Attacking the congas.

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby RayBoogie » Wed May 07, 2003 9:16 am

This phrase "ATTACKING THE CONGAS" has been mentioned several times in this forum. I believe I know what it means, but I want to get more feedback from you guy's.
RayBoogie

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed May 07, 2003 2:55 pm

2 things you need for playing congas...energy and aggression...that is what I call "attacking" the congas....You can't sit back and "tap" the congas you gotta "hit" them and hit them hard to be heard. I see that most of the drummers here in the Northwest are very learned and intellectualize the drum here, but they lack the "energy and aggression" it takes to play. so what good is it if you can play but can';t be heard? Can you imagine Los Munequitos without that energy and aggression? BORING ........At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA...... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby pini » Wed May 07, 2003 4:19 pm

Is "ATACKING" only goes with Congas ?

pini.
pini

Postby RayBoogie » Thu May 08, 2003 2:02 am

Pini, I don't think that's the case. I guess in any instrument you play their some form of attacking that instrument. I think so? ???
RayBoogie

Postby muddy323 » Thu May 08, 2003 5:31 am

I think you need to be tuff and tender on congas. You cant forget your sensitive side. Some good slappin wont hurt :D. Im into alot of polytechnic/rhythms that require a attack mode and a tenderly mode, cause NeoAfroLatinPfunk require aggressive and sensitivity ;)
muddy323

Postby yoni » Fri May 09, 2003 6:38 am

Hi all!

If I attack the congas too hard too long, they start to attack me back. I also like to mix it up in dynamics, like muddy said, depending on the mood, music and moment.

But I also don't like hearing congas "intellectualized", as Johnny said. Boring!!! Whether I play soft or hard, I like it best when it's all intuitive.

Playing soft, I can like the congas sounding almost like a wind instrument.

But playing hard, I wanna sound like something that just dropped out of a tree.

:0
yoni

Postby Simon B » Fri May 09, 2003 2:09 pm

I saw a very good percussionist in what I suppose was a kind of Latin-Jazz-Fusion combo the other night - all fabulous musicians. He was wonderful in his light touches, but what really annoyed me is that he seemed to pitter-patter congas and bongos all night, and that when he was playing rhythms or soloing didn't offer even one slap played with power or conviction. Yes every good player needs to know how to attack - it's not as though it's an instrument that can't take some beating!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri May 09, 2003 2:58 pm

Ok maybe i should be more specific...In Latin hand drumming you must be aggressive and energetic,but if your playing the type of west coast Pop or Jazz the style is light and airy...East coast is hard and west coast is easy going. Even in styles of music and approach to playing. Simon the cat you saw may have been good but not that good where you can't make out what he was doing and how bad he was doing it. But you actually picked up on it. You see there are all kinds of players but what you will learn is the ones that are "faking it to make" it versus the ones that can REALLY play. Remember nobody can really tell a conga player what to play unless they play the instrument themselves so there are a lot of cats out there getting away with a lot of bullshit.......At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby yoni » Fri May 09, 2003 3:46 pm

"... there are a lot of cats out there getting away with alot of bull...". (JC)

Definitely. Seen some guys doing fake slaps (used to call a slap a "pop", but haven't heard that word for a while). They fake it by holding the conga head with one hand and tapping the edge with the other - makes a high sound, but sure isn't the true "pop", which takes time and maybe even some pain to get down well.
yoni

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri May 09, 2003 3:55 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Remember nobody can really tell a conga player what to play unless they play the instrument themselves so there are a lot of cats out there getting away with a lot of bullshit.......

Hi. Did you ever have a keyboard player or non-percussionist in any particular band tell you are doing something wrong like you are "Cruzao" or something but they can not explain you exactly what it is or how to fix it, they just tell you, you are "cruzao" and that's it. It happened to me, in my heart of hearts I know if I tell somebody they are doing something wrong is because I can provide them with the know how to fix it. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri May 09, 2003 3:55 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Remember nobody can really tell a conga player what to play unless they play the instrument themselves so there are a lot of cats out there getting away with a lot of bullshit.......

Hi. Did you ever have a keyboard player or non-percussionist in any particular band tell you, you are doing something wrong like you are "Cruzao" or something but they can not explain you exactly what it is or how to fix it, they just tell you, you are "cruzao" and that's it. It happened to me, in my heart of hearts I know if I tell somebody they are doing something wrong is because I can provide them with the know how to fix it. :)

Edited By RitmoBoricua on May 09 2003 at 16:56
RitmoBoricua

Postby yoni » Fri May 09, 2003 4:32 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:Did you ever have a keyboard player or non-percussionist in any particular band tell you, you are doing something wrong like you are "Cruzao" or something but they can not explain you exactly what it is or how to fix it, they just tell you, you are "cruzao" and that's it.

If someone playing another instrument can't point out what he finds wrong with my playing, I might say:

"You worry about your instrument, I'll worry about mine."
yoni

Postby RayBoogie » Sat May 10, 2003 3:38 am

That would be a perfect response yoni. I'm fortunate that the band I'm in I never and I mean NEVER tell me what to do. They rely on me for the rhythm "point blank" with no questions.

Hey JC, I didn't think their was that much of a difference between West coast and East coast congueros? WOW, who would of known!!!
RayBoogie

Postby qualitydag » Tue May 13, 2003 2:12 am

There have been times when I tell folks that using only wrist technique on a conga drum doesn't really do it for me. I have allways needed to chop upon the head of a conga with a lot of intention. I'm kind of old fashioned about perfect technique as far as, I would rather hit the drums with my arms and shoulder throwing down the energy. It might not look as sweet as perfect wrist movement but it FEEEEEELS SO RIGHT.
I am interested in sharing my idea of attacking the drum in another way. Sometimes I feel emotional content and hit the drum with it, but I don't necesarily have to bang it real loud.
There isn't only one way to play with strength. One way for sure it to hit the drum with a lot of power, very loudly. Another way is to use intense emotional phrasing. This acquires great intention and stamina, however one does not need to be really loud to do that.
Neither way is better but both can be incorporated at any time.
It's like watching B.B. King play his guitar. Watch his face, watch his body when he hits those sweet notes. I gaurantee that he is attacking with intense emotion but not on his guitar is he using force to express it.

Attacking:
a. physically
b. emotionally

Now that's what I'm talkn bout.
qualitydag

Return to Open Discussion