However, I've been really struggling to work my way in to the scene. Sam (my teacher) says, "Keep practicing, keep sitting in, visit some clubs, ask to sit in, etc." This is a tough road. I'm frustrated :( but I haven't lost hope :D .

Any suggestions?

Zach
120decibels

Postby Simon B » Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:42 pm

If you are really working at it and feel ready yet can't get in, then form your own group. That's what I did. Although it's probably easier for me because there is no notable Latin Jazz in my city, i.e. proper Latin Jazz (as opposed to a jazz band playing Latin standards), just Salsa. I'm doing a Latin Jazz veering sometimes into Latin Funk project called Tambour y Bacho, and other good musicians from the salsa scene are keen to work with it because for them its a bit different. Suits me!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby RayBoogie » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:10 am

120deci, thanks for bring this topic up. I've been meaning to, but everytime I'm about to their's always a good discussion I must reply. Thanks again 120deci!
RayBoogie

Postby 120decibels » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:35 pm

Starting my own group is an option. However, that option is also full of challenges. Finding the right instrumentation, finding people with similar desires and goals, etc. can really be frustrating. I've considered this option, but I haven't explored it much.

Thanks Simon!

Zach
120decibels

Postby RayBoogie » Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:54 am

I believe that in order for a person to have their own band, they should know the industry a little. As far as, certain venues that will expose you to the right people, negotiating pay, a spot for rehearsing, etc. It's very involved, especially for a rookie like me. All I want to do is play Latin Jazz.

Hey 120, do you reside in New York??
RayBoogie

Postby 120decibels » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:18 pm

Ray,

No, I'm in Washington, D.C.. From what I understand, the scene here is both smaller and less complicated than that of NYC. However, in some ways, that makes things more difficult.

Zach
120decibels

Postby RayBoogie » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:58 am

I agree totally!! Best of luck :D
RayBoogie

Postby Raymond » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:26 am

A way to try to "break into a playing scene" is to befriend some of the people in the scene, specially another percussionist. (Yes...you might be competing with the guy for gigs but the guy could recommend for gigs also. If you have not been seen, established musicians tend to be very skeptic with guys who claim they could play unless they have heard about you. So...the best way is to meet some of the guys and let them see you play either by jamming with them or showing them discreetly "your stuff." Participate in "jam sessions", rumbas, impromptu gatherings, etc. In Rome you have to do and be where the Romans are...

I noticed you are a trained percussionist..are you of latin descendancy? What is knowledge of all the latin rhythms? A bad way to start in a latin scene is to get a gig that you cannot do everything right and/or people do not feel comfortable with you and the next thing you know they do not call you back again. That "bad word" could not get you anything else for awhile until you show otherwise. Also, how good are you at soloing? Latin jazz allows itself for lots of solos. Not all great percussionists are great soloists or feel comfortable doing lots of solos in one of the percussion instruments or all of them. (Some people will question this but is true....not everybody likes soloing or loves to be soloing all the time).

Latin scenes are "pressure cookers" for some people...not easy. If you really want it go for it....Good luck!
Raymond

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:02 pm

yO 120...LET'S GET SAM IN ON THIS FORUM.. I know he could add a lot to this forum with his experience.....JC JOHNNY CONGA..... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby 120decibels » Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:13 pm

Johnny,

I'd love to. I don't know how much access he has to a computer, though. I know he doesn't have one at his place.

That being said, it's tough to find a more experienced guy out there. I'll give it a shot and see what he thinks.

Zach
120decibels

Return to Open Discussion