WHAT TYPE OF GUAGUANCO IS THIS???

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:50 pm

Well reality has set in now here in Seattle. I will have to bring the Rumba here and show them how it's done. But there are at least 5 cats here that have been to Cuba to study and they can play. The only thing they they lack to me is-energy and aggression, the 2 things you need if your going to play Rumba. I am only rehearsing with one band right now called "Afinque" a kinda Salsa-Jazz band. Also doing more teaching than playing at this time. Seattle is a beautiful city with lots of bands but they are not interested in "making it" so to speak. Very few of them actually are "professional" type bands. Lots of rock and jazz. Only one good latin band "Latin Expression" that have been here forever. I'm not getting the type of action I got when I first got here,everybody wanted a piece of me and then after that went back to their own conga players, it's a clique thing here and I'm not in any. I will start my own. I have created my perc. ensamble "Origens" that perform Afro-Caribbean rhythms. So that is the scam sam........give my best to Ray.....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby RayBoogie » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:25 am

Hey JC, hope everything is well. I believe I told you that Ray Turull is a Latin Rock band called "Rumba Fiesta". The band has a SANTANA feel to it and they sound awesome!!

As of me, I have a gig May 17th with the band that I'm in. Its a mixture of rock, r&b, blues, motown, funk and jazz. I'm really looking forward to it. Hasta la proxima hermano!

RayBoogie.
RayBoogie

Postby yoni » Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:46 am

Hi all,

Johnny, I only once passed thru Seattle, but I imagine there's no one there even close to where you're at on congas, so I guess everyone got a good "scare" hearing you, and went back to their regulars like you said. They don't want to be "up-staged", and the regular conga guys want to keep their gigs. Doing your own group sounds like the best thing in that kind of scene, good to hear you're doing it! I bet the NW US has enough cash and venues around to host a hot percussion ensemble, but starting out in a new place always takes time.

The "clique" thing - tell me about it! In some locales and nations they call it the "musical mafia" and it's often more "mafia" than "music". I also eventually began a perc. group here. We're getting more work, but I still must freelance with other groups and teach, though I much rather just play. This year I may be able to visit my folks in NYC in the summer (the only time of year I like the weather there). If so, I'm definitely checking out Willie's, the steakhouse you mentioned. That would be fun. Nothing like a shot of electricity from the old homefront.

All the best,
Yoni
yoni

Previous

Return to Open Discussion