Best Rumba recordings - What are your favorite rumba artists ?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby TresGolpes » Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:51 pm

Yes I have that album, its one of the "garage ones".

When the first list was developed, I went through all my CDs and some of the vinyl I had in the living room. It is very hard to go backwards in time and account for every important vinyl that has been published, Justi Barreto and Virgilio are just two example, there are many more.

For example, in the garage I found:

Old Patato instructional Vinyl from LP on all the rhythms as a percussion study...This is an EXCELLENTE album.

Old Patato Bata Y Rumba Vinyl LP, very good also

Katherine Dunham Caribean Dance album, featuring Julito Collazo and Patato, this one goes back to the mid 1950's. Has a lot of Haitian rhythms as well.

The original Drums and Chants from Mongo, this is available in CD now, THIS IS ONE OF THE ALL TIME BEST ALBUMS.

Wilfrido Vargas - El Africano, also Johnny Ventura big collection of Merenge albums.

Los Papines - the old grey vinyl albums, the best they have ever done. ANOTHER OF ALL TIME BEST ALBUMS.

El Grupo Experimental Neuyorquino - Got these in Vinyl, they are available in CD format now.

Alberto Zayas albums. The Afro Frenetico vinyl, there is nothing better beyond this one, they have him on the El Melodioso CD now, another must have.

The White AfroCuban Egrem collection, there are 7 of these on the different genres of AfroCuban culture: Tambor Yuka, Iyesa, Bembe, Tumba Francesa. There are also Lyrichord albums with the Cult Music from Cuba stuff going back to the 1940's. There is the Chano Pozo CD set with a booklet that details his life, some of the quality of the recordings is sub-par.

So inevitably something will be forgotten in these lists, if anyone has special artists, please include them in this thread, I already benefited from the suggestion of the Anthony Carrillo album

There are wonderful other sources for this kind of material, visit Martin Blais site and you will see the outstanding collection of resources he's got:

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~blais/public/santeriadb/albumr/index.html

If you all like, let's also discuss Rumba Videos. The best for me are:

Jerry Garcia and Milton Cardona video
The videos in the Congaplace store, specially the Giovanni Hidalgo/Changito set

The Jose Garcia videos (orishaproductions) are many, my favorites are:

AfroCuba - Rumba en la casa # 2
AfroCuba - Tarde en el Cabildo
Los Papines video
Munequitos - Baila Rumbero
Munequitos - Rumba en el Barrio (new one, ****)
Yoruba Andabo (new one, ****)

All these videos are very short (24-29 minutes) and cost 25.00, nevertheless they are very good and you get the feeling that you are in Cuba, watching these guys a few feet away.

Edited By TresGolpes on Mar. 12 2003 at 21:42
TresGolpes

Postby benbaboon » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:01 pm

I have a real clean copy of the virgilio marti LP guaguanco put onto a CD.

I'm looking for a decent quality recording of Justi Baretto's Guaguanco 69, which I never heard but heard so much about.

I'm also looking for the Los Papines Commemoration Album...at least the song "Si No Bolero" has to be in decent quality.... my copy is too scratched.

These two I've been hunting down forever now....

And TresGolpes also got my curiosity going as far as Albert Zayas's Afro-Frenetic (is it very different frome the "el Melodioso" CD)?

Any or all of these three gets you a copy of the Guaguanco CD.... any willing traders out there?
benbaboon

Postby benbaboon » Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:52 am

Hey, I hope i didn't offend any professional musicians here.... I don't like pirating, and be sure I'll head to the music store to replace my adhoc recordings as soon as the copyright owner has the sense to rerelease these obviously sellable albums. :D
benbaboon

Postby TresGolpes » Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:44 pm

The Afro Frenetic album is typical of the Latin Albums of 40 years ago:

A beautiful Mulatta in the cover, showing lots of hips and thighs, the Guanganco 69 has another babe like that...in those days I will buy the album just because of the hot cover !

