'Breaking in' drums

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Simon B » Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:45 pm

To what extent do you think that congas, bongos, timbales, and other drums need 'breaking in' (assuming this expression refers to the initial tightness/stiffness that the instrument needs to get through to sound at its best, a bit like a new car being 'ran in')?

Three months ago I bought a pair of Bauer bongos. I've played them a fair bit and recently have become aware that the sound is much louder and crisper than was the case when they were brand new - much like the sound of top-level bongos that I was looking for.

I can't remember my Meinl congas changing in the same way - the quinto is perhaps a little sharper than it was at first.

What about timbales? I can't speak for how my Tocas have developed because I don't spend much time on them.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby 120decibels » Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:38 pm

Drums with skin heads will definitely "break in". The head will adjust to the stresses and strains of being stretched accross the drum. In my experience, new skin heads will sound very bright early on and then they mellow over time. As they settle, I think that the difference between mellow tones and tight slaps is more distinct that when the heads were new.

Some skins even become "dead". There have been a number of discussions on this forum about putting lard or lotion on a "dead" head to brighten up the sound.

Mylar heads like those on modern timbales are meant to withstand tuning and de-tuning without much change in sound. I haven't noticed a whole lot of "break in" on my timbales or drum set.

My $0.02,

Zach
120decibels

Postby yoni » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:54 pm

Here's my couple cents also: I figure the more you play them, the faster the heads break in. I find about 3 months to be about average, like you said, Simon B., for a skin head. I think synthetic heads can also be broken in but it takes longer. I have noticed differences after a while.

I also agree with your assessment of the brighter sound in the newer head, 120 decibels, and that they mellow after a time. Whatever, most drums do sound better to my ear after a while of playing them. I guess it's this way with all musical instruments, surely for guitar strings also.
yoni

Postby Raymond » Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:43 pm

Cowbells need also to break in. The mass produced, i.e, LP break in pretty quick. The handmade, such as JCRs, need a little bit more of break in. Personally, I keep my new bells and use them on rehearsals so I could break them in and/or in some live gigs. (These are the handhelds when bongo playing and the non handheld for timbales).

Obviously, natuaral Heads, need break in.

I am noticing a change of sound, or break in, in my "cascara" of my timbales.
Raymond

Return to Open Discussion