Giovanni on straight Jazz recordings

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Simon B » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:28 am

Hello all, I understand that Gio has often worked with big bands, e.g. Dizzy Gillespie's. What CDs are there to look out for with him in this position? I'm particularly interested in hearing the patterns he puts together though solos never go amiss, and of course the congas being relatively high in the mix is favourable.

Thanks

Simon
Simon B

Postby RayBoogie » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:57 am

Hey Simon, I hope all is well. You should checkout "TIMESHIFTER". It's a great cd, and Gio has some top notch musicians in it. This is Giovanni leading this group of talents. Even Armando Perarza get's down on one of the tracks.
RayBoogie

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:56 am

Yes ,the United Nations Orchestra with Giovanni,some good stuff there. Also Gio with Michel Camillo-"smokin"!...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Janga » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:36 am

Hello.
Get Michel Camilo´s "One More Once".
If you're interested in DVD's, get Dizzy's "Dizzy Gillespie - Live at the Royal Festival Hall, London"
Janga

Postby Simon B » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:08 pm

Thanks guys

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:28 am

Yo ...has anybody heard of Eddy Perales?? I heard him on DMX television and this tune came on and at first i thought Gio, then I thought Roberto Quintero, but it was a little different from them both and yet the same incredible Gio style, it was Eddy Perales.......any info on this "helluva" player?.....Need to know...JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:45 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Yo ...has anybody heard of Eddy Perales?? I heard him on DMX television and this tune came on and at first i thought Gio, then I thought Roberto Quintero, but it was a little different from them both and yet the same incredible Gio style, it was Eddy Perales.......any info on this "helluva" player?.....Need to know...JC JOHNNY CONGA...

Hi JC, hope all is well! Never heard of Eddy Perales. When you find out keep us posted. Have you heard of Yaroldy Abreu from Cuba? A scary player in his early twenty's. Currently playing on Chucho Valdes cuartet, check him out!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby ChiChi » Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:45 pm

Giovanni Hidalgo, wow, that name says it all......Check out Hands of rhythm with Michelle Camilo. By far, its Giovanni's best work to date.

Peace,

ChiChi
ChiChi

Postby bongo steve » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:24 pm

easy!!!

i dont Know if any of u guys have seen any of the mans videos,
got all his stuff, shocking!!!
cheack out 'one on one' or 'conga virtuoso'
bongo steve

Return to Open Discussion