Electric explorations - Miles Davis style

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Michael S » Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:03 pm

OK, here's my idea: I play Toca Traditionals which I like for the warm, unique sound of their bison heads. However, I consider them "acoustic" instruments, not very loud or cutting and great for doing small group percussion. What I'm thinking of doing is miking all three drums (using Audix D2's), maybe putting them on the Toca sit-down stands, running all three mikes through a mixer, and then experimenting with different signal processors, starting with a wah-wah pedal. I'm thinking the stands (I play seated) would be necessary in order to facilitate the foot switches required. This would allow me to really explore some new musical ideas and genres.
Anybody try something like this? I'd be interested to here results, not critical opinion of what is or is not good music.
Michael S

Postby Michael S » Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:57 pm

On this the Forum disappoints me. You know, there is life beyond latin.
Michael S

Postby muddy323 » Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:17 pm

Let me how this sounds with the wah-wah...i cant imagine how this would sound...I have used a reverb and Alexis echoplex with congas and other percussions
muddy323

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:52 am

Mtume the percussionist back in 1975 used 3 barkus berry pick ups, one on the top of each head and ran it through an echoplex with a mutron bi-faser....He would play a guaguanco figure and loop it through the echoplex and step on a button and begin to solo on top of his own guaguanco being looped.....Nobody has done that since,and make it work like Mtume did.(Mtume is famous for playing with Miles Davis and other artists), also Manolo Badrena has experimented with a similar setup for his congas and timbales......At your Service, JC JOHNNY CONGA..... ;) MONGO LIVES!
JohnnyConga

Postby Michael S » Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:41 pm

All right! Thanks guys. I've already gone the first step by jamming with some friends in aan Acid Jazz/fusion band and the guitar player and I are excited about processing the congas sound.
Thanks JC; I'm familiar with Mtume and Davis' work. He also used a sister conguero whose name escapes me at the moment. I believe she was Belgian or Dutch. Also, he worked a lot with Paulino (spelling?).
Michael S

Return to Open Discussion