"Eh Sabu!"

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Simon B » Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:40 pm

My introduction to the sounds of Sabu Martinez was through Palo Congo - what an album, folkloric and fiery, Sabu fantastic on the drum, scorching quinto solos. Liner notes by a knowledgable-sounding writer called Hsio Wen Shih. I presume he is/was a Chinese-American music journalist. Listen to this lovely first sentence:

'The emotional kinship between the world of this recording and the world of jazz seems so strong at times that the distances between the worlds seems no wider than the pavement of West 54th Street which separates the Museum of Primitive Art from the Museum of Modern Art.'

But on Sabu - got three more albums on re-pressed vinyl the other day - Afro-Temple, In Orbit, and Astronauts de la Pachanga. I am bowled over. I know I am generally enthusiastic about Latin music but this stuff is mind-blowing. And Sabu himself - what am eccentric figure; on the back cover of Afro-Temple I mentioned he's dressed in cowboy gear and holding a camel amidst scrub-land! With tracks like 'Martin Cohen loves Latin Percussion' and 'All Camels Hump' you can't go wrong. But the music is far from ironic - no it's heavy, exotic, spiritual. Sabu himself gives us a spoken introduction on the first track - he has this incredible voice that sounds like a narrator from a 1950s film noir.

Some of you will own this material already and perhaps even have known him. Is the great Sabu Martinez still alive? Is he still living in Sweden, which the liner notes state that he is? What the #### is he doing now?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:04 pm

Unfortunatly Sabu passed some time ago. He was a left handed conga drummer. He was Puerto Rican and a very strong drummer,very loud. I have known people that had worked with him and they don't have any kind words for him. He messed around with drugs and it got him in trouble and he moved to Sweden in the late 60's. He also recorded over in Europe with the Kenny Clarke-Francis Boland Big Band,very nice stuff. Try and find Latin Kaleidescope by them it has been released on CD, Sabu is on it. He raised a family over there and had problems later in life with alcohol.....JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby Michael S » Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:04 pm

I've been listening to Palo Congo for several years now. It's nice to have this stuff reissued. I ran into a guitarist last year who was just beginning to study Afro-Cuban music because he stumbled upon a recording of Sabu, I believe it was Palo Congo. I thought it interesting: not Tito Puente, Mongo, Cal Tjader, Pancho Sanchez, (or even Ricky Ricardo) but Sabu Martinez turned him onto Latin.
Michael S

Postby Michael S » Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:10 pm

Hey JC, was that Kenny "Klook" Clarke that played with Miles Davis? I believe he became an expatriate living in Paris. He was an excellent player but I think had drug troubles of his own. That would be an interesting recording you mentioned; I'll look for it.
Michael S

Postby Simon B » Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:40 pm

If it was THE Klook then it was who many call the first be-bop jazz drummer, the man who freed up the kick drum to 'drop bombs'. I also heard that he had drug problems.

Oh no, Sabu... JC that background has put the Sabu persona in a new light, and not such a positive one. It's funny - I think when you really dig someone's music (or any art for that matter - it's the same for writers) you build in your mind what you feel is a personal bond with that person, you will them to be a certain type of person. Still, can't deny the music...

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:42 am

Yes Michael ..the same Kenny Clarke..as for Sabu's persona,I can name a few artists in my time that I've worked with that were complete assholes but if you heard their music u would dig it. Unfortunatly we have lost many great musicians to the effects of drugs and alcohol. The list is too long already. Live for the "gift" God gave you and respect it,you'll live longer for it.....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA...... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby RayBoogie » Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:46 pm

One of my favorite Sabu tracks is "FLAMENCO AIN'T BAD". Sabu drumming style flows thoughout the track (awesome). It's a shame of his drug problem, but that's how life is.
RayBoogie

Return to Open Discussion