Bomba quinto lock?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Tonio » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:40 am

Hi all,
Hope as is well.
So is there such a thing as quinto lock for Bomba? as like rumba (matanzas, gauaguanco, yambu what have you)They a
have established quinto lock"rides", and I did'nt really notice
that with bomba, though there is an underlining feel or expression of one, along with complimentary riffs and rolls etc..
And any recommendations on conjuntos, groups tht I can study for brushing up on bomba rythmn would be appreciated.
I have a Anthony Carillo cd that has a bomba tune, which is great.
Bomba bomba bombeeerrrrooooooo!!

T
Tonio

Postby Tonio » Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:49 am

No one can make any recommendations?:( Did I post this in the wrong board?
Or was my question confusing?

T
Tonio

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:31 am

Tonio wrote:Hi all,
Hope as is well.
So is there such a thing as quinto lock for Bomba? as like rumba (matanzas, gauaguanco, yambu what have you)They a
have established quinto lock"rides", and I did'nt really notice
that with bomba, though there is an underlining feel or expression of one, along with complimentary riffs and rolls etc..
And any recommendations on conjuntos, groups tht I can study for brushing up on bomba rythmn would be appreciated.
I have a Anthony Carillo cd that has a bomba tune, which is great.
Bomba bomba bombeeerrrrooooooo!!

T

I strongly recommend you buy William Cepeda cds. In one of the Giovanni Hidalgo instructional videos he touches couple of bomba rhythms. There are several variations/styles of "Bomba", very intricate rhythms. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby Tonio » Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:04 am

RitmoBoricua
Thanks for the reply: William Cepeda I will check it out.
I am familiar enough to play each drum pattern , I learned long ago. I just haven't really studied the quinto part much, due to lack of resources.
I guess I always loved rumba more, but have more appreciation for it now. Funny I was the one on quinto with a ensemble I was in.

Thanks again
T
Tonio

Postby tamboricua » Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:38 pm

Tonio wrote:So is there such a thing as quinto lock for Bomba?

Hola Tonio, hope all is well! There isn't such a thing, (bomba lock), in the bomba tradition of Puerto Rico. Although there are some common or basic repiques, golpes that are very popular among Primo players. Primo is the highest drum, the one doing the soloing and in rhythm interaction with the "bailador" or "bailadora" in the bomba ensemble.

Anthony Carrillo's "Mis Raíces" is a good example of Bomba from Santurce, also known as Bomba Cangrejera. I don't know if you are familiar, but there are some regional differences within the Bomba tradition in Puerto Rico. In the north part of the island the most popular traditions are: Bomba Cangrejera=Cepeda's, and the Bomba from Loíza=Hermanos Ayala. The keepers of the flame of the bomba tradition from the south is Paracumbé.

The Primo player on Anthony's CD is none other than David Ortíz better known as "La Mole". David was the tumbador for many years of Rafael Cortijo y su Combo. Very rooted in the Bomba tradition from Santurce. Check out Modesto Cepeda Cd's he has several available, also Paracumbé,"Puerto Rico también tiene Tambó".

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on Nov. 08 2003 at 17:08
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:44 am

Bomba itself really does not have a Quinto ride. Remember this is a dance rhythm and it is up to the lead drum to know every step of the dance routine just as well as the dancer, that way the "high" drum can "accentuate" the steps or movements with the dancer. Today drummers are not learning how to play for dancers and you can't
have one with out the other really. Can you imagine Rumba with no Dance?..Yes when your 'jamming" but in the proper context the dancers are an integral part of the whole. So don't forget "you play for the dancers more than for yourself"....Hope this helps....JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Tonio » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:19 am

Jorge,
Thank you on the history!! It gives me more things to research
& study.I never knew the differences of Bomba , and expressions from regions.
I believe that mis raices is the one I have. Great album
Also thanks to RimtoBoricua, I got some more info from W. Cepeda's sight.
And as both you and JC says: no quinto lock. I started remembering as soon as I played some more (bomba), that it was a solo for the dancers more than a lock or ride.

A few years back I did play an"forklorico" ensemble and we had 2 dancers. We played many styles bomba, rumba -guaguanco, and matanzas, kinda of a compilation, bembe, makuta, palo, and some haitian rythmn that I don't even remember now.

I also attended "classes" mainly for dancers to learn, but the drumming was always my passion. We did solo for the dancers. Though most of the dancers would rather have a african rythmn (ON DJEMBE) than what a conguero would like.
As far as drummers there seems to be more of an popularity to rumba more than bomba, at least in my part of the USA.

Thanks agian

T

Edited By Tonio on Nov. 11 2003 at 00:29
Tonio

Postby tamboricua » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:46 pm

Tonio wrote:As far as drummers there seems to be more of an popularity to rumba more than bomba, at least in my part of the USA.

No problem Tonio, a la orden! Where are you based these days?

All the best,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby tamboricua » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:42 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:That way the "high" drum can "accentuate" the steps or movements with the dancer.

In the bomba tradition of Puerto Rico, this is known as "piquete". The bailadores piden piquete to the Primo drummer. Check out Tata Cepeda and the late Luis Daniel "Chichito" Cepeda doing their thing on the video documentaries Raíces and Dancing the Drum.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:28 pm

tamboricua wrote:
JohnnyConga wrote:That way the "high" drum can "accentuate" the steps or movements with the dancer.

In the bomba tradition of Puerto Rico, this is known as "piquete". The bailadores piden piquete to the Primo drummer. Check out Tata Cepeda and the late Luis Daniel "Chichito" Cepeda doing their thing on the video documentaries Raíces and Dancing the Drum.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

..."Piquete" we used that word in Puerto Rico a lot back in the day. We used it to describe certain riff in "Güiro" (el instrumento vegetal) to descirbe some fancy dancing (baila con mucho piquete) and to the pool table (dale mucho piquete a la blanca). "Piquete" quite a Rican slang! :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby Tonio » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:49 pm

tamboricua wrote:
Tonio wrote:As far as drummers there seems to be more of an popularity to rumba more than bomba, at least in my part of the USA.

No problem Tonio, a la orden! Where are you based these days?

All the best,

Jorge Ginorio

Jorge,
I am in San Diego!

T
Tonio

Postby Tonio » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:52 pm

Great!! I'm learning Rican slang too!! Gotta love this board.

Tony
Tonio

Return to Open Discussion