reading music or by ear - whats best

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby rumbaman » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:47 pm

What do you guys think is best. Learning by reading or by visual methods . I have learned by visual , but i would like to learn by reading also . As latin percussion players what do you all think . :D
rumbaman

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:55 pm

I have learned that to have more in your arsenal makes you a stronger player. Reading notation opens up the world of "studio session" work if you can get it. Loui Conte, Ritchie Gajate Garcia and others in L.A. have learned to read for just that reason to be able to play for movie scores and make the big bucks. Some session players can get up to 3,000 dollars a session .Paulinho Da Costa gets more than any percussionist that has ever recorded and he's on about 7,000 albums on all genres. Reading is only going to make you a better musician. having "ears" to play is one thing and to be able to read is another. The combination of reading and listening is the best combo of course. I strongly believe in "developing an ear" for playing alone and in an ensamble. James Brown does not read music but his ears were made by God......as he tells it.....JC JOHNNY CONGA....WHO CAN ARGUE WITH JAMES BROWN? ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Simon B » Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:01 pm

JC does Paulinho still keep up that work-rate? What kinds of things has he done lately?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby tamboricua » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:37 pm

Simon B wrote:JC does Paulinho still keep up that work-rate? What kinds of things has he done lately?

Simon B

Hi Simon B, hope all is well! Check out Paulinho's site at:

Paulinho da Costa site!

Check out the album and films credits page. Humongous! Man, talking about the session player in LA!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Return to Open Discussion