In any case, Alberto Zayas did a lot of music in the 1950's, the Afro Frenetic album has a lot of rhythms that are not so prevalent today: Makuta, Oriza and so on. In those days, like the Cachao descarga series, the Bongo was on equal footing as the conga, some of those solos I have never heard since then. The quinto player in this album is completely out of this world, extremely crisp and forceful. I have been listening to this album for some 30 years now and everytime it sends chills up my spine. I can tack on the Latino Voodoo album which is in equal footing with Afro Frenetico.

The El Melodioso album is strictly rumbas, a young Carlos Embale appears in some of the songs. It is another of those 1950's albums when I was a young boy in Havana that brings back memories of the essence of Cuba.

The Papines did a lot of stuff that sounded like this in the early 1970's, much better than they sounded in the last 20 years. Back then they will play more and clown around less on stage, but still, last time I saw them for 4 straight hours it was a nostalgic experience. Alfredo was really the heart of that group, his Tumbaos where the central core of everything that what was going on...Papin, of course, will descend on the quinto with such vigor that will take your attention away momentarily, but Alfredo, Oh Alfredo we are going to miss you...that night was extremely weird...Kareem Abdul Jabbar was in the audience and Papin brought him on stage to play quinto...it was surreal, could have never imagined Kareem (who is a great fan of AfroCuban music and plays congas in his house) flailing away and clowning around with the Papines.

Back to the old albums, the original Totico y sus Rumberos I have seen on CDs now, as well as the old Cortijo albums. The Chano Pozo albums are good for historical reasons but in many the sound quality is very poor.

The closest you will get to that old sound is AfroCuba de Matanzas, that Minini is something else...some of the really old Fania All Stars from the 1970's is also like that. There is a group called Roncos del Puerto that appears in the Real Rumba from Cuba compilation CD that is extremely authentic.

Other rare albums that I have seen on sale on the Internet are the Djembe ones, for example Africa Djole (****) and Ladji Camara Africa New York. Realize that I AM NOT that fond of Djembes (the music many times is flat and uninteresting). But with Ladji, in my opinion, is one of the best drummers in the Universe, his story is a very interesting one: his mother had a vision in the 1930's that she will give birth to the ultimate master drummer...and sure enough 9 months later this young boy was born. In his crib they put a cowbell and a stick...at 3 months of age the boy was banging away at the cowbell...he is still alive and has taught in NY for many years...this guy in person is beyond comprehension, such clarity, speed, feeling...indescribable. His licks are very similar than quinto licks (unlike Djembe licks which are very "roll" oriented). Ladji also appears in the Drums of Passion album of Olatunji, on a later album Ray Barreto is in there with all the africans...

But having said all this, all the old albums, there are many albums today that have climbed to my favorites:

Yoruba Andabo - El Callejon de los rumberos
Afrekete
Farinas - Ecue, Cajon de Muerto
Acuarela de Tambores - haven't mentioned this one, Alex Acuna, Giovanni Hidalgo and many others.
Drum Jam IS THE BEST !!!
House of Drums - Rumbas peppered with electronic music, ANOTHER BEST...
Munequitos 50 aniversario - clearly the best work they have ever done.
La Rumba soy yo
La historia de la Rumba

Edited By TresGolpes on Mar. 14 2003 at 22:39
TresGolpes

Postby Simon B » Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:21 pm

Wow - I'm blown away by the knowledge and musical resources herein!

I love vinyl - where can I get some of these classic rumba recordings on-line and on record?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby TresGolpes » Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:10 pm

About the only thing I can do is record the vinyl on casette and mail it to you. I don't have the facility to burn CDs or upload to PCs. There is a lot of one of a kind stuff out there:

Just yesterday a friend gave me a video of Tata Guines with Los Papines in a massive rumba...actually Tata did not distinguish himself in this part of the tape , yet at another part he was doing a studio solo that was very impressive: playing with his nails, doing the chancleta heel-toe. He is still one of my old time favorites.

