Talking about death ... - Several threads talking about death

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Michael S » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:48 pm

One other thing; anyone who thinks congas are limited to Latin, what would the Stones' "Sympathy For The Devil" sound like without that very simple tumbao, played at double time? I've tried the same effect on The Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth" and it sounds nice. I've noticed that a lot of pop or rock music uses the tumbao played at double time.
Michael S

Postby Simon B » Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:44 pm

Good to know the fire still burns in the Forum. I know I'm guilty myself in having slacked off in postings. Yeah, soul, funk and R&B conga styles are in my opinion a major part of moden conga history and interpretation. Sometimes Latinos extending their arm -Ray Barretto appeared on many funk-fusion recordings, for example Billy Cobham's spectrum (Le Lis - beautiful pattern, I've stolen that for many a slow groover). More often than not Afro-Americans learning from Latin traditions and playing it their way - check out the Grover Washington percussionists - Leanord 'Doc' Gibbs Jnr and in particular Ralph Macdonald. I'm compiling a mental R&B conga rhythm cookbook - JC, you have a lot to shed on this chapter don't you, from work in the disco and funk eras?

Simon B

Long live the Foum!
Simon B

Postby Michael S » Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:52 pm

Hey Simon, what's the Le Lis? I overwork the bolero on slow jams and would love to know of a new pattern for them. I'll swap you for the pattern to "What's Goin' On", but you may already know that one.
Michael S

Postby Simon B » Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:40 pm

OK Michael - here goes my rendition of Barretto's pattern on Cobham's 'Le Lis'. I really like this one - it stands out a mile - closest relative is a Patato tumbou I would think. Probably wouldn't groove on a bolero but on a slow but peppy soul/funk number it's great:

Basic rhythm

O M S T T M S O / T M S O T M O
O

O S S T T M S O / T M S O T M O
O

/ - End of measure
O - open
M - muffled (in this rhythm I play the muffled as a kind of flat left-hand slap not letting any tone escape as with a normal muffled stroke)
S - closed slap
T - touch

No heel-toe, start with the right and alternate. Work a third conga in when going down at the end of the measure if you like.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:31 pm

Actually Simon I was one of the earlier latinos that crossed over to R and B and funk. Yea Ray b was the leader having been the Blue Note percussionist for all those BN recordings he did. Then there was "Master" Henry Gibson,from the Curtis Mayfield group, monster player, also my first Jimbe teacher R>I>P. Ritchie "Pablo" Landrum,my man Doc Gibbs who is still around jammin. Steve Thornton, who now resides in Malaysia. The late Great and personal buddy of mine for many years,Hector "Bucky" Andrade. Ralph MacDonald,Carlos Martin alias Carlos Martinez who recorded on "Vicky Sue Robinson's "Turn the Beat Around". At one time Carlos had 8 different recording studio contracts in New York City. He was robbed at gunpoint after leaving a session and shot dead in the street. Another good buddy of mine Mr. Ray Armando. Still playing and living on the west coast. I got plenty of stories to tell....maybe too many huh?.....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA...FORMALLY with B.T Express The Soul Psychedelics. the AFro Directions, Fessor Funk and the Queens 8th St. Funk band were the top Funk and R and B bands I was in the Gloria Gaynor band for 2 years Disco conga is my invention,my claim to fame?????? OH NOOOOOOOOOO!...... ??? ???
JohnnyConga

Postby Simon B » Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:33 pm

Hi Johnny. You've mentioned your disco conga invention before. Do you mean that kind of on-the-one shortened tumbou, like P S P OO that you hear on so many of the records?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:59 am

Let me see if I can put this down..DISCO CONGA...

tts tts tts ttsstts//
rlr lrl rlr lrlrlrl/repeat every other measure..this is set to 125 beats per minute.
TTS is repeated over and over as many times as you want and add TTSSTTS at different intervals to break up the pattern...u got It?.....At your Service...JC JOHNNYCONGA.. ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Simon B » Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:51 pm

Thanks JC. Assuming those strokes are all the same length of time the rhythm sounds quite Brazilian to me, more syncopated than I thought it might be.

Simon B
Simon B

Previous

Return to Open Discussion