Basic Techniques - Bass tone

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby NO_FRONT'N » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:23 pm

In executing the single stroke roll on a conga, bass tone, is it acceptable practice to control from the elbow, in preference to the wrist?
NO_FRONT'N

Postby 120decibels » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:28 pm

I think that it would be very difficult to get a good bass tone if you controled using wrists. The bass tone involves the elbow more than other strokes. Since I play most of my bass tones with the heel of my hand, it is hard for me to imagine using my wrists.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question....

Zach
120decibels

Postby NO_FRONT'N » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:54 pm

That's exactly my concern. Some resources only identify using the heel area of the hand, but for me, this "feels" rather awkward, especially while executing the roll.

Thanks for the reply,
nfn
NO_FRONT'N

Postby Simon B » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:42 pm

Yes it's as Zach says the bass stroke tends to come more from a forearm than a wrist movement.

The term 'heel' can mean different things in my book. On the one hand I always assume it can refer to the palm (i.e. from end of wrist to beginning of fingers), which is surely the area used for the conventional bass stoke. On the other hand it points to that wrist-end of the palm ('heel') of the palm which can be struck on the skin for a different kind of bass effect (emphasising the deep bass note but losing out on some of the palm contact with the flat bass stroke), a little like striking the skin with the bottom of the fist. Striking with the heel I always have the fingers raised a good inch or so - helps me differentiate the stroke. If your amibitious you can follow Giovanni's lead and try to make your palm strikes into effective double-strokes!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby 120decibels » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:40 am

Simon,

Thanks for adding the info about the "heel." Your post was a great explanation of something I've come to take for granted.

Nice work!

Zach
120decibels

Return to Open Discussion