In any case, I have plenty of nostalgic stuff from the Los Carnavales de La Habana, and also Los Carnavales de Santiago (which are very different in style, that Trompeta China they play can be quite annoying at times !, no I correct myself, esa Trompeta annoys me ALL THE TIME).

The White Afro Cuban album series is absolutely wonderful, they have the Tambores Yuka from Pinar del Rio which are quite explosive. The old Cachao descargas are also wonderful. Cachao was in LA last week, he got a star in the Hollywood walk of fame, later there was a jam session in the Conga room.

I can make a cassette for anyone that wants one, send me an email with your address at [email]yyohimbe@yahoo.com.[/email]
TresGolpes

Postby TresGolpes » Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:49 pm

OK, OK !!

Thanks for your emails, I just love to blow people's minds with the glory of AfroCuban music...the only pleasure I will not get is watching you put on the headphones, lie back in the floor, turn on this music...and watch you go into convulsions...I GUARANTEE IT...

Now, one small disappointment: I don't have the facilities to make video copies, I only have one VCR and a double casette player, I am an old fashioned kind of guy. The Tata Guines/Papines tape is good, but Tata looks bored (as a matter of fact, at one point he was yawning, don't know why because everyone else where bouncing off the walls). In any event, I recommend instead the Orishaproductions tapes. That guy, Jose Garcia, called him in Denver about 6 months ago, wanted to buy the Yoruba Andabo tape. He tells "the tape I made was in a night club and the lighting was very poor, don't buy it because it doesn't meet my standards"...he tells me he was returning to Cuba to film some more and I could order the tape after that...so I wait, wait, wait...then I get the tape: Carajo ! this stuff is good !!! He actually takes Yoruba Andabo to a park in the daytime, puts them up there with cajones and all...and films them, all by himself, beautiful...

This is what I'll do: I'll tape AfroFrenetico, Latino Voodoo, Julito Collazo y su Guataca, a couple of descargas and carnaval music...then I'll tape Just like Magic (Patato y Tito Puente), Bata y Rumba (best recording of Patato), a 45 of Tata Guines called Chacata ya llego, and the ultimate in obscurity: Katherine Dunham drums of the Caribean featuring Julito and Patato, this stuff is older than mi abuelo...

The only known album I know from the 1950's that is on CD now is Tito Puente Top Percussion...Mongo, Julito, Francisco Aguabella, el viejo Macheche...order it and listen, you will come to the same conclusion that I have now: they don't make music like that any more...
TresGolpes

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:43 am

Vaya Tres Golpes ...I would be very interested to know more about the Julito Collazo album. I have one that was recorded in NEW YORK City back in the early 60,s but doesn't mention the group but you can make out Julitos voice. The album is music para Bembe. One conga 2 chekeres one bell and voice. The cover has a picture of the statue "Black Chango" and says Mansulu y su Haitianos....but it's a phony cover. What label is your copy on?.......JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:46 am

The word on Tata in that video with Los Papines is that Tata and Papine do not like each other. This is what I have been told from friends that know them............JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby TresGolpes » Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:24 pm

The Julito stuff I have is in several albums, they mostly look like "garage operations", I don't have a single album for Julito. The labels are: Mayte and Deluxe, I have a sneaking suspicion that they don't exist anymore.

This video I mentioned I was salivating on my way home to pop it into the VCR....the DREAM TEAM, I was thinking...then after watching it about 4 times my satisfaction level dropped to 20%, Tata was off to the left looking bored, Papin was mostly singing Belebe, Belebe, throwing two,three hard slaps and going back to the Belebe...on the other hand Alfredo, Luis, and Jesus where blasting away which everything they had...I will compare the performance of Tata and Papin like Mohammed Ali in his final years...still admired them but in this particular tape their spirits were somewhere else...very hard to write these words since I have been several times two feet away from this guys, individually, and their vigor permeated the whole room...so I guess that everyone has their off days.

