Congas & Timbales to Rock N Roll - Give me your views.

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby LatinSol » Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:52 am

In talking to someone about some influencial players who have brought the Conga and Timbale to the Rock N Roll crossover, We discussed of course Michael Carrabello and Chepito Areas but also mentioned Rebop Kwakubah of the band Traffic and the conga player who was with the Allman Brothers for years. Has anyone got any others you can think of, please post your list. :D
LatinSol

Postby tamboricua » Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:12 am

LatinSol wrote:In talking to someone about some influencial players who have brought the Conga and Timbale to the Rock N Roll crossover, We discussed of course Michael Carrabello and Chepito Areas but also mentioned Rebop Kwakubah of the band Traffic and the conga player who was with the Allman Brothers for years. Has anyone got any others you can think of, please post your list. :D

Armando Peraza and Orestes Vilató, and of course Raul Rekow and Karl Perazzo.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby 120decibels » Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:15 pm

Vaya Jorge! Those would have been my picks, too.

Peraza, Vitalo, Perazzo, and Rekow have been at the forefront of bringing Latin percussion into the top 40 scene.

It's an interesting topic. There are those who have also brought Latin rhythms and other ethnic rhythms into pop music using drum kit. Omar Hakim, Zakir Hussien, Trilok Gurtu, Airto, David Garabaldi, and possibily the most infuential, Mickey Hart.

My $0.02,

Zach
120decibels

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:54 pm

Hi. Do not forget Ray Barretto who recorded with myriads of rock, r/b, jazz bands. A very influential conguero. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:10 pm

WEll yours truly,Master Henry Gibson, Jody Linscott,Marc Quinones,Milton Cardona(talking Heads),Mayra Casales,Susan Hadjapoulos(Joe Jackson), a former student of mine,The late great Carlos Martin(VickySueRobinson-"Turn the Beat around") just to name a few that I know of....JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby TresGolpes » Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:05 pm

In the mid to late 60's both Ray Barreto and Mongo Santamaria did an incursion into the mainstream world with such hits as "Cloud Nine", "Acid", "El Watusi" and even "Sitting in the Dock of the Bay"...In those days the Boogaloo was pretty hot...

Remember the yellow album of Mongo Santamaria with all this kind of music ? How about "Wild Thing" by Armando Peraza.
TresGolpes

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:08 pm

Hi. What about Mongo with "Watermelon Man"! :D
RitmoBoricua

Postby tamboricua » Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:01 pm

From Cuba groups Sintesis and Mezcla, do a very nice job combining Afrocuban percussion and chants with Rock and other styles. Check them out!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:17 pm

Here are more for ya...Mingo Lewis-Lenny Castro-Steve Thornton-Lee Pastora-Doc Gibbs-Derf Reklaw Rahim-Ralph MacDonald-Paulinho da Costa........JC JOHNNY CONGA ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Mike » Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:25 pm

Hi everybody,
there are really good Latin rock congueros such as those from BLOQUE (Colombia) or Maná (Mexico) and dozens of still unknown players...
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Michael S » Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:28 pm

I can't believe no one mentioned Willie Bobo! :0
Nor Papa Dee Allen with War.
Michael S

Postby RayBoogie » Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:18 am

You must put down Ray Turull my former teacher. He has played several Latin Jazz groups, he also has played with "Sonsublime" a charaga group and now his new project is with this Latin Rock group called "Rumba Fiesta". They are getting airplay in MTV Latino. Vaya Ray! :D
RayBoogie

Return to Open Discussion