Tumba/Quinto

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Tony » Wed May 28, 2003 7:23 pm

Hello everyone, thank you for a wonderful website. I've learned quite a bit, I'm a guitar player who is switching to drums, so I'm looking at getting my first set(I'm also looking for opeople ot jam with). My question is, would it really matter if I get a quinto and tumba, rather that and conga and tumba? I have found a very nice set of LP classics, but I'm a bit concerned about doing this right. The seller says that a lot of players are using quinot and tumba's if they're using two drums.

Thank you all!!!

Tony
MIA
Tony

Postby TresGolpes » Wed May 28, 2003 8:38 pm

Conga and Tumba, that is my opinion. That is what the classical players always have. Methinks there is too much emphasis on quinto since you can use them for soloing and sound so good.

I had three drums for many years, a quinto,conga,Tumba...The quinto was very narrow (about 9 inches) and has to squeeze in to play it, in some cases my nails will run into the top of the other hands fingers. Now I only use two and will not trade it for the world !

A conga, on the other hand, can be tuned higher and have a higher pitched sound like a quinto. A conga with a tumba gives you that nice two drum rhythm that you can do all kinds of neat stuff with...
TresGolpes

Postby Tony » Wed May 28, 2003 9:23 pm

Thank you so much, Tres. Your opinon is greatly valued.

I've also done more searching on this site and have found a world of information. I'm sorry for asking such a reduntant question. I didn't realize there were forums within pages here. Please accept my apologies.

I will be registering with Tony, if it's not taken. If not, perhaps CongaTone.

Thank you!!!
Tony

Postby qualitydag » Thu May 29, 2003 2:55 am

Dude, do get a conga and tumba for sure!
You can always use the conga as a quinto another day!
Come check out my book that you might dig for learing handcoordination and syncopation exercises. Ignore the learn quinto licks part until you've become good at playing rhythm, but you can really get good handcoordination exercises in the form of afrocuban syncopation all in once.

http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?productid=99189BCD

Anyway a conga and tumba is a "complete set"
qualitydag

Postby RayBoogie » Fri May 30, 2003 4:44 am

Hey Tony, the conga-tumba combo is the way to go! I have four drums, (requinto, quinto, conga and tumba). When gigging, I always use two drums (conga-tumba). Many top congueros use the conga-tumba combo.
RayBoogie

Postby 120decibels » Fri May 30, 2003 12:59 pm

Welcome Tony!

I'll jump on the other side of this issue.

First, if I were to buy two drums, I'd agree that the conga/tumba combo is the way to go.

However, like Ray, I have four drums (requinto, quinto, conga, tumba). When gigging or playing dance classes, I bring my quinto and tumba. With those two drums, I have the widest range of pitch and sound on two drums.

As I understand it, my opinion is the more "traditional" or "old-school" approach. However, if you have the choice, do what makes you happy. There are equal pros and cons to both sides of this discussion.

My $0.02,

Zach
120decibels

Postby CongaTone » Fri May 30, 2003 3:28 pm

Hey Guys:

Me again, under my new registered name. Thanks again for your responces and thank you for your warm welcome; believe me, it's very much appreciated. The deal has been made, I'm the proud owner of LP Classics, tumba and quinto. Although I know these drums are way beyond my technical ability, I know I'll grow into them and maybe one day down the road buy the conga.

I live in Miami, Florida and have been a musician for over 20 years. I'm Cuban-American, but I've always played Rock music for the most part of my musical journey. Five years ago, I met a girl who opened my eyes and changed my life and the way I hear music. Since then, I've been paying closer attention to my roots and getting into something totally different. Little by little, I've been practicing styles of music that have givin me a whole new love for music. The congas for me represent what I've been after these past five.

So once again, thank you for your warm welcomes!

By the way, I did marry that girl and we're expecting a little one in August.

Cheers to all of you from Little Havana, USA
Tony
CongaTone

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri May 30, 2003 11:53 pm

Hi Tony...this is JC JOHNNY CONGA ...did we ever meet while I was living in Miami.???? I had a latin jazz band there. who are you playing with in Miami????....I would be surprised being there are no places to really play,anymore...I was the conga player on the Beach at the Old Living Room club on Washington and a few other places like the "Touch" restaurant. So Que Bola ,asere?....at your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.......www.showgigs.com/johnnyconga/index.html ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby CongaTone » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:09 pm

Yo Johnny:

For as long as I've been living here(25 years), Miami has always been a mystery to me, especially the music scene. In the late 80's early 90's I remember playing a few places on the beach (ie washington square, Cactus, Stephen Talk House etc.), and saying to myself this has to get better; well, it got a lot worse. There are just a handful of places to go now; which wouldn't surprise me is the reason you may have left. I've got my theroys about why Miami is this way, which over a few drinks and years later, my friends and I still discuss. Very sad, considering it seems this place has exploded in the last couple of years, but as far as the music scene, nothing has changed. Don't get me wrong I love this town, but I feel a lot of musicians who should have made it slipped through the cracks here. Miami is the kind of place that you love and hate.

I've been long retired from music at least playing out, but I always keep a close eye on things. What I've been doing the last couple of years is what I did when I was a kid, have my own descargas at my house: few brews, lechon and live music; now that's my idea of a club!

Later Bro

Tone
CongaTone

Return to Open Discussion