Eddie Palmieri

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Michael S » Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:31 pm

Hey Johnny Conga, thanks to your recommendations I finally purchased a cd by Eddie Palmieri, entitled Palmas. IMHO, it is excellent, senor. Muchas Gracias.
Michael S

Postby Michael S » Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:52 pm

One of the interesting sections of the Palmas album is the kit drum solo on Mare Nostrum. The drummer solos as if he is both a conguero and a timbalero. Latin Jazz separates the men from the boys in jazz drumming.
If anyone is familiar with the album, can you tell me if the tune "Bouncer" is in the songo style?
Michael S

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:36 am

yOUR wELCOME...try and score Eddie's classic album "Azucar pa' Ti ..it was number one in NY when it came out. A Great dance tune and one of the first to go beyond the 5 minute mark for radio play. It's 8 minutes. Check out Tommy Lopez on congas!! Manny Oquendo on timbal. Barry Rogers on trombone.....At your Service..JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:58 am

Forgot my other 2 favorite Eddie P's....Mambo con Conga=Mozambique and Molasses. Eddie's experimentaion with the Mozambique(carnival)rhythm. Tommy and Manny are Awesome on these especially...At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby benbaboon » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:30 am

Great recommendation Johnny.... If you want more after that, I'd go for "palo pa' rumba" and "live at the u of pr" .... if you're on a budget "lo mejor" is a superb sampler for the recommendations above (both mine and Johnny's).
benbaboon

Postby Michael S » Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:39 am

Thanks amigos!
Michael S

Postby yoni » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:18 am

Hi all,

Here's some of my favorite Palmieri albums:

"Unfinished Masterpiece" - there's a tune on it called "Cobarde" that is absolutely wild. My first time hearing Eddie was this tune and it's a milestone for me. Mind you, this is from his psychedelic era. A little earlier was "Superimposition" and there's a jam on there, "Chocolate Ice Cream" that cooks like nobody's business.

"Solito" is a classic from the '80s.

"LaVerdad" (The Truth) is great and has Giovanni blowing.

"Sueno" is also great, on this one Eddie softened up the sound a bit and there's some beautiful stuff.

"Vortex" is a more recent one that rocks - Richie Flores plays on it, among others.
yoni

Return to Open Discussion