Best Wood/Congas & Stands

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Rich-N-HIM » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:44 pm

I still have alot to learn so thats why I am looking for advice. I am still looking to soon buy some top of the line congas and saw the LP Galaxy's in a catalog today. I believe they are called the "Giovanni series." They are made of Northern Ash and come with gold hardware. Has anyone out there had any expeirence with ASH Wood and what it sounds like compared to oak? Also I don't want to spend alot of time setting up if possible and was wondering about Basket type stands to place the congas in and if they would keep the drum from resonating as much as it could and not give a quality sound? How do they compare to the Hanging type conga stands? All comments are welcome. Thanks in advance, Rich.

Edited By Rich-N-HIM on Mar. 22 2003 at 12:54
"Drumming for JESUS"
Rich-N-HIM

Postby 120decibels » Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:24 pm

Rich,

I am not all that impressed with the LP Giovanni Series Galaxy congas. They sound good, but not great. They still suffer from inferior heads. I've seen the gold finish come off LP's gold hardware. Further, I find the ash to be ugly.

That being said, LP makes a good set of drums. I own the Classic series, and with my new cowhide heads they sound as good as any congas I've heard. Their shape gives them a different sound than some of the more "Cuban" style drums or the Valje shaped drums. However, I find their sound to be really full once you've conquered the thin and overtone-filled sound of the cheap water buffalo heads. I assume that the same would hold true for the Galaxy drums.

My recommendation stands from the the related topic that you posted. Look outside the mainstream. It's more effort, but it's worth it.

My $0.02,

Zach
120decibels

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:02 pm

Hi, I agree with Decibels. The Giovanni's too me are over-glorified LP congas. Kind of remind me when Michael Jordan was really hot in the 80's and 90's and Nike was selling his tennis shoes like hot cakes at some outrageous prices but in all reality they were like any other quality Nike shoe, the Jordan's was not going to make you jump any higher or play anybetter. Samething with the Giovanni's they will not make you any better player and perhaps you can get the same sound and quality for a much cheaper price. Ultimately is the player the one that makes the congas sound good. Rich, first you need to know what kind of sound you want and how much money you can afford, then get to know the intricacies of brands, materials, and sizes. Then you should be able to make an educated choice. Take Care

;)

Edited By RitmoBoricua on Mar. 21 2003 at 18:42
RitmoBoricua

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:28 pm

I completely agree with the two replies in every respect.
I´m REALLY looking forward to improve my LP Classics by putting on a decent skin (mule, cow).

As to recommendations: The most interesting conga I touched the other was the Bauer series (Brazil). A very special thing. Thin heads, but good sound plus light weight... Check it out....

Nice to read a lot of edifying posts after some while!
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby yoni » Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:01 pm

Hi all,
I think Ritmo is right on - it's ultimately the player that makes the congas sound good. A good player can make bad congas sound good and a bad player can make good congas sound bad.

My favorite congas were wood Gon Bops that I had for years - too bad the company is out of business (I think). I guess top of the line LP and Pearl congas are some of the best mass-produced ones now.

If you have access to cash and a true custom conga builder, you could end up with something real special.

Shapes and materials do color a drum's sound, but again, I think most of the sound is in the hands...

I like the basket stands when I use stands, but I often play "street style", no stands, the drums just sit on the floor. This gives less volume (turn up the mike, please!) and cuts out the bass end, but I find the tones sound more pure this way (less overtones). Like many, I just tip the quinto or conga at times when I want that open sound. Lots of times I can't be bothered to drag stands along with me.

But in a big band I often do prefer stands, giving more volume, so I don't have to "fight" for it.
yoni

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:03 am

If you don't want to spend too much money get a set of Matador congas. there reasonable and they sound good or go with the LP 28inch high "classic" fiberglass congas..I have had both, with no complaints....At your Service..JCJOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Rich-N-HIM » Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:30 am

Hi J.Conga, Thanks for your input. I still have not decided weather to go with Wood or Fiberglass. I don't mind spending the money but I really want the BEST quality sound I can find. What do you think? Wood or Fiberglass? Looking for full size drums and basket stands I suppose. I will most likely be putting Nu-Skins by Remo on so I don't have to de-tune after playing. All comments are welcome. Thanks, Rich.
"Drumming for JESUS"
Rich-N-HIM

Postby timo » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:35 am

If you really don't mind using money get something like MOPERC congas, (custom cubano series ####!!! handmade congas, moperc.com), or something, wood or fiberglass... it depends on the sound you want, i personally prefer wood. And i dont like Nu-skins either, but hey, thats just me.

On the subject of heads has anyone ever tried, or heard of anyone trying raindeer skin for congas, (even easier would be moose but unless its a drum with over 25inch diameter i think might bee too thick)? couse here up north i might be able to get some for fairly cheap..
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby Mike » Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:23 pm

Hi Timo,
sorry, I don´t have any experience with reindeer skin, but it sounds interesting. I guess some wildlife animals do well for drum skins. Anyway, as I´m going to visit friends in Finland (Fiskars) in the summer, could you tell me where you can get those skins. I´m thinking of improving my LP Classics, getting rid of the waterbuffs. Well, and and because I don´t have much money (the ferry from Germany over to Helsinki is xxxx expensive;-) your idea sounds pretty good...!
Thanks for your patience.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Rich-N-HIM » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:58 am

Hi Timo, Thanks for that MOPERC web site. Those drums really look great and I'm sure they sound as good as they look but I bet they cost an arm and a leg. Thanks again. Rich.
"Drumming for JESUS"
Rich-N-HIM

Postby timo » Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:18 am

yeah they do cost a lot, i think it was like 750 each,(ouch...),
but the i lost my price list, and also when i received th price list it had a discount if you bought them from michel..(and no i never ordered anything since i didn't have enough money , but i will once i do ;) )
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby timo » Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:20 am

by the way im very NOT sure about the price, now that i look at it so DON'T trust my memore the the price list for your selves... you get the catalogue too.. for free...
AXÉ

timo
timo

Return to Open Discussion