And of course, when two supreme beings are together in the same room, their egos may stifle them, maybe that is what was going on.
TresGolpes

Postby quinto governor » Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:53 am

Swhoooo!Sounds like some awesome stuff! The favorite from my small collection is 'Raices Africanas' Groupo AfroCuba de Matanzas. The singing is the best I have heard so far, and there is a variety of rhythms represented on the one cd. I love Los Papines 'Oye Men Listen' is another favorite. There is nothing like the quinto playing on a Los Papines recording. Is that french that they sometimes sing in. Their sound is really distinct.
quinto governor

Postby TresGolpes » Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:56 pm

Yes AfroCuba is my #1 group, like them better than the Munequitos.

I don't think Los Papines "parlan frances"...I have that album on Vinyl (guess where...the garage of course), don't recall french on that album...I'll bet you it is Lucumi, but I will listen tonight and see...

By the way, the Anthony Carrillo CD, Mis Raices arrived in the mail....WOW...this was really something, really want to thank you guys for pointing out this "jewel in the rough"

Any other albums with heavy percussion that have not been mentioned in this thread so far ?

Edited By TresGolpes on Mar. 24 2003 at 17:57
TresGolpes

Postby TresGolpes » Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:00 pm

OK, Quinto Governor, so I went to the garage and found Oye Men, Listen Guaganco...

All the songs were in spanish except Eron Griefo which is an Abakua song with the chant:

Eron Griefo Juana Vaya Cocoyama

Mmmm...that is the closest we can get to French !

In any case, I was looking at the back cover of this album, they were advertising about 20 other albums, including the ultra famous song:

Los Hermanos Pinzones...
So, anybody remember these brothers...
"Los Hermanos Pinzones
Eran unos Mari-neros
Y viajaron con Colon
Que era un viejo Bu-canero...

Que se fueron a Calcuta
en busca de nuevas ... rutas.
Y los indios mochilones,
les cortaron la .... retirada.

Al piloto Pedro Angulo,
le quisieron dar por .... muerto"

My mother used to get so mad when we sang that song as children, it was totally forbidden to sing it in front of other adults, so me and my friends will sit there and Hum it

MM MM. MM-MM-M
MM-MM MM----doesn't sound good on this keyboard...

But for all of you from the islands, well.. you know what I mean !!

Maybe we should nominate Los Hermanos Pinzones the best song of ALL TIME !!

Or maybe this other Opus of Cuban music
Cuuuu-banito Cubanito ....

Edited By TresGolpes on Mar. 25 2003 at 17:38
TresGolpes

Postby quinto governor » Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:22 am

Sorry all! Was mistaken again. The song 'En La Cumbre' by Celeste Mendoza is what I was thinging of. For some reason I've always associated this song with Los Papines. Did she record this song with them? The singing style is just so different. I wondered if the singing was not spannish but french. Maybe because of some influence by the Haitian imigrants that I had heard about, coming to Cuba.
quinto governor

Postby TresGolpes » Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:12 pm

OK, Le Governor Quintour...French topics are not too popular these days, butt...this time Celeste is more current, I do have her songs on CDs and are NOT in the garage.

Celeste has sung many times with Los Papines, my favorite is Papa Oggun...I will go home and listen to La Cumbre and see if there is any Frances in there.

By the way, in Santiago de Cuba there is a musical style called Tumba Francesa which is played with these huge barrel like drums, sometimes during Carnaval. Also there is Voudoun influence from Haiti, those songs are in 2:2 rhythm very different than the rest of the provinces, as a matter of fact you only hear those rhythms in the Eastern part of the island. The Group Cutumba and also Folkloyuma play this style of music, very interesting.

On my way to listen to La Reina del Guaganco...
TresGolpes